Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Stuck Stuck Stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not me. But it was a pretty fun sight. Went with my cousin and his friend up around the lake today. Its drying up in places, and there is a lot of mud near the waters edge to mess around in. The same muddy leaf mold crap in a place about 80 yards from where I buried my AC 2 years ago on Thanksgiving. (I told that story here a time or two for those older members like Boner- They remember) Anyway, I never got the Grizzly in the mud. I don't want it all nasty just yet. I'll wait till the new wears off before I officially baptise it.

I got to witness first hand a fully locked 660 spinning all four tires effortlessly while being dragged backwards by the warn 2000 mounted on the front of a sunk in AC 454. My cousin bogged his down to the point that he had a good Wall 'O Mud up against his front end. I tied off to him on dry land and locked up the grizzly only to find me digging holes while the winch pulled me straight towards him. 10 feet behind his 454 was the Rubicon, fully equipped with 25" Titan 589's and it was just as stuck. I made those two start digging out their quads by hand while I sat there and watched. I wasn't getting in that crap. I've done it before, and they could both get their fill of it now. After about 20 minutes, my cousin said the hell with it, and I went to town to get some shovels, something to drink (it was hot as hell), and the AC500 which was bascically the extraction team.

Well, I went and got that crap, along with my sister and her fiance to ride the Grizzly back out there. Made it halfway there, and met them. They had miraculously gotten out on their own.

This is in the lake bed, where there is really nothing to winch to. We tried on a big rock, but it just pulled the rock towards us. While I was gone, they moved another rock in front of this one, and one guy sat on it to help keep it from moving. They eventually were able to winch the AC out by doing this. Then, they tied a tow strap to the Rubicon, tied off the winch on the AC to the rock (which probably screwed his cable up good), and with the winch pulling the AC and the AC pulling the Rubi, they got it out. Here I was busting my *** into this massive cooler on the back of my AC on this rocky trail, while my knee was being beaten into a pair of shovels mounted from the front to rear racks, and all for nothing. I only wish I had a camera at the time.

The Rubicon had made it through this particular spot one time, but when he did, he rutted it up, and the AC sank into them having only worn stock tires and no lift. When the Rubicon came back in behind him, he had to stop, lost all momentum, and then proceeded to dig himself in as well. It was a funny sight, but i was the only one that was doing any laughing.

On a lighter note, I drove that Rubicon for a while on the trails. Talk about a massive improvement over a 450S. The steering is 10 times lighter feeling, and the ride is much better, even with the 589 tires. The transmission is easily the best I've ever seen. Smooth is the only word that comes to mind, and that word still doesn't tell the story. I also watched that guy stand on the back racks and wheelie it to the point where the rear rack was 2 inches off the ground. I think he almost crapped his pants. I would have bailed myself, but he just kicked off the ground and let off the throttle.

Final tally for the day- The Grizzly was easily the best steering, best riding, and most powerfull. The Rubicon steered pretty good, and the transmission smoothness was unequaled. The AC mopped up allcomers in stability over anything and rear axle articulation.

We were talking about what we liked best on those 2 new quads at one point. Power, transmission, etc. At that point, my cousin got pissed, said "I'll show you what I like best", and proceded to back a rear tire on that old 98 AC up over about a 10" rock. He grinned, flipped us both the bird, and then stood there until we noticed that of course, all 4 tires were planted firmly on the ground.

Old 08-05-2001, 02:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also- problems noticed. My Grizzly's skid plate is a closer resemblance to a paper plate. It sucks. On top of that, the Rubicon in the bunch is a month and a half old. The rear drum brake is totally shot, and did not work at all. The only problem with the AC was that it needs a spark plug (old news for 454's), and it wanted to die from time to time.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

that story sounds so very familiar to me. LOL it was only this weekend that a freind got his 500 Traxter stuck miserably and took us 45 minutes to get un-stuck. Anything would have gotten stuck where he did because it was almost like quick sand once he drove in it it sank almost instantly to the fenders. The finally gave up trying to pull it out with the 400 and just all three of us got behind it and picked it up little by little and pushed it off to the side where it was drier. Then we lifted the front end and hooked the chain back up to it and finally pulled it out with a lot less trouble. oh yea did I mention it was over 90º that day too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]!! But it was a lot of fun in the long run.

Old 08-07-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Man, that sounds like fun! I was riding around on our farm, checking our hog traps one day.. it was around 30 degrees, and he buried our sportsman500 up to the gas tank. I mean the thing was SUNKEN. And guess what I was riding.. our old Honda TRX125. All we had was a small nylon rope, four hands, and a prayer.. I hooked the little honda up to it.. not expecting to pull it out.. But I was amazed! I tied it onto the home-made grab bar, popped it into 1st, and mashed the throttle..1st gear topped out, hit 2nd. Just digging holes. Then I moved my weight to the back of the quad, and the front end came up.. OOPS! Well here I was, riding a wheelie, spinning the fake turf tamers, and my dad was laughing his @$$ off. I finally asked him if he wanted to do it.. he said no and quit laughing. I convinced him to let me on the SP, and I finally let it dig itself out. It was a fun day, a little cold.. but fun over all

Old 08-07-2001, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

i hate getting stuck

Old 08-08-2001, 06:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just hate trying to get unstuck!!!

Old 08-09-2001, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Well i love getting stuck and unstuck.My half inch nylon marine rope helps out alot,i don't even use my winch any more it's a lot faster with my rope .I have pulled out my brothers sportsman many off times ( ever time we go riding and he see's a mudhole he has to try it).I back up bumper to bumper and floor it,when i hit at the end of my 20 foot rope it strechts another 2-3 feet and his bike pops out nice and easy.Every one of my friends that i have pulled out has went and bought one.I have had mine for 1 year now and have not broken it yet.Very very durable.Even with just a couple of feet off place to take off it will pull it out.Try them i swear the work like a miricle.Happy mudding,i know i don't mind getting stuck any more.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2001, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

andy,

my brother lives in little rock and when it gets a little cooler i'm planning on visiting the natural state if i can stand leaving paradise for that long. would it be worth loading up the autocat for the 450 mile voyage???

texascat

Old 08-11-2001, 03:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know what kind of places they have to ride in central Arkansas really. I live in the Northwest corner up where there are lots of hills and stuff. It might be worth it, just depends on where in Little Rock. I'm not familiar at all with that area. I live about 25 miles north of Ft. Smith myself, and White Rock and Devil's Den state park are just a short drive away. There are a lot of places to go up here though.

Old 08-11-2001, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

Andy-
Loved the adventure there! So how's the Grizz working out for ya lately? Get that "newness" out of it yet and take it in the mud? How about that sway bar-did you ever pull it off, try it with the shocks at stiffest setting? I don't blame ya for not really wanting to mess with it yet -hell, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Just kinda curious if that suspension settled in yet for ya. Oh hey, how about the winch-has it come in yet? -just thought I'd through that in as it seems I'm playing "20 questions" here-sorry about that ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, hope it's working great for ya, Best of Luck,

Mike

Quick Reply: Stuck Stuck Stuck!!!