Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Parisite drain on Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parisite drain on Battery

Battery which is new will go dead in 2 days while sitting. Checked the input to the battery while running and it appears to be good. If I disconnect the battery from the Atv it does not go dead. frustrated to say the least

Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Completely a stab in the dark, but is this a stock atv? or one with electrical mods? May be a switch gone bad that doesn't shut off internally. If something is "hard" wired to the battery, it may be constantly drawing power. As I have never experienced this, there are just too many variables to say "this is what it is". If it were me, I would probably make sure I had a full charge, hook up the battery and get out the test light. Start poking at everything that uses electricity and see if you have power where you shouldn't when the key is off.
Know this isn't much help and for that I apologize.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

to a Google search for how to hook up a multimeter for the drain. I can never remember. then disconnect your winch and start pulling fuses until the drain disapeares then you will have a idea of what is causing it

Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Range Rover

If you have a winch and you can operate it with the keys in your pocket, it's wired directly to your battery and there is your draw.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
If you have a winch and you can operate it with the keys in your pocket, it's wired directly to your battery and there is your draw.
Not necessarily some are wired where they will not work unless key is on. Don't see to many that way but they are out their. Now if the winch controller is having issues no matter what way it is wired it could be causing a drain. But normally the winch will not cause a drain. Out of all my machines no matter how long they sit the batt is still good

Old 03-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Zrock
Not necessarily some are wired where they will not work unless key is on. Don't see to many that way but they are out their. Now if the winch controller is having issues no matter what way it is wired it could be causing a drain. But normally the winch will not cause a drain. Out of all my machines no matter how long they sit the batt is still good
Exactly. If the OP can operate the winch without the key set to ON (i.e. keys in his pocket), the winch is wired directly to the battery and would have to be rewired to a wire that is only "hot" when the key is set to ON. We're on the same page.