Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

swamped bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swamped bike

hey sunk my bike in water hole and it stalled drained water out of it got it running just wonering what else i should do beside change oil and plug.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post swamped bike

You should check your air box and check your duck bills as well , just make sure you get all the water out !

williebee..........

Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Williebee
You should check your air box and check your duck bills as well , just make sure you get all the water out !

williebee..........
I'm new to Arctic Cats. Been a Grizzly Owner for several years. I've seen several mentions of "duckbills", but I'm not sure what is meant. I haven't been through much deep water, yet, but have splashed across river crossings enough that I start to get belt slippage. I'm wondering if you can get me pointed in the right direction to start sealing this cat up?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

In side, but under the air box and in the belt housing air intake tubing there are rubber plugs. They are hanging from the tube for the belt housing down low,incase water gets in side it will drain out the duck bill plug. Its called a duck bill plug b/c it looks like a ducks bill. There is one in the air box as well incase water gets inside it will drain out. They need to be checked though b/c dirt,mud,debre gets stuck in it and will not drain. The plug is also designed to keep water from going up inside the airbox,but will allow it to drain. this is the easiest way i can think to explain them. Look under the airfilter box and you will see it hanging there,its black.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info! These are for letting the belt housing drain, but I'm having trouble with slippage just from splashing. I haven't crossed anything seriously deep yet. Are the duckbills known for letting water IN as well? What's the thought on waterproofing the AC? Do I seal the plugs and hope they never leak? Re-route tubes to get them higher? I've done a search on waterproofing, but so far I haven't found much on this forum. Any links would help...thanks again!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the duck bill plug may or may not be the issue. When riding through water sometimes it will splash up into the intake and work its way past the plug. The plug requires a certain amount of water force to open it and drain the water,so if a little gets in then it will get past the plug and could slip the belt a little. Another thing to check is the actual drain plug for the belt housing. Look under the atv,there is a hole in the skid plate under the belt housing towards the front of it and you will see a black drain plug. Pull it out and water may drain if thats the case. You may need pliers to pull it out,my skid plat is warped so its hard to get my fingers in there. Maybe the seal on the belt housing also. May check it. Another thing to check is the rear tube to the belt housing,it may have broke the seal there as well. There is a front tube to bring air in and there is a rear tube to allow the air to exit,so it has air flow.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I completely submerged a few and there all running great.
Don,t forget to drain the carb bowl and the diffs and tranny everthing with a vent hose. Stand the ATV on end and dain the pipe.

Believe it or not its hard for the water to enter the gas tank. But why not change that also.