Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

CV Boots!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as for as how good Ox-lite boot guards are. I have about 2850 miles on my cat. I removed the Ox-lites less than 50 miles ago and since then I've had 2 boot punchures. It it's only a small little punchture you might want to try siliconing it up. If its a tear, then replace it. Only problem with that is that if it is a small little punchture you have to get down and look for it to find it (like I do since I removed the ox-lites).

Why did I remove the ox-lites?? Because I bent them less than 1/8" and that was enough to cause them to rub my CV boots when the wheels were turned and the suspension was at full drop WITH THE LIFT KIT. With no lift kit it does fine. But since I hit the SAME CYPRESS KNEE about 3 times doing about 10 mph each time they are bent alittle. They are so hard to bend that even with a 36" Pipe wrench I had trouble rebending them.

I've decided that I'm not gonna put them back on till I modify them to my likings. I'm thinking about cutting them so they no longer protect the outer boot (the one they rubed one time) and makeing a secondary peice that mounts somewheres else that protects the outerboot.

Old 07-21-2001, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Well guys i too have been having problems with CV's but it isn't directly related to trail debris...it's happened to my rear left CV about a month or so ago, and on the 17 i tore my right rear cv. BOTH OF THESE TEARS WERE CAUSED BY MY ARCTIC CAT REAR CV GUARDS. On the first tear(rear right) i called cat and really complained a bit and pushed hard and they agreed it was an odd occurance but they would fix it...so they sent me a whole new CV becouse i had goten a lot of dirt in it before i realized it was torn. In that instance the back of the guard had been moved/pushed and it rubbed and tore the inner boot. Well last week i was in VT doing some log and brush pulling at my cabin clearing the growth on the drive way and on my last run for the night i looked down to see the same thing, the rear left though, but the guard had been pushed forward from the back and it tore the inner CV again...i am having my dealler handle this one but him and i both thought it unlikely they would send another cv again. So need less to say i am really thinking about getting some new rear guards but the a-arm is shaped different than the front so what ever i get will need to be redrilled to mount, but the rear guards are a must considering how much brush and trees i have to ride over. I also have the front Cat guards(the plastic ones) they have been pretty reliable though they seem to hold a lot of materials inside, especially in the winter when the snow and ice melts in there(this happened on both my front and rear cv, all winter long and i had to "chisel" it out). So if you know any rear guards that will fit without modifying i would love the suggestion...or any good guards for the rear would be appreciated. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Have you considered aftermarket rear boot guards?? I know Ox-lite makes them for sure, this is because they took an AC 300 from the dealer I bought my 500 from-- to use as the prototype.