Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 4-Stroke 90cc everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Arctic Cat 4-Stroke 90cc everything

Ok, I have nothing! started working on this atv that we bought from someone else. brake light worked and it tried to crank! so I drain the gas (it was almost black) and cleaned the carburator the best I could... changed the oil. now nothing wont do nothing I didn't touch anything electrical so it must have a short. I tried to kick start it - don't even know if you can do that with the wiring not working. What do I need to do. I am thinking the ignition wire must be the one that is shorting out cause it acts like the key is never on? I am disgusted with it because it was at least trying to start now nothing. HELP!!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Range Rover
Cool Fixed That, Now What?

I found the short, and wiring problem for the most part solved! Now it sounds dry when I try to start it? Don't know what you would call that it tries but doesn't turn over. Any suggestions?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by verifying spark to the plug, pull the plug out, hook it to the coil wire and see if it sparks when lying against the engine. Also, afer trying to start, pull the plug and see if it is damp with gas, could be flooding, or not getting any gas at all. If the old gas was as nasty as you say, the ports in the carb could be blocked, it may need to be taken apart and soaked, or take it to a dealer that has an ultrasonic carb bath, that will get all the crud out.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Range Rover
Question I got spark but still won't turn over

I checked and yes I get spark. I know its not flooding, not sure if its getting gas or not. Could the hoses be clogged up? I don't have a fuel filter on it or I would start there. I do know that the wiring has a major short - a red wire that is supposed to have a fuse thats connected to the positive on the battery (If I don't have a brake light I can wiggle that and then eventually, brake light - usually stays on unless that wire gets moved to much). I also notice that the starter gets really hot and the black part on the wire does to? Is that normal, if I knew... I wouldn't be asking. I really don't know if there is anything missing (cdi, or wire of some sort.. is there a tether kill swith on 2004 4-Stroke 90cc?) I have tried to kick start it, but nothing. Sometimes it clicks but usually it tries to turn over. Also, the first post about that wire I didn't know where it went - I found it goes to the carb supposed to hook on some black part but my carb doesn't have anything to hook it to - maybe a sensor of some sort? Is that my problem or is it bypassable. Thanks
Oh I forgot - I couldn't get the bowl off the carb because I stripped the screw out (I don't have any clue how to fix that, don't want to buy a new carb over a screw though) I dang sure don't want to heat that screw up to get it off LOL! WD-40?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I've had good luck getting stripped carb bowl screws off with a needle nose vice grip, then replace them with allen head bolts, and anti seize them. Sounds like there may be some wiring problems, try to google a wiring schematic for it. The starter will get hot if you crank it a lot, its and electric motor, and that power gets converted to motion and heat, longer you crank it, the hotter it gets, they are only meant to spin a few seconds to start a motor. try squriting a little carb cleaner in the carb while you crank it, if it fires up, you are not getting fuel, could be stuck needle and seat, or plugged petcock on tank.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Lightbulb Arctic Cat 90cc stator - and fuel cut-off

I keep reading about a stator on atv's.... does mine have one and how would I check to see if it worked? Also, my fuel cut-off ****... it has 3 hoses 2 on the left and one on the right. to make sure they are right where do they go. I don't think I'm getting fuel where its supposed to go. My next step is taking off the carb. I am going to try and get that screw that is stripped off there this evening. Will keep posted on how that goes!

Oh and I checked the compression with my finger over the hole where the spark plug goes and it blows... don't know how hard its supposed to but it seemed like that is not a problem.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Range Rover
Smile Carb off.... Uh oh!

I took pictures as I took the screws out, until I turned it upside down and 3 little pieces fell out of the outside of the hole on top. Is this going to be hard to get back together? I am soaking it hopefully gasoline is right cause if not then my husband is a complete idiot. I have done everything to this point. I may need help with the putting the carb back together. Detailed help... we will see in a few hours how it goes! Any suggestions on the easiest method or order to do it.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Cool Hole at the bottom, not underneath, the carb!!

Ok I did get it cleaned... it was clogged up at the bottom! Very Very Clogged!! Now I got it all back together except the part that was clogged apparently whoever had this before me thought nothing went there because I know I didn't take anything off of there. What goes there? a hose, a screw, if I turn the gas on gas goes everywhere. I have one line from the motor to an black cylinder thing with a hose that aint long enough to go to anything, one from the gas tank to the cut off and one from the cut off to the carb. what all am I supposed to have??? I am sure that if I get the bottom where the gas is coming out figured out that I can crank it this time!!! Please Help!!! I just about got this thing running!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

seriously... could someone please tell me where the hose goes on from the bottom of the carb and if the screw has a spring on it that is by the bottom of the carb? Please Im so ready for this adventure to be over...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

that sounds like your bowel drain/overflow, there is a higher port in you carb bowl that connects to the bottom, a hose goes on there and if the bowl overfills, the excess gas drains out the hose to the ground. the screw there (it does have a spring on it) is a manual drain you use if you want to empty the carb to work on it, or if you got water in the carb from a deep water hole or aggressive pressure washing.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat 4-Stroke 90cc everything