Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Just about everybody tells me to buy a Honda not a AC!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody had any problems with the AC 2000 or 2001 350 4x4?.
I realize i asked this question a few days ago(but i worded it differently)but i only got 2 opinion's.
Come on guy's!help me out!

I guess i'll go to the honda page on this site and see what they think also.
Thank's.

Old 06-05-2001, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

You must be talking about the Arctic Cat 300 4x4? I have been very happy with mine and have had no problems. I just replaced the brake pads with 1500 miles on them. I did not think that was to bad considering those are some pretty hard miles. I have flipped it twice and rolled it once down a steep hill, off a 8 ft. drop off and into a creek. I had to replace the rear rack and plastic after that one but it did land upside down on a good size bolder! Much to my amazement it started up and I drove it home. I also have drowned it 2 times in the creek! The Cat must realy have 9 lives. ha ha. I also pull a 300 gal. water wagon to water my pine trees. This is well well over the rated towing capacity! So as you can see I play and work my cat hard. The cat still starts and runs like it did when new. Honda's have a reputation of being reliable but I believe Arctic Cat is right up with them if not better. From my experience anyway. Hope this helps in your desision. Honda or Arctic Cat you probably would not go wrong. Arctic Cat does have more features which you are already aware of. Later....

Old 06-05-2001, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

I had a 2000 cat 300 4x4 for 8 months, not a bad machine. I sold it because it was way under powered. Would I buy a Honda? No sir, not me.

Old 06-05-2001, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

No doubt about it Honda's are great machines, but I also don't think you can go wrong with an Arctic Cat. About the only complaint I've heard about the 300 AC is it's underpowered. With super low gearing it will grunt along and go wherever you point it, just not in a hurry or with a whole lot of authority. I believe you get the most bang for your buck with Arctic Cat.

Old 06-06-2001, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Like the others have said with "more bang for your buck", check the AC 300-IRS for a very smooth ride, super low gear for very heavy pulls, or very steep climbs, deep mudholes, steep decents, you name it-any off-roader knows the value of super low gearing. Why do you think the serious jeepsters switched to the rock-lobster superlow tranny/transfercase combo for the rock climbs??? How about disc breaks which do not get plugged with mud, requiring more service after a ride for better stopping power. Then again, with the super low gears, how often will you use those breaks? What about the front diff-2wd, 4wd, and with an easy modification to the linkage, true 4wd lock for those extreme conditions.

As for power? Here's where I have a problem. Most people seem to equate power with speed. It has been said the AC 500 is underpowered many times before. Yet, in the field, it has been my AC 500 Auto who has come to the rescue of many other atv's, not to mention full sized-rigs, whether needing a tow, or even more serious requiring me to tie off to a tree and rig up the winch and ****** block. You say underpowered, I say Just Bring It! I'll show you just what my "underpowered" 'Cat can do.

Now, if speed is your cup of tea, or perhaps you prefer a bisquit with that, then no, the 'Cat is definately not for you. The entire AC lineup is so low geared that none of them are known for speed. Chances are, when up against another machine of the same relative sized engine (all 300's are not true 300's, 500's not all 500's, etc.) the 'Cat probably will not win the race at the end. Will it finish? Ah hell yeah, and very comfortably at that. When the going gets tough is when the 'Cat really shines. They are utility quads, and do an excellent job at that. If speed is your thing, you'd be better off with a sport quad, in which case, yes, a Honda would be an excellent choice.

For the money, it's hard to beat a 'Cat. With the options available on the 'Cat, it's like comparing a full sized Chevy Silverado to the basic Camper Special. Sure they'll both get you there, but which one would your wife rather ride??? My guess is that most people tell you to buy the Honda because of the reliablity issues. It is true that Honda has been about the most reliable machine out there. However, I believe the times have changed. Lately it seems this reputation is slipping a bit-either that or other manufacturers are just getting that much better. As Copper said, "AC is right up there with them, if not better". I'd have to agree myself-Cat performance in reliability terms has been great to date, getting better all the time. Another reason is basically the name itself-seems everybody wants a Honda. Of course, there are a lot of people who have never even heard of Arctic Cats before for making atv's. Sure they know about the 'Cat sleds, but most have never heard of the 'Cat atv's. Hell, I didn't even know AC made quads till I started seriously shopping myself a little over a year ago now. I thought I had my mind made up back then, deciding between the 450ES and the SP500. Thanks to the forum, I stumbled upon the AC lineup, now look what I drive. After comparing the features of each machine, then test riding each, the 'Cat sold itself. In fact, the first thing my dealer did was throw me the key to the 500, said take it for a ride, then come back we'll talk about the machine itself later.

A good dealer could very well be another selling point of a machine. If you can't get along with your dealer, if your machine breaks down and you guys can't get along, you'll be spending more time arguing rather than riding-what you ought to be doing in the first place. Fortunately, my 'Cat dealer is awesome. Always very nice, gives first rate service, gets things quickly and at cost when parts or oil are needed, definately makes you feel like he actually cares, definately does what it takes to get you up and running again. Just a few things you may consider before purchasing a machine. -another thing, somebody mentioned earlier that the dealer wouldn't let them test ride. If this were the case, I'd find a new dealer for sure, a test ride should be mandatory on all machines, regardless of make/model, whatever.

Anyhow, just a few things to think about. Best of luck in the decision, whichever you choose it will be the best machine for you.

Mike

Old 06-06-2001, 04:18 AM
Range Rover

We have had three 300's in the family since early 1999. Two 4x4's and one 2x4. To this date, we have encouneterd no serious problems. We do a LOT of very hard playing. They are ALWAYS in the water (usually very deep), sand, or mud. The 4x4's are an AWESOME mudder and great for the technical stuff!! Add a snorkel, lock the front end, add a lift kit, get some over size mud grip tires, and have a good time. (If that's your thing).

Can't think of anything else to add after Cowboy's well-put post.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 06-06-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy pretty much said it. I guess I will add what I know.
I have a neighbor who USED to drive 2 Honda ATVs. Then he traded one for an A/C. To make a long story short, he now has 2 Cats. One has about 6000 miles on it, with only one repair out of warranty that I am aware of; a ball joint that wore out in the front end. He also had a part replaced under warranty, but I can't remember what it was for sure. The other one has about 4000 miles on it, and has been completely trouble-free. They are ideal for his uses- trailing cows and puttering around spraying weeds. They are NOT the best choice for high-speed running around (although they will do 45 or so if they have to). What really sold my neighbors on the Cats was the 4-wheel independant suspension. His dad just turned 70, but still LOVES to go out and check the cows. The ride of the Honda was just too hard on his back, but he can bounce over cow trails with the Cat, and says he feels noticeably better after the ride. As far as I know, the Cat (and King Quad) are the only machines in the 300 class with this feature.
Also, I won't buy another Honda 4x4 again until they put in selectable 2wd-4wd. It sounds like a little thing until you have it. Look around, how many full-time 4x4 pickups & Jeeps do you see? It has the same advantages on an ATV as it does anything else.

Old 06-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Buy a Honda!!!! Sure I'd pay more for poor ride, drum brakes, single range trans, NOT. Check Honda forum for reliabilety, they used to be best but look at problems their having.

Old 06-06-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have a 300 but I bought the 400. There was only $200 difference in price. I let my wife ride the 300 and 400 and she couldn't tell a difference in steering between the two. I prefer to have a lquid cooled motor. I haven't even noticed the all time 4 wheel drive wearing me out at all. I just did a 70 mile ride on saturday. The 400 has a lot more power and grunt. The hi-low range is in a better place than the 300. You also get bigger racks. I definetely would go with the AC. You get more bang for you buck than on a Honda. But I would take a AC 400 over the AC 300.
The AC Offers:
Disc brakes= more stopping power, easier to maintain.
Independent suspension=smoother ride.
Larger Rack capacity= ability to carry more.
Larger fuel tank=longer range between fill ups.
High\low Gears= more gears more ability to go places.

Old 06-07-2001, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna ask you to make your post alittle more understandable first before I post.

Are you trying to compare the AC 400 to the Honda 350(rancher)?? OR the AC 300??? Or what?

Quick Reply: Just about everybody tells me to buy a Honda not a AC!