Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.

Hello, My name is Kane. I don't have a father or any father figure in my life nor any friends who know much about cars or ATVs or really any mechanics. My skill set is computes and hopefully today you can help me learn a thing or 2 to get myself ready for this spring.

ATV Information:
Model: Arctic Cat 700 Diesel TRV
Year: 2007
KM: 500

Small History:
Bought the ATV back in 2009 brand new for about half the market value. I had one rollover that year that ended up going slow motion where I was able to bail out before getting hurt. I had a switch on that was spinning the wheels the same and hit loose gravel and ended up learning a lesson from that. From that I ended up bending the front bumper and causing some the fender to be pushed in around where you shift the gears. I bent the bumper back and over time the plastic went back to its form and never been much of an issue since.

The next year (2010) I had battery issues from the long winter. I only ride in the spring to fall but the battery had pretty much depleted. I did my first oil change and made a frigan mess and even forgot how to do one now. During that year I had a branch tear a crack into my fender and I tried fixing it with some special glue and yeah lesson learn don't use glue! That year I had my CV boot torn and had a family friend do a one in a life time fav for me and helped me replace it. Actually he replaced it while I tried to figure out what he was doing while screaming at certain things that had upset him.

3 Years Later. (2013) I'm ready to ride again. I had been away for a bit and now back home and the ATV was in the garage on the trailer in good condition. I do have of course some wear and tear issues that I need help fixing as well as information. The Battery at this point will not start at all. It's 100% dead battery and I hear at this point there not good to try to charge up again? This is where hopefully you guys adopt me as your Internet Son! I'm the boy with the brain issues so remember to be a bit clear for me. Even examples would be amazing.

So here is a list of everything I need to buy and have and doing. Hopefully you can help me with this list. Another issue is I am Canadian and its a bit hard to import anything from the states. I'm trying my best to buy all my parts in Canada.

Shop:
  • New Battery ??? Mines been sitting almost 3 Years with no charge.
  • Engine Oil not sure if I want 0w-40 or 5-40? Also I think I need Wet Clutch? This is what I used before: Image
  • Gear Oil - I'm told that I need front and rear diff fluids and 80/90?
  • Coolant 50/50 premixed prestone. Now do I need to replace or only top up?

Have:
  • Oil Filter Lombardini Diesel - 3206-194
  • Air Filter Main - 0470-619
  • Air Filter Safety - 0470-620

Other Issues:
  • Bumper Bar Paint Chipping off where it was bent and bent back after the rollover. Image
  • I need some kind of rivets or pins or something for these 2 spots: Image 1, Image 2
  • I need to replace my Crack Fender but at this time that is to costly. So I was thinking drilling holes and using small ties to stitch it up? Image

Thanks a ton I don't have the money to visit a mechanic and I'm sort of on my own. It's been a bit harder having more of a unique atv but hopefully someone out there will be able to help me out!

Here is some pictures back from 2009

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-xjnnhkqh.jpg

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-idmeuvih.jpg

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-psexs0uh.jpg

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a pretty nice quad you got there, unfortunately, not a lot of diesels out there, so don't know how many of us can help you engine wise.
If it has been sitting for 3 years, the battery is toast, as are all the fluids, I would go with a good synthetic 75-90 for the differentials, now for the motor, since it is a diesel, I'm not sure if you want to run a diesel rated oil or an ATV wet clutch oil, but if you were using the Amsoil before, can't think of a better oil to use.
for the bumpers, I see it is a gloss black paint, any good epoxy based paint should work good, just scuff it up with Scotchbrite pads or fine grit sand paper to give new paint a good surface to stick, wipe it all down with alcohol to remove any oil or grease first. I have used spray on truck bed liner from Walmart, it is a rougher finish, but tough and easy to touch up.
Looks like you are missing the push in plastic rivets for the fender mounts, you can get them by the bag pretty cheap off eBay, and for that fender crack, because of the position of it, what I would do is cut a piece of aluminum to fit the are, put it on the inside of the fender and rivet it along both sides of the crack, you can even dab a little paint on the rivet heads to blend in better.
Good luck and keep us posted on how its going.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a ton for the information. I'm going to hopefully next weekend start on this operation.

The hardest part at this point I think is going to be getting a Battery. I need a really powerful one to fit the slot. As far as I know Diesel ATV's take a bit more juice. This might be why I have a 40 amp Alternator on the ATV.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

i would go 2 Artic Cat and ask them def 4 a batt, since they kno the best 4 ur diesel engine...lotta compression they would kno the rite batt 4 u...and maybe ask them wut oil they suggest, doesnt mean u need 2 buy from them...

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the battery, you should be able to find a bigger one, they often come in the same case size, but you may be able to get one that is taller to fit, the bigger the battery, the more amps it can put out. A battery rated for a big V twin like a Harley should have more cranking amps than one for a standard ATV.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Trailblazer

I did some research on the Odyssey PC680. It has only 17 AH, That is really to bad since it seems to be recommended like crazy. With the Diesel ATV I'm pretty sure I want a 21-22 AH. At least I'm learning something here. Not sure if there is something that is well known for 21-22. At this point I can google search a lot of 21-22's but I'm not sure how to tell if there good besides the ASG Part.. Could one 22AH from another 22 be really bad or different?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice atv!

wish I could help- but I know nothing about Diesel AC's

although- I'd absolutely love to have a diesel atv

Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I live in Canada and needed a battery quick for my Grizzly and the Yamaha dealer wanted $150.
I bought one at Canadian tire for $65 and it works great. I never started the ATV for 4 months and it started right up this weekend with out a boost.

Wount hurt to call your AC dealer. I bought a Polaris OEM battery for my 500 and the dealer only charged me $75 which I thought was not bad.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
I live in Canada and needed a battery quick for my Grizzly and the Yamaha dealer wanted $150.
I bought one at Canadian tire for $65 and it works great. I never started the ATV for 4 months and it started right up this weekend with out a boost.

Wount hurt to call your AC dealer. I bought a Polaris OEM battery for my 500 and the dealer only charged me $75 which I thought was not bad.
Someone suggested MotoBatt MBTX24U. It's 125$ on Amazon and be willing to pay for 25 AH. Downside is it costs 70+ Shipping.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

What a Costly Night... I think I might have went a little overboard but hopefully oil never spoils Everything came to about $350 with tax.

Here is the list of what I got:
  • 5L 0W-40 Synthetic Shell Rotella (I did not bother with AMSOIL... It's now $15 a L... This was $40 for 5L.)
  • Prestone Pre-Mixed I think 3-4L.
  • 1L - 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
  • 5L - 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (Why did I buy 2? The guy said you pretty much need the 1L for doing it sideways as he says this is how most are done and you gotta sort of squeeze it and the 5L one is impossible to do. I HAVE NO CLUE how much gear oil I need but it never goes bad right? So well oil prices do go up LOL...)
  • G1100 NOCO Genius Charger. (This cost $60 but the reviews on Amazing were insane. In fact near perfect. I tried it on my Old Battery and it was BLINKING like mad. Pretty much what I read online aka bad battery)
  • 24HL-BS Battery (Now the Canadian Tire guy says they don't have AH on anything there.. He said he was pretty sure it was 24AH and I need to point out the BS at the end means Bullshit :P, Though goolging it seems to be about 21AH. That seems good enough. He said it was there best battery at that size and AGM and he did it right there for me at the store, Cost me $140... But if it works then I'm happy)

So I got home I waited about 4 hours after getting home to start the charger. This was so the acid or whatever had time to soak into the glass stuff.. Though HE NEVER told me any of this nor any advice he said just ho home and charge it.

I woke up today and the battery was fully charged. Now I guess it acts as a trickle charger and only charges it when its needed.

This weekend I plan on doing my fluids. Not sure on how to do the Gear Oil at all. Not sure if there is tips and advice at all for that. Though I do know that it's heavier and that is pretty much it. I don't know how to drain it or anything at this point...

Now Oil changing I done once before with a friend. I forgot all that and I know the nut is underneath the machine you can get it through the bottom protect plate. Though I gotta watch it because there is 2 and I think I did something wrong before.

Not sure where the coolant drain is but these are things I'm going have to read the manual over and over to figure them out. Sometimes their not made for idiots like me.

Thankfully my friend is coming up this weekend so the 2 of us should figure it out...

Any other tips or advice would be wonderful. I had issues finding the Plastic Rivets for the ATV. I really having bad luck for these. People say Canadian Tire Ebay.. Amazon but if they only could actually link me to it :P There is 100000's them in the world haha

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.