Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 500 trv eletrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 500 trv eletrical problem

i bought this arctic cat atv 5 years ago and the speedo pod never did work on it.so i replaced it and still didn't work til this past winter when i got it stuck in ice in a brook.next day i went to get it out and had forgotten it in reverse over nite.when i turned on the key the dash lit up long enough for me to read the kms on it then it dimmed back out like a watch going dead and ever sense that nothing lights on on dash and wont start on the starter button but starts right up with the pull cord.i did notice that the netural light when started is dim but when i turn on the headlights it brightens right up.am wondering where the problem could be.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

i checked all fuses and battery is fully charged..i may add that i swapped out the pod 2 years ago.it used to start on the button on first try.now has nothing showing when key is turned on.please give this Newfie something to go by.am guessing there's a wire broke off or something,maybe the voltage regulator.it starts up with pull cord on the first pull. any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default found the cure.

i fixed it..i bought a bombardier..gave up on the arctic cat.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

I think it was an easy fix. I've heard that you just remove the circuit board , clean with a tooth brush and alcohol. Anyway, good luck with the Can Am, they are nice machines. I've been looking at them for a replacement for my old AC 400.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Hydrex.I appreciate the advice.I'm guessing you mean the circuit board in the speed-o pod. I'm giving the Arctic Cat to a buddy a mine to use if i can fix it.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ralphinator, yes, direct your buddy over to <ArcticChat.com> tell him to search for a fix, rather than replacing the pod. Probably applicable to any ATV. So what did you buy for a CanAm? CanAm has a couple models that I really like.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hydrex . I bought a 2003 Bombaridier Traxter 500 4x4.has a little over 4000 km's on it and is in awesome shape.Got it off a buddy a mine and he gave me a deal on it.Can am's are nice michines a few a my buddies here have them.they seem to be very reliable.
Back to the arctic cat.I replaced the pod last summer cause it never worked and thought that was the problem,but that wasn't the case.POD i bought come off a scrapped 2005,400.i remember that when i went in water with it when i first bought the atv that if you went over a certain height = about half way up the engine that it almost stall out.i checked the wires but couldn't see any busted off and chafed but i did notice that where the pod plugs into the engine that the rubber seal was missing so i put some automotive windshild putty around it so would keep water out.But that too didn't fix it = it still used to almost stall when i went over that same spot in water and kept an eye on the plug in .it didn't cause the problem.the water would be over the plug a but a foot or so up past the plug before the stall would happen.i may add that i got the arctic cat off of another buddy 6 years ago and he used it in the river lots.the headllights were full a sand.all wheel bearings and bushings were toast so i bought all new bearings and bushings and replaced tham.had to also replace all 4 drive axles and hubs cause they were wore.then the wheels started falling off.was weird cause i had used a torque wrench to tighten all wheel castle nuts to factory specs.i then bought 4 more drive axles and used an air gun to put the nuts on with.didn't have a problem with it til thie end a ths winter past and the left rear wheel popped off again.has me stumped.if i could a kept the wheels on it,i'd a not have gott3n the traxtor cause that arctic cat starts up great and has lot's a power.
Thank you again for your advice.This Newfie appreciates it for a fact.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck with the new CanAm! I was at my ATV mechanic's today and he had a nice 2 up model CanAm that the owner had brought in with the motor making a bad noise. Red, low oil pressure light was on, owner was clueless! My mechanic said some models have plastic gears that run the oil pump. Heads up, if the red light comes on, stop immediately! Yes, they all make good and bad, I have been very lucky with 3 Cats, 400,500 and the Diesel. BTW, Maine is probably the closest state in many ways to Newfoundland. We have been known to hang a dried codfish from the car mirror as an air freshener and you can find Screech in most of the liquor stores.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the advice Hydrex ,appreaciate it for sure.yer right also..Maine is the closest state to this island.I Visited there about 13 years ago on my way back here from Breeze,Illinois by greyhound bus..got stuck in Maine for 4..5 hours. Cod is the fish a newfies.me though..i prefer sea trout = the best fish of em all..lol.Hope ya have a great day my buddy and thank's again for the info.