Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Anyone Familiar With A 2003 400 Arctic Cat CVT 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Familiar With A 2003 400 Arctic Cat CVT 4x4?

I just bought a very clean used 400 AC. Not familar with this brand but really like the looks of this quad and the way it's built. The width of the tires is wider than any other quad I've owned and I was thinking it had wheel spacers but after looking closely it doesn't appear to. It looks like it'll probably wrap the rider up in mud unless there are some fender flares or extensions made for it.

What's the good and bad on this ATV? I know every model tends to have some common problems with something on them.

The only thing I've seen with it so far is the top bushing of the steering shaft has some side to side play in it. With only 390 miles on it I can't see it being worn to much and it doesn't appear to be but if a new bushing would tighten it up I'd put one in it. If anyone else has this model please tell me if your steering has this side to side movement or not, just makes a bump in the handle bars when riding across bumpy terrain. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not familiar with Arctic Cat ATVs (love there sleds though) The good news is its the exact same Suzuki built 376cc motor and primary clutch used in the 400 Eiger/King Quad 400. I know there very reliable.

http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...2=307761&go=Go

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

It should be a great ATV with the suzuki engine. However, some of the Suzuki 400's were built with bad magneto's. They work fine until the magnets glue lets loose and they slide and move and cause the engine not to spark properly. You may never have the issue, but if it ever wont start and there is no spark or it is sparking at the wrong time, then I would check that first.

Like was said though, the Suzuki engine/transmission setup should be great and I think Arctic Cat makes a pretty good ATV. Should give you lots of good service if you take care of it.

Here is a review. They also talk about the engine revving higher than what is normal(as you mentioned in your other thread). Could be something arctic cat changed with the clutching to help power since it is a pretty heavy ATV.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Strange review, at 2:20 into vid and latter on in the spec printout they call the 376 a liguid cooled. LOL

I guess they can,t tell the difference between a oil Cooler and a Radiator.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by TLC
Strange review, at 2:20 into vid and latter on in the spec printout they call the 376 a liguid cooled. LOL

I guess they can,t tell the difference between a oil Cooler and a Radiator.
that year was a liquid cooled 400. See that aluminum looking piece in front that is vertical? thats the radiator. Because that year the arctic cat 400 was actually a 371cc liquid cooled engine. Then came arctic cats 375 model which was a 376cc air/oil cooled engine for i think one year then they got rid of the original 371cc engine and kept the 376cc and called it their 400 model. Now days i think they are all gone and now have a 366cc made by kymco,could be wrong on that though.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
that year was a liquid cooled 400. See that aluminum looking piece in front that is vertical? thats the radiator. Because that year the arctic cat 400 was actually a 371cc liquid cooled engine. Then came arctic cats 375 model which was a 376cc air/oil cooled engine for i think one year then they got rid of the original 371cc engine and kept the 376cc and called it their 400 model. Now days i think they are all gone and now have a 366cc made by kymco,could be wrong on that though.
No . http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...hicleCode=5738

There was no special Edition Suzuki motor for that year and bike.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I realize now i sound like a smart *** but that was not my intentions TLC. I worded everything to sound that way but i guess i just started thinking ahead while typing. I also confused my years on which ones were liquid cool and the year that they changed CC's. either way there were a year or two i believe that the 400 was a liquid cooled 371cc. While i believe or thought after 2003, it became an air/oil cooled engine. i could be wrong on the years. sorry again.

you must have beat me to it...I stand corrected,2002 was the first year for air cooled 400s for the cat. 2001 and older are 371cc liquid cooled engines and the last year before the model change.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
No . http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...hicleCode=5738

There was no special Edition Suzuki motor for that year and bike.
I'm sure it's probably a misprint but that link does show the engine as liquid cooled but in the cooling section says air/oil. LOL Only on the (ACT) model. Is the (ACT) model a straight axle? The description I see says 4 bar independent travel. I know the old Kawasaki Bayous used a semi independent, is it something like that?

2003 Models 400 4X4 (ACT)

ENGINELiquid-cooled with fan, 4-stroke, 4-valve SOHC DISPLACEMENT376ccBORE X STROKEN/ACARBURETIONN/AFUEL TANK CAPACITY4.8 gallons COOLINGAir and Oil cooled with fan

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Like i said ,I,m not familiar with AC ATVs, they make the chassis but they sub contract the motor on that ATV from Suzuki.

It use the 400 Eiger's/KQ's motor and clutch but after that,its all Arctic Cat.

most AC atvs have IRS.

Looks like there was a 371 liquid cooled offered in 2002 but discontinued in 2003. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...le2=3213&go=Go

That ACT looks to be that short lived odd ball combo straight axle that could pivot. Kinda of inbetween SRA and IRS.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

I've drove a few of the Kawasaki's with the semi independent straight axle and actually have a little 220 Bayou with it and I just never liked the body roll in the curves that they have, wonder if the SRA AC's are like that?

Quick Reply: Anyone Familiar With A 2003 400 Arctic Cat CVT 4x4?