Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

H1 belt slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OWCH.... what does the wet clutch shoes and drum look like?

Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looked fine. Waiting for the belt and rollers today. Should be back together soon.

The following users liked this post:
Alex G. (10-25-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

So here's the latest update... Got it all back together and went riding Saturday. Here's a list of what I've done:
----removed one way bearing
---New rollers in primary
---Cleaned all clutch faces W brake clean & scotch brite pad
---New belt
---Wet clutch faces Look good
----took secondary apart cleaned it up and made sure it was closing

The belt is still slipping. Pretty bad in high, very little in low. I don't know where to go from here. On top of all that, my starter took a **** and I had to be towed home! I'm fed up!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider

This really doesn't make any sense. I'd be irritated as well.
To the best of your ability, can you describe exactly what's happening?
Feel, hear, observe...

After you changed out everything you said, was it slipping right from the start? or did it take a few miles for it to start?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I feel for you...this sucks. Are they factory clutches or aftermarket? Did you check the belt deflection? This will let you know if the belt matches the clutches. Tryin to think of anything to help you out.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

It slips on take off if I mat it hard. It also slips if I'm starting up a hill or rolling slowly and go up a hill. It sounds somewhat like someone squealing their tires on pavement and you can smell rubber after it happens. If I want to do anything that puts strain on it I have to do it in low,and then it's fine. Top end in high seems fine, 50ish, which is where it was @ before the belt blew.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

Stock clutches. I have not checked the belt deflection as I am not real sure how to do that.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Can you take a pic of the 2ndry and the primary so I can see how the belt sits in them while at rest?
With stock clutches what your describing should not be happening.
And if possible can you do a recording? Would love to hear whats happening irt the bike movement.

When you where re-assembling the primary, was there a spacer or 2 (washer) that was between the outer sheeve assembly and the sleeve that's in between the 2 sheeves?

My computer at work wont let me upload pics that I have of my 2ndry belt orientation stock and with a 5mm shim in the primary. But stock the belt sits flush with the outer edge of the 2ndry. With a 5mm shim in the primary it sits 1/8" above the outer edge of the 2ndry. The higher the belt sits in the 2ndry the lower it sits in the primary, and if it sits too low the sheaves will not have enough contact with the sides of the belt and you'll slip.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

So after taking the wet clutch cover off to remove the one way bearing I had an oil leak. I bought a new gasket and it's still leaking. Upon trying to start it after replacing the gasket it started hard and wasn't running right. I took the carb off and the electric choke was busted off and stuck open in the carb. I had to use needle nose to get the choke needle & seat out. This all after the starter took a crap this weekend,and the bend is still slipping! So I'm done! I've officially had enuff. It's going to the dealership tomorrow night to get fixed. I'm done throwing money and time at it with no results. Thank you all for your help, I really do appreciate your time.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Mabey just time for a new machine, and put all these bad memories behind you. Time to have some fun!

Quick Reply: H1 belt slipping