Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Not good

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was planing a ride for Sunday and I had invited 3 people from the Baton Rouge Louisiana area(includeing MaxandBlades) to come over. All of them were iffy on coming and could not confirm if they were coming or not.

Well, Friday I went with my "stock set up" (stock tires and an HL lift kit). Well, I went there after a big rain and found that the holes in the middle of the trail were the fullest I have ever seen(but the first hole looked not so full). SO I was kinda excited and decided to ride on the trail and check out the holes back past the canal. Well I got to a spot with a small hole. I decided to try it even tho I didn't go to mud ride. I started out and go almost to then end and boged down. I put it in reverse and had to rock a little to get it out(thank god I still have the lift kit on it) then I made it threw in 2nd gear high range with alittle rocking. Well after that I headed home. When I got home I inspected my Cv boots(since I removed my Ox-Lites) and guess what I found?? A pin hole in the right outer boot. Well thats not too bad, right?

Well Saturday I woke up and went to work then after getting home I started changing my tires to get ready for the mud ride Sunday. I used my new REAL jack, not the Bobcat 328 Excovator this time. Well as I was finishing up and removeing the jack from the rear axle I glanced at the motor and guess what I see.....

Right where the side engine case meets the block there is about a 3" circle where you can see oil has leaked out. So now a small problem(CV boot) is now a couple of moderate problems. Well thankfully all 3 of them canceled and I didn't have to ride(it was at my house-- they were all comeing) because I've heard of this happenign before(atleast 5 times that I know of my self) and when it GOES so does all of your engine oil.

Now I have a problem. Marengo is June 2nd and I can't get to my AC dealer till saturday at the earliest. The side case gasket seems easy to change, but with marengo so close I don't want to have to redo something before then. So I'm probaly gonna let the dealer do if the warranty covers it or if it's not covered and he is reasoneable. I can't do the CV boot cause it requires a 95 dollar crimper, but I can always replace the hole CV (not sure how much water already got to it so repairing it now might be a waist) myself cause it comes preassembaled(right?). So what you guys think? Change the Side case gasket myself or let the dealer do it??

Man, I would have only kept that lift kit off I might not have to replace my Side case gasket. Thanks alot High Lifter.

Old 04-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

If it is under warrenty let the dealer fix it. But you lost me somewhere in the post. How does the High Lifter lift kit make it leak oil? I dont know if that is a stupid question or not. I hope you get every thing fixed before the 1st.

Old 04-30-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

If you can do it yourself by all means do it, mabe go talk to the AC dealer and tell him whats up, mabe he'll let you borrow the special tool you need? (I know my local one will if he knows your gonna bring it back, sometimes he takes a little persuading but so far so good) Anyways.. worth a try?

Old 04-30-2001, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Side gasket is a simple fix. There are a lot of washers in there but on page 3-81 of the service manual they have it labeled where they go (bottom right-hand side of page). As far as the CV boot I just used a screwdriver and pliers. I've also used a Hose clamp on another four wheeler. A Magnum 500 CV boot also fits nicely on the AC 500 . My friend a alot of them from all the CV's he replaced so I just used one of his

Old 04-30-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

The Bit about the High Lifter Lift kit is an inside joke, you would have to read all the post in the AC section to realy understand what I mean.

I'm gonna call and see if it will be underwarranty(paper says no gaskets or seals covered underwarranty tho) and if not I'm just gonna do it my self. It don't seem to hard, but it seems like I can never work worth a crap on my own bike. I end up doing better work when working on other people's stuff than my own stuff. Go figure.

How do I do the CV boot? What page is that on??

Old 04-30-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Of, I found the page, but why do you have to do all that marking?? Did you do this?? Can I replace the right outer boot with out removeing it from the differential??

Old 04-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

What marking. If your talking about the pencil in the pictures, it's just used as a pointer.

It will have to be removed from the differential, but thats no big deal. Disconnect your knuckle from the a-arms, unbolt tie-rod end, take off the axle nut, remove shaft from knuckle, once there just give the shaft a firm jerk and it will pop out of the differential. When you get ready to remove the old boot go to page 6-26 under "Drive Axles 300cc 4x4". It comes apart the same as the 500.

Old 04-30-2001, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

You really dont need the a crimper to do the job. The only tool that would be nice for the job is a snap ring expander. When you buy the cv boot kit they give you the greese and everything. When puting on the bootclamp i just used a screw driver to bend the tabs in, and so far its held up for the last 300miles no problems.
matty

Old 04-30-2001, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

Sorry I was up early this morning. I got the joke now.

Old 05-01-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well I already have the snap ring pliers.

The markings I'm talking about is how they used some kinda white marker to draw on the bearings and shaft. Look at the top left of page 6-27.

So I'm gonna have to remove the inner and outer boots on the CV to get to the outer one??? Thats what it looks like. If this is right. Do I have to get new rings/clips for the inner boots to reinstall it?

Can I lock it with the diff in the frame, or is it a must to remove everything?

Quick Reply: Not good