Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

help!! I'm ready to burn my arctic cat.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could try it got nothing to loose and everything to gain.. I find the cat fuel gauge to be very erratic at times.. The gauge and pump are same unit but 2 separate items. I would disconnect snorkel until you get issue sorted out..

Old 12-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
you could try it got nothing to loose and everything to gain.. I find the cat fuel gauge to be very erratic at times.. The gauge and pump are same unit but 2 separate items. I would disconnect snorkel until you get issue sorted out..
I disconnected the snorkel to the one way valve in the fuel line a LONG time ago. It didn't fix the fuel gauge issue or the other issues. I'm wondering if that one way valve isn't working properly.

The fuel gauge worked great until that day I snorkelled eveyrthing.

Can you explain how the gauge and pump are the same unit but separete iteams? If its the same unit, wouldn't the fuel gauge issue indicate a fuel pump issue?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

You said you havnt check compression because engine doesnt smoke? Tight value or values can cause low compression and hard to start issues by reading all the posts and comments your have some riding time on atv so IMO I would inspect value clearence also I have had an kawaski mule efi unit the sorta done the same thing as your atv putting fuel in oil and rough idle and hard to start and It had an bad throttle body the ecu that throttle was open at idle an was adding fuel to system...BUT I would do value inspection also before spend any more money

Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by maybehonda View Post
I disconnected the snorkel to the one way valve in the fuel line a LONG time ago. It didn't fix the fuel gauge issue or the other issues. I'm wondering if that one way valve isn't working properly.

The fuel gauge worked great until that day I snorkelled eveyrthing.

Can you explain how the gauge and pump are the same unit but separete iteams? If its the same unit, wouldn't the fuel gauge issue indicate a fuel pump issue?
The pump and float are to separate items in the tank. Only thing they share is the plug in on top of tank and the mount. They can both be changed out individually. For the snorkel i meant remove the snorkel from your intake to the airbox. Much easier to trouble shoot if everything is in stock forum. Agree with checking compression as well ... thought i had mentioned that but going back through my comments i see i missed that

Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot View Post
You said you havnt check compression because engine doesnt smoke? Tight value or values can cause low compression and hard to start issues by reading all the posts and comments your have some riding time on atv so IMO I would inspect value clearence also I have had an kawaski mule efi unit the sorta done the same thing as your atv putting fuel in oil and rough idle and hard to start and It had an bad throttle body the ecu that throttle was open at idle an was adding fuel to system...BUT I would do value inspection also before spend any more money

I haven't done a compression check for a couple reasons. It doesn't smoke. It has not lost any power at all. And also, I don't have the compression tool. I've had engines with low compression and they were always lacking power and smoked. I'll add getting compression to the list. Thanks

I am going to check valvle clearances if I can get that plug out lol...

Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

The pump and float are to separate items in the tank. Only thing they share is the plug in on top of tank and the mount. They can both be changed out individually. For the snorkel i meant remove the snorkel from your intake to the airbox. Much easier to trouble shoot if everything is in stock forum. Agree with checking compression as well ... thought i had mentioned that but going back through my comments i see i missed that
Thanks for the info about the fuel system. A bad float will cause the gauge to not work, but this wouldn't affect the fuel delivery right?

I did try the ATV without the snorkel before. No difference.

Thanks for the info. Like I said I'll have time to work on it next week, but the more ideas and info I can get before I pull it apart the better.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol

In theory yes a faulty float should have no effect on the fuel delivery..

Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

In theory yes a faulty float should have no effect on the fuel delivery..
I'm not sure how what I did to install the snorkel would affect the float. IT would be a crazy coincidence for the float to go the second the quad went on its first drive with the snorkel kit.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Not all low compression engine smokes or lack of power Most of the times low compression will have an hard to start issues just an ideal i have beat myself up many many times on hard to start issues with tight intake value just trying help without spending money Im just not an parts changer also tight intake value can cause low compression not engine smoke which leads to hard start ups and fouls spark plugs.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer

You said your spark plug was fouled. What did it look like?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help!! I'm ready to burn my arctic cat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: