Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New Cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I posted a reply earlier, but I don't see it. I am 15, I would recommend the AC 250 for the 8-12 age range. When my little brother was 8 he liked to ride the AC, I would sit on the back and he would try to throw me off. We did this until he ran into a tree. Once you are about 13 you are going to want more power than any AC offers. I think ACs really appeal more to the 45+ age group, because I don't see any kids in this forum like I do in the others. The older crowd likes the slower, gentler ride of the AC.

Old 10-05-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Corndog-
Pechmial has a very good point-it sounds to me like you have the wrong tool for the job-by the sounds of things, this is thanks to that uncle of yours. Why he would recommend a machine that is not designed for what you need to do is beyond me, and especially with you living in a swampy area-how in the hell would you NOT want a 4x4??? That blows me away. I can understand him wanting a slower machine so you don't kill yourself on it, but at the same time, a 4 wheel drive would have been safer yet-why? Because with the 4x4 option, you can go places you might try on the 2wd and not make it, possibly resulting in rollover due to requiring a "run" to get up something, if you follow what I'm saying.

As for your other statements, I have to disagree. I don't know whether you classify me as a "kid" or an "old fart", as I'm only 25, but I do have to disagree about the slower gentler ride-to a point. I've broken my back before, as well as about every other bone in my body, so yes, a plush riding machine is definately a requirement for me. However, I am a big hunter, camper and overall "outdoorsman" I guess you could say. I spend a lot of time out in trails made by deer and elk-which are definately not possible to follow for any 2wd machine, period. These are tight, very technical trails that require a good 4wd machine, with good ground clearance and great traction. I am frequently riding on 3 wheels only, and sometimes only 2-usually the rears, but occassionally in rock climbing I'll get on alternating tires (one front and one rear). Talk about a quick adrenaline rush! Anyway, for my type of riding style, I don't want a machine that goes 60+ mph. There is no need for it, as I rarely ever get above the 5mph mark-most of the wheeling is done in 4 wheel, low range and at a "crawl" at best. Reason is, the trails are so technical you simply cannot go any faster than that, or you will roll the machine.

As far as the "more power" issue, I also tow a ton of logs, huge loads, and other various items of weight far more than that of my machine. You can see pictures of this at my link below, also of me towing our old suburban uphill in over 2' of snow. A lesser machine simply will not work, and will not get the job done. AC's are utility machines, built for towing/hauling and trail riding, not for jumping or for high speed riding. In all of this, I have NEVER wanted/needed more power. The 500cc machine has more than enough power and low end torque to tow even the largest of loads. In fact, with these new 600cc+ machines, I honestly don't see a real need to have them-I've never run out of power with the work I do, and any more than that, a tractor would be necessary-honestly! The only advantage I see in a 600cc machine is a higher top speed-again, for guys like me who spend more time trail riding, breaking or making our own trails, and working-top speed means nothing. Now, I can understand you wanting more speed out of a machine, but the statement "once you are about 13, you are going to want more power than any AC offers"-is simply rediculous.

As far as what machine would be good for you-that might be a tough one, considering your uncle has a say in what you get. You obviously need 4 wheel drive for the swamps, no question about that. The AC 250 2wd is definately NOT the machine for this terrain. And, as you say you need "more power", I'll ignore that bit, and translate it to "more speed". Again, I can understand you wanting more speed than the AC 250-they are by no means the fastest machine out there, we all know that. Again, speed is not what they were designed for. Being only 15, you are kind of at a disadvantage, as most manufacturers won't sell to someone under 16-maybe you have a birthday coming up soon???

So, 4x4 is a necessity, and you want speed out of the thing. How fast is fast enough??? I think once you see what and where a 4x4 can go, your interests might shift a little from jumping and high speed, to an all out bad _ss modded 4x4 that will go anywhere and do anything. (again, my 'Cat does all that) So, something you can mod easily. Do you want auto or shift??? Something like a SPHO might be a good machine for you, though I really don't like the 4wd system on those. How about a wolverine? I don't know the top speed on them, but they are a good handling 4x4 are they not??? Might be a good option for you. Then again, there is always the good old "standby"-the '02 AC 500 either IRS or strait axle, auto or manual. They've been re-geared for higher top speeds, closer to 60 mph now.

I don't know quite what to tell you, other than you definately have the wrong AC for the job you need to do. Though as Pechmial stated, that is in no means a good excuse to put down the entire AC line, just because you are "driving a nail with a pair of pliars". I'd really talk to your dad, explain to him why you need a different machine-that the 4x4 is a must for the terrain you ride, then see if he'll let you sell the 250 for a larger machine. At the same time, you almost sound like you would be happier with a full sport machine, and should maybe look for something in a 2-stroke that has the "hard hitting" power that throws you back. Again, the lack of 4 wheel drive would hurt you though. At this point, maybe the new Grizz 660 is your best bet (I don't like the diff lock on the prairie or the low ground clearance).

Anyway, Best of Luck in the process of finding a new machine. BTW-how did your plug look???

Mike

Old 10-05-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

If I get another quad I would get a sport quad. I like to wheelie, jump, do burnouts, and all of that good stuff. I don't really like all of the mudding, my friend has a 2002 450ES with the lift kit and either 27 or 28 inch tires, but I would take a Raptor, 400ex, or FX400 over that. Sport quads are so light they do pretty well in the mud, my friends 300ex does fine. Also, I can just ride farther inland from the river to dry ground once deer hunting season ends. That uncle I talked about also has 5,000 acres I can ride on, and that is all dry.

Old 10-05-2001, 03:53 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Corndog,
You want some cheese with your whine? How old are you? If you don't like the quad don't ride it and stop bitching. It sounds like you're a spoiled little punk that hates anything he gets. Do all of us a favor and shut the hell up.
It's amazing everyone else on the forum acts like an adult!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2001, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

No TG1, it's not amazing that most act like adults. We respect eachother enough to listen to concerns instead of insulting. Your last post was anything but adult-like. Do you really think that yelling like that is going to solve anything? Do you think that something is going to change? Give the kid a break - we all thought we knew everything at 15 too.

Corndog - listen to Cowboy. He knows what he is talking about here. I couldn't begin to tell you all the advice he gives out, and it makes sense (well-most of the time anyway! ha ha !)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Like he (and others) said, you have the wrong machine - nothing more. Don't inflate the issue by jumping to conclusions about the company and its products. As for you age comment - I'm only 29, and most of my friends who ride are all under 30 (I know - old to you). A few have AC's, and got the right machine, and are happy with what they have. We ride trails around here, hunt, fish, etc.. Speed is not the issue here - in fact speed kills in this terrain. It's not as tough as Cowboy's neck of the woods, but its tough nontheless.

I don't know, maybe you just like to get a rise out of us AC people. If so, it worked, because you got 3 pages of posts, mostly dealing with you. Just relax, go ride on the dry 5,000 acres, save your money like we all had to do (or have to do in my case), and get whatever makes you happy. Just back off on the generalizations, they serve no purpose other than to inflame people, and create page-after-page of posts about non-constructive issues.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2001, 05:14 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I apologize for my last post, being a little hot head can cause problems. His post about damaging his uncle’s boat got to me the most. Hopefully, Corndog will find a machine that makes him happy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Personally I think the Bayou 300 2x4 is an excellent machine for people are not interested in speed. After riding hundreds of miles one begins to respect it for what it is… A workhorse that won’t quit.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2001, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Smashing the boat was something he basically asked for! I don't know about you, but throwing away $4500 is a lot to me! It must have been okay to do, because my dad didn't even care. Don't worry about that boat, somebody that inherrited(sp?) 5,000 acres is lucky enough! He is such a dumbshit, his quads are 4x4. OH Wait! This is the part that really made me mad! The next day his kid said they were going to get an AC 250 too, but they were going to get 4x4! This is what made my dad believe that he really did try to screw us![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2001, 05:53 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

All I have to say is don’t take anymore advice from him![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Also $4500 for a 2wd 250 is pretty steep. The dealer I got mine from is selling new 02 4x4 for $4200. Good luck... And don't smash up anymore boats.

Old 10-05-2001, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

You should have gotten the 2002, they look so much better than the 2001. Plus that was a good deal for a 4wd.