Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Off Topic-Trucks....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, should have posted this in the "hunting, farming" section, but didn't think you guys would mind TOO bad-I hope anyway! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, the suburban is on the fritz, Dad says get rid of it NOW, so I've cleaned it up real good, will trade it in tomorrow morning on a new rig-already been approved for loan, everything else it taken care of.

Deal is, I've found a '99 Chevy Silverado 3/4ton long box LT 4x4 6.0l extended cab with 21,000 miles-one owner who babied the truck. An older couple who traded it in for some KIA thing to tow behind their new motor home. Immaculate condition, full leather, cd, all options, etc. Price is $25,999.

The suburban is a '90 Chev silverado with Trail Wagons conversion package (captains chairs, third row bench, consoles between seat and up above, tow package, etc, 123,000 miles. Trade in is pretty bad at around $3,000-could sell outright for around $5,000. I think I've negotiated the new truck to where I can get it for around $20-21,000 with spray in bed liner included, trading in the sub. That seems reasonable-what do you think????

I've found a couple '01 trucks of basically the same options for around $29-30,000, but won't get near as much trade in value. Just kind of curious if anybody knows kind of what the going rates are elsewhere, who has really good buys, who doesn't. Seems we're higher here than the east coast, just curious what others are paying if you don't mind-maybe if that's too much info, then possibly what the going rate is in your area.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably end up with that '99 though unless I find it turns out to be unrealistic in price, and I can find a better deal somewhere else.

Thanks Again, sorry for the "off topic" post here, but hey, it will be used to haul the 'Cat, and tow my logs for my bed business, so I guess it's kinda close anyway??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 08-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

That sound like a pretty good deal for the Silverado. Around here, that truck could go for $25 to $27. I know of a Ford F-350 Crew Cab with only 17,000 miles that went for $30 (private sale - no dealer involved). That trade in sounds low for the sub though - at least to me. Check out kellybluebook.com. I have used them several times for ballpark trade-in values. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2001, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

Mike,

That '99 you're looking at is what I drive, except mine is the LS and not the LT. Mine stickered around $32k, so the LT would make it $35k or more. Sounds like a good deal especially considering the low miles.

The trade-in on the Sub sounds low to me. I traded in a clean, loaded '91 S-10 4x4 w/ 100k miles and got $6k for it. Should be able to get that for the Sub I would think. Good luck with finding a truck.

Old 08-20-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help here guys, much appreciated. Good news though-kind of a funny way though about it. I went down to sign the papers on that '99 truck, and it wasn't there. So, I raised a little hell about it, they tried tracking it down, turned out one of the sales guys took it home with him. They said it would be back in the morning. I said well, that's a hell of a way to do business, I don't know how you expect to sell a truck when your sales guys are out joy riding in the damn thing.

So, the next morning I start heading down there, just happened to spot a good looking truck at another dealership that I hadn't seen before. So, figured what the hell, might just take a look. Here's the funny part-it was newer, less miles, and ended up being less money! So, as you can guess, papers were signed, this other new truck was bought, everybody is happy-except the guys who called an hour later saying "hey, the '99 is here, you can come down anytime and sign the papers". Boy it sure felt good saying "OH, sorry, I just bought '00 an hour ago-guess maybe next time you'll learn to keep better control of your sales guys-looks like you just lost a $25,000 sale!" They were a little unhappy about that one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So, we ended up with a '00 GMC Sierra SLT 3/4ton long box extended cab-four door, with 11,005 miles, full leather, cd, fully loaded and with bedliner already in place. The wiring harness on the truck was wired for a small little golf cart trailer, so they're removing that and installing a full RV box so we can pull any trailer we want, and have power breaks too, all included in the deal. Thing is, blue book on the suburban was $2,700 if you can believe that one-that's horrible! After some negotiating, I got them to give us $5,150 for trade in, and drop the sticker price of this new truck down to blue book as well, so when all said and done, I got the newer truck for the same price I thought I could get the '99 for! That turned out to be a good deal as far as I'm concerned, it's a gorgeous truck, the price was great and after getting some good aluminum ramps, then loading up the 'Cat and taking it for a drive, she handles great, can't even tell the 'Cat is there without looking in the rearview. Oh-charcoal grey w/ aluminum rims, light grey interior.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts with the other one. From your posts, it helps reassure we did wind up with a good deal afterall. Looks like there isn't quite as much price variance as I thought there might be, ranging across the U.S.

Thanks again, Best of Luck and Happy trails!

Mike

Old 08-20-2001, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Better enjoy that deal Mike - you'll never get another one like that the rest of your life![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck with the new truck.

Old 08-25-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,
Glad to hear you did so well on the truck. Sounds like you got a hell of a truck there. Isn't it easier to just drive the 'Cat in the back and go, no hooking up the trailer. Plus when you get where your going it doesn't need as much room to park, or unload.

Rick

Old 08-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, good to see ya Rick! Yeah, the truck is sooooo much easier loading and unloading than the way I used to load the trailer, with both 'Cats cross-wise on top of the trailer. I never realized how steep those ramps are to the back of the truck though-glad I got the 7' length, the 6 footers would have been really steep! I kind of have a new problem now though-with the trailer attached, I have to unhook the trailer in order to unload the 'Cat in the back of the truck-because of that big 5th wheel box I have mounted on the front of the trailer. If I take that box off, I can just lower the tailgate, run the ramps down to the bed of the trailer, then drive out of the truck, down the ramps onto the trailer, then down the trailer and off the tailgate ramp for it to the ground. Would be a lot easier, it's just that I don't want to give up my toolbox!

Oh well, you'll see what I mean when you come up over the 15th-I can't hardly wait for the ride, should be awesome! Just hope we get some rain between now and then, if so, we'll get some good clay mud to ride in as well.

Take care, see ya soon!

Mike

Old 08-26-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

You know Mike, that cross country trip you have been dreaming about will be a lot easier now with the new truck! Just think, easy loading, room for your gear, better mileage than the Sub, no worries about breakdowns. The list goes on and on. Put those wheels in motion........TB450