Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

WARN Winch safety bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incase some of you don't know it yet... Warn put out a bulletin regarding a problem with the solenoid on 2000lb winch kits.
The solenoid can cause a fire while the vehicle is not in use.
See:

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/ar...fety_issue.htm

Old 06-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

GerrBear-
I think I saw this post in the Polaris forum a couple days ago. Do you have any other information? I asked my dealer about this the other day, he hadn't heard anything of the sort, and to date, has not been notified by Warn as to what to do about it. Do you have any information as to whether or not the dealers will be notified, and as to what kind of replacement will be available?

Thanks for the info, and any other you may have,

Mike

Old 06-13-2001, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

I called my dealer and they were not aware of any such recall. So, I called Warn customer support and they confirmed the safety bulletin.
The solenoids in question are made by White Rogers. The solenoid will have "WR" on the label. Mine had 98226-WR with a date stamp of 05/28/00. The guy at Warn customer support said that my solenoid was on the recall list. They are still working on a replacement and will be mailing customers. I gave the guy my mailing address to make sure I was registered.
Give them a call and have the solenoid part # handy.

Warn customer support: 1-800-543-9276

Old 06-13-2001, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

First of all, thanks for getting this information out there to people like myself. Secondly, why do we get this information before the dealers. I called my dealer and nobody told him about it - so I forwarded this bulletin onto him. Good job by this forum and website on keeping us informed - nothing on warn.com concerning this???

Old 06-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

GerrBear:
Thank you very much for the valuable information! I guess I should have got off my butt and made that call myself! heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Thank you for taking the time to do that, and also for letting us know, like Colden said. I've kind of been thinking about getting the upgrade kit to make it a 2500 lb., maybe now is a good time??? I believe the 2500 uses a different solenoid all together, and I've come to decide that the remote switch definately has it's advantages-I want one! Of course, then again, maybe just get the replacement solenoid, hook the A2000 up in the rear of the 'Cat, then put a new 2500 up front???

Anyway, thanks again for the info, I'll call and register mine as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 06-15-2001, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for this information, I never would have known without these forums. I just got off the phone with WARN and they said there would not be a solution until the end of the month... I asked them to find out if I can get a discount on the 2500 upgrade kit. My one complaint is WARN should at least have the bulletin posted on their website. This is not something that should be covered up. My quad sits in a wood barn with a hayloft. If that that solenoid failed and caught fire it would not be pretty.

Thanks again for posting this information

Old 06-15-2001, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Pramo, what was there response about the inquiry requesting a cheaper deal on the upgrade kit to the 2500? I've been thinking of doing that myself. My 2000 works great, but most of my winching is pulling full-sized rigs out of mud holes or deep snow, and huge trees, all with the aid of a ****** block. Some of these really stuck rigs have put a very heavy strain on the 2000, have been thinking maybe the 2500 might handle it A LITTLE easier. Even if it didn't, it would sure be nice to have that remote switch!

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-19-2001, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cowboy,

I still have not heard anything from WARN, the long and the short of it is they have no idea what they are going to do. Maybe I will just buy the upgrade kit, I have seen it on highlifter.com for $175. I will add another reply when I have some more information.

Old 06-19-2001, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry wrong website, here is where the upgrade is for $175

http://www.atvpartsdepot.com/winmounkit.html

Old 06-21-2001, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Ya'll might want to check out this place seems they have good prices. Searching the net and found this place some 15 miles from me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Is 400$ a good price on the Warn 2500?
Cowboy they have a remote that would probably be easy to connect to your winch. If you have a diagram (electrical) of your winch email it to me and I will show you how to add a remote to it. I'm sure with a 20$ bill you could build a remote and wire it in.
http://www.4buy4.com/

Quick Reply: WARN Winch safety bulletin