Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

It's incredible, but I have witnesses.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past weekend was the first time since I changed the main jet in my 500 auto that I went far enough to see what effect it had on miledge. I went an incredible 82 miles and never hit reserve. When I filled it up, it only took 3.3 gallons. Most of the riding was done above 6000 feet and on abandoned logging roads, with some ATV trails thrown in. My witnesses rode Polaris, Honda and Yamaha. I only used 1 tenth of a gallon more than the SP500. The Hondas and Yamaha had all hit reserve.

Old 05-30-2001, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

First off, I don't like this new design stuff on the forum. Either it's just late and I'm tired as hell, or this is just too darned confusing!

Anyway, Minehunter-I know you're probably tired of me asking this about the carbs, but here we go again. I never got the chance to work on mine like I had hoped while up at my property. Too much other work needed to be done, never had time to work with the 'Cat. Anyway, which main jet did you swap? I guess I should say what size? I think you said it was a 145 stock main, then you dropped to a 142, is that right? Where did you buy it, and how much? From what I remember it wasn't that expensive, and not near as much as the dyno jet kit, is that right? The reason I ask is I just damn near ran out of gas while getting "misguided" the other day. I think I had 55 miles on the main tank, then hit around 90 or so before it started sputtering like it was going to give up the go entirely, needed to be re-filled. I don't think I was entirely full, but still, if you can get 82 on the main before reserve, that is outstanding! Granted, under heavy loads and work, it will drop some, but that's nearly the same as what I got on almost a full tank! Also, did it seem to "perk" the machine up much, like somebody mentioned the other day (JKB???) about backing the adjustment screw down from 2 turns to 1 7/8? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sorry, just had to try that new little emotion thing there, see what happens. Anyway, thanks once again for the info, glad to hear it worked so well for you.

Mike

Old 05-30-2001, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

That is cool. I hope that once I get my 400 broke I can improve my gas mileage. right now I will just leave it running rich. I went 42 miles over the weekend all on dirt roads and when I was putting it away it started sputtering. I switched to reserve and finished putting it away.

Old 05-30-2001, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Minehunter,

Like Cowboy asked, could you elaborate a little on the changes you made. I could definately use some improvement with gas consumption. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2001, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

The changes that I have made are as follows. I now use synthetic oil, I have changed the main jet in the carburator to the next size smaller than the one that came with it. I can't remember the number, but I believe I went to either a 140 or a 142.

I have also heard of a clutch kit that will soon be available for the 500 autos. It's supposed to be about $50.oo and it improves the low end even more and increases initial acceleration.

I have also been told by The fine folks at AC that if you remove the driven pulley sheaves and have .030 milled off the center portion that it will improve miledge, top end and power throughout the total RPM range. By milling the sheaves you allow them to get closer together and that increases the diameter of the pulley while traveling. It also gives you a higher engine RPM on the low end.

Old 05-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, I'm HOPING to get down to my dealer this coming weekend, see if he's got one I can swap for. Do you happen to know who makes this clutch kit, or where it can be purchased? With the warranty no longer an issue and for the relatively cheap price ($50!), that sounds like it could be a good investment. Also, if you happen to do that milling procedure, please let me know the results, that sounds great, and I don't imagine it would cost that much either, if you know the right machinists.

Anyway, sorry to bother you with so many questions, I do appreciate all your new findings-thanks for the help!

Mike

-And, with regards to my previous comments about the new forum-scrap that. After spending a little time this morning, while it is taking a little time to figure some things out, it is definately much nicer this way. Nice job DBeck, looks good!

Old 05-30-2001, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Thats great minehunter,one of these days I'm gunna try it. Hey cowboy! where's your dealer down there and when you gunna come up this way.
Jim

Old 05-30-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jim, good to see you back in here. I'd been meaning to send you a note about that, but seem to have lost your email address. I was hoping to still come up that way and go riding with you, scout out the elk situations a bit. Unfortunately, I can't give you an exact date right now, I'm in the middle of moving back home from school. Also working on finding a job as well, should find out about that early next week I think. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I can find a weekend to head up that way, I think it would be a good idea to find out where and what the elk are up too-espcially for our good old boys down in Texas! heh heh heh. I'm still hoping that hunting trip works out, my partner is excited about going as well-just hope the new job doesn't get in the way-keep your fingers crossed!

As for my dealer, do you mean my own dealer, or the one I was referring to up in Omak, that was so great to me with the part I lost? My dealer is actually down in Hermiston, Oregon-High Desert Marine. It's about 30 miles from my place in the Tri-Cities, and Dave is a great guy. Always takes good care of me, my 'Cat whenever I go down that way. Gives all parts and stuff to me for cost, helps out whenever he can with whatever he can. I'm hoping he won't be too busy this weekend, maybe I can talk him into that jet swap for me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They do a lot with boats too though, so usually weekends are a bad time. Oh well, we'll see what happens. The other dealer I had so much good luck with was up in Omak, which is roughly 45 minutes south of the Canadian border. Ever hear of the famous Omak Stampede? That's the place. It's called Lay's Arctic Cat and Marine I believe.

Well, I gotta get back to work now or I'll never do it-I hate moving! Anyway, I'll get back to you as soon as I can find out a for sure date for exploring up there. Take care, we'll talk to you later!

Mike

Old 05-30-2001, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

You can have your clutches machined by TNT Motorsports in Greenbush, MN. They are around 30 miles north of the factory, don't know what they charge. I heard it would increase top end around 15 mph?? Aczr2k

Old 05-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Mike; Im retired so time or days don't mean jack squat to me.I do all of my shopping in Moscow, thought there may be a dealer in Pullman, that way I don't have to go to St. Maries. Oh well. C YA.
Jim

Quick Reply: It's incredible, but I have witnesses.