Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

help!! I'm ready to burn my arctic cat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! I'm ready to burn my arctic cat.

I apologize for putting this in the general forum, but I don't think its a problem related to just AC's so I think anyone can offer me advice. I have had this problem for several years and tried many many many things and it still has the same problem

2010 arctic cat 550.

- Its very hard to start. You need to hold the throttle down to start it and even then it reuqires a lot of cranking.
-when you come to a sudden stop, it stalls and is very hard to restarted even when the engine is up to temperature
- it fouls the spark plug very very quickly.
-it seems to eat batteries despite being left on a battery tender 24 hours a day.
-it idles rough.. idliing up and down
-it will stall if left to idle sometimes.
-it puts fuel into the oil... It's only recently started doing this compared to how long its had these issues

Things I've tried
-new batteries... I literally replaced the battery last night, fresh spark plug and it still has same issues
-cleaned out the exhaust. The spark arrestor wasnt clogged but it needed cleaning for sure. I think it runs rich, so this makes sense
-new spark plugs that are gapped properly. NGK, Brisk, Champion etc.. non produce any difference
-clened out the fuel injector.
-reset the TPS, tip sensor etc..
-fuel system cleaner/fuel stabalizer EVERY tank.. It is not a fuel issue this I can promise
-I've checked the voltage with the ATV running and it was fine, it did not flucuate.
-new air filter
-replaced the O2 sensor in the air intake system.. I know its not called a O2 sensor, but I can't recall the proper name. I know it measures the O2 to calibrate the fuel mixture

I'm sure I'm forgetting something else Ive tried... I've gotten so much advice and tried so many things, but nothing fixes the issues. Even mechanic at the shop is puzzled.

I have not checked compression. The ATV does not smoke at all.

I thought possibly timming, but the dealer destroyed the plug you need to remove to check the timing. A mechanic looked at it and said by the way it runs which no ticking he doubts the timing is off. In order to check the timing I would need to replace the cover with the plug you remove to check the timing. This is an expensive part and I've done nothing but throw money at it, so with the doubt of the timing being off, I'm hesitant to buy a new cover just to find out its not the timing.

I thought voltage regulator or the fuel injector, but like I said, I cleaned the fuel injector and the voltage regulator puts out even voltage when I checked.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Should have a port to connect a diagnostic machine to somewhere. Sounds like a computor glitch. Excess riding thru water can cause issues like you describe. If your dealer cant find the problem, mabey you need a new dealer!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Should have a port to connect a diagnostic machine to somewhere. Sounds like a computor glitch. Excess riding thru water can cause issues like you describe. If your dealer cant find the problem, mabey you need a new dealer!

No codes come up when I run the diagnositc.

yes I agree its a electronic issue.

I don't ride it in water. Nothing over the top of the tires.

I'm remote area. I wouldn't trust the closest dealer with a bicycle. Many drop machines off and they sit their for over a year. No thanks.

Thanks for the advice, I will run the diangostics again just in case. About once every 6 months I run the diagnostic and reset everything using the diangostic. Everyone always suggests this first, but it doesn't change anything.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

I'll add, since I took it home brand new from the dealer it has ALWAYS stayed in my heated garage except the once a year I go camping with it.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunately sitting for long periods of time is very bad for any machine. Moisture can cause corrosion even in a heated garage. Fuel can turn even with additives after that long time. I would go thru every single electrical connection on the machine and clean and coat with electrical grease. Also a thorough cleaning of the fuel system. If you ever do get this resolved you need to run it a couple times a month at least. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

Unfortunately sitting for long periods of time is very bad for any machine. Moisture can cause corrosion even in a heated garage. Fuel can turn even with additives after that long time. I would go thru every single electrical connection on the machine and clean and coat with electrical grease. Also a thorough cleaning of the fuel system. If you ever do get this resolved you need to run it a couple times a month at least. Good luck!

It gets used often. My post where it sits in a heated garage except once a year to go camping was written poorly. That post was meant to show it is not left outside to the weather.

The ATV gets used regularly. I live in a rural area and I use it around my property often. It's got about 7,000 km's on it.

In the winter it plows my huge driveway at least 2 times a month. Takes about 2-3 hours to do.

In the fall it gets used to go hunting a few times a week. Short hour trips of driving.

In the spring its used to hunt and trap beaver.

In the summer its used for fun.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

For all those problems you have alot of KM on it..LOL... Have you set the tps i think using a jumper some ware in the harness you can bring up a screen so you can adjust it if its out then it will cause most of your issues. Stop using fuel stabilizer especially if using a ethonol based fuel if the fuel stabilizer is not compatible it will create bad fuel.. I found this out the hard way after dumping all my spare fuel and machines first and last time i ever ran a stabilizer. As far as the battery's are concerned you ether have a bad tender or a large draw some ware on your machine. Have you checked the spray pattern of your injector and fuel pressure? As far as the timing plug goes use a pair of vise grips to get it out and just buy a new plug.. Or tap it to a bigger size and use a different plug that style of plug is common in heavy equipment a shop that does hydraulics will have something that will work

Old 12-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrock
For all those problems you have alot of KM on it..LOL... Have you set the tps i think using a jumper some ware in the harness you can bring up a screen so you can adjust it if its out then it will cause most of your issues. Stop using fuel stabilizer especially if using a ethonol based fuel if the fuel stabilizer is not compatible it will create bad fuel.. I found this out the hard way after dumping all my spare fuel and machines first and last time i ever ran a stabilizer. As far as the battery's are concerned you ether have a bad tender or a large draw some ware on your machine. Have you checked the spray pattern of your injector and fuel pressure? As far as the timing plug goes use a pair of vise grips to get it out and just buy a new plug.. Or tap it to a bigger size and use a different plug that style of plug is common in heavy equipment a shop that does hydraulics will have something that will work

- I have reset the TPS many many times, no change. But I'll do it again.

-How come fuel stabilzer causes ethanol based fuel to go bad? Usually it will state right on the bottle that its FOR ethnanol based fuel. Non ethanol based fuel doesn't need fuel stablizer unless long term storage.

-I believe it eats batteries because you need to crank it so much to start it and it often stalls. I mentioend it because I figured it could also be due to a bad electrical component. I don't think it has a draw other than the clock. If I unlplug the battery tender (once its charged) and check the voltage every couple days for a week or two it doesn't really go down. I just keep the tender on it out of habit.

-battery tender is good. Fairly easy to test with a volt meter.

- I will try vise grips on the plug. Never thought of that, thanks. The plug was so messed up by the dealer that you can't even get a wrench in it. I didn't notice how bad the plug was messed up until I owned it for 3 or 4 years. I never touched the plug and it was clearly mangled with a wrench and the only other person to touch the atv was the dealer. The dealer is miserable to deal with, so I just let it go.

-

Old 12-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Having many toys that spend time in storage, I have found the blue stabil product to be the best. Second is Lucas fuel additive. Blue Stabil is made for ethanol fuels and allows my 1983 boat engine to run perfectly on ethanol fuels. I use the Lucas products in my motorhome for winter storage, never had an issue since I started using it! Did have issues before. Just my 2 cents worth....

Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Having many toys that spend time in storage, I have found the blue stabil product to be the best. Second is Lucas fuel additive. Blue Stabil is made for ethanol fuels and allows my 1983 boat engine to run perfectly on ethanol fuels. I use the Lucas products in my motorhome for winter storage, never had an issue since I started using it! Did have issues before. Just my 2 cents worth....

Thanks, but like I said, its not a fuel issue.

I should add it idles up and down on its own.

It has the updated throttle body boot as well. They were prone to tearing. It's not that, but I will check it again

If you ever had a torn throttle body boot, it mimics those symptoms a lot.

Quick Reply: help!! I'm ready to burn my arctic cat.