Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 08:30 AM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, I decided to buy a new four wheeler after selling my Bayou. After a lot of looking I decided on the 250 4x4. The Honda and Yamaha dealers were unwilling to deal on left over 2001 models. So when I saw a left over 250 4x4 for $3695 I rushed right down. The dealer treated me like a king! If the cat proves to be as tough as the other brands I’ll move up to a bigger machine in a couple of years (500I).
Even though I've only taken the new cat out once, I must say it rides like a caddy. At first I wasn't sure about the IRS, but now I'm a total believer. While riding with a friend the 250 could keep up with his 425 Mag (no he wasn't blasting along at full throttle). I did invest in the four-wheel drive shift kit, a rear skid plate, and the rear CV boot protectors. Does anyone make replacement CV boot protectors for the front? I'm looking for a design similar to a stick stopper.
Hopefully the Cat only gets better with time...

Old 09-20-2001, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on your new cat - you made an excellent decision. I don't know too much about the 250 so I'm interested in hearing about it as you get it broken in. I don't know off hand of any specific places you can get stick stoppers, but I would suggest talking to you friendly 'Cat dealer. I'd say there's a good chance you can order a set from Arctic Cat.

Old 09-20-2001, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 250 2x4 and it is a great bike with the high low range it does very well the independent supspention is great for the long rides i do wish i had the 2 extra tires pulling for me the top speed i have had mine at is abought 45 mph and it was rapped out but it was fun youll have alot of fun with it.

Old 09-24-2001, 09:01 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

I took the little cat out with for a longer ride yesterday. The group of wheelers included two new Grizzlies, two 500 Sportsmans (one of them being an H.O.), a Rubcion, and a few other mid-size units. I had no trouble keeping up with the pack on the trails (once again no one was racing full-bore). Some of the trickier mud situations were left to the bigger machines. The cat handled extremely well in some of the rougher sections which included a deep water crossing. It also most felt as if the cat was floating... A totaly different feeling from the Bayou.
Tonight I plan on installing the 4-wheel drive selector and install the rear CV boot guards. The dealer did have Arctic Cat’s version of the stick stoppers. Some of the holes for the brackets did not line up perfectly. Also, some of original hardware from the original guards, due to the fact of the small welded lip on the A arm.
One thing that is starting to bother me is the fact it is such a hard machine to start when it's cold. I've read some of the other posts and was wondering if the 250 has a priming lever?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2001, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

hey dude my 2000 dosnt have the priming **** but wait till break in over also hold down on the choke lever when you start it my dealer showed me that the day i picked up my 2001 400 it like its sping loaded at the bottom my had the intake valve to close to adusting that helped starting and power but wait till the dealer dose the tune up frist dont mess with the thing till warrant up i love irs i got a 2002 400i ordered cant wait dealer says 2 more months but congrats to you bud happy riding 2001 400 4x4 200 250 2x4 1997 220 bayou

Old 09-25-2001, 12:50 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Chunkyboy, last night I pumped the throtle twice then hit the start button. Then I choked it slightly for a couple of minutes. A buddy of mine does this with his 425 Mag and has no problems with it starting.

Old 09-26-2001, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

TG1, ChunkyBoy-
Welcome to the Pride, congrats on your new machines guys! Hope they work out great for you, and are everything you expected!

TG1-
Did you get the shift lever figured out OK? I saw in a different post somewhere something about you had about 1/16" play-was slightly confused as to where this is at. I haven't examined the 250's close enough to know, but on my 500 when I replaced the shift lever-where the lever goes down and hooks on the lever on the diff. itself, there is a pin that goes through the lever, then the shift lever hooks onto it with a small washer, then the hairpin, or cotter pin type deal that holds it in place. If this is at all like the 250's-again, I don't know for sure-then yes, I have about the same amount of play in mine-basically that pin is the only thing holding the shift lever onto the main diff. lever piece.

Anyway, Congrats guys-Best of Luck and Happy Trails!

Mike

Old 09-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have an Arctic Cat 250 2x4. Top speed is 35 mph, not even close to 45mph. You should have gotten a Recon, it goes 45 mph. The Arctic Cat is too heavy to go muddin in, I wish I could have warned you before you bought it.

Old 09-26-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Corndog-
I noticed in another post, you referred to it as an "Arctic Crap", and appeared rather unhappy with your machine. I don't recall what spurred the attack, but was curious as to your problems with the machine, and how the dealer has treated you. If your machine was defective or had some flaw/s from the factory, a good dealer would have easily, gladly fixed or remedied the problem for you. It is a well known fact by everybody in the atv world that the entire AC line is NOT known for speed, and if speed is your thing, then yes, you should definately look elsewhere. However, 35 mph top speed seems a little slow, even for the 250, which leads me to believe something may be wrong with your machine. Checking plug condition, air filter condition, type of fuel and jetting are all good places to start along with oil and filter condition. Any of the above will lead to poor performance, and lower speed if not maintained and or changed/inspected at regular intervals-ie every 300 miles or so for oil change and inspection of eveything else with the exception of the air filter needing inspection before every ride-if in extremely dirty conditions.

As for the mudding-if you expected to do any "real" mudding anyway, why did you not buy a 4x4? A two-wheel drive machine will go many places, but deep mud is not one of them-as is the weight issue-you can't expect a utility machine to be "light, peppy and sporty" like a 400ex or something of that nature. AC's are built tough, and yes, heavy-because they are just that-utility machines. They are designed to work under hard riding conditions in difficult terrain under load-either towing/hauling or flat out four wheeling in extreme conditions. For that, they are great at what they were designed to do, and very reliable as well. A good all around utility machine that can handle about anything you can throw at it, while getting you there and back all in one piece.

I am a bit confused as to whether the machine is honestly giving you troubles, or if you bought the wrong type of machine for your riding styles??? If the machine is bad, maybe we can try to figure out what is wrong or why it isn't performing up to expectations. It kind of sounds to me though like you were expecting more of a "sport" machine though for a lighter weight and higher top speed-something like maybe the recon as you mentioned, or even maybe the wolverine possibly??? Something a little lighter, a little quicker that is 4x4 and handles well???

Anyway, I don't mean to be offensive here, just trying to figure out if there is a problem, or if the machine was the wrong choice for your riding style. If there is a problem, maybe somebody will know a cure or a way to fix it, allow you to enjoy the full capabilities of the 250 2x4 'Cat.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 09-26-2001, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

hey dude cowboy i like your way with words you said what couldnt i like my arctic cats and my kawaski i have had hondas suzukis yamahas triumphs harleys javas and lots of other brands liked something about them all but in 30 years riding racing and healing none was perfect all had a flaw somewhere one thing i learned hard a man wouldnt badmouth another mans bike if he had to biuld it fix it or pay for it if corndog dont like cat sell it nobody holding a gun on him is there i did one that way last year wont buy another either but that was my bussiness not everyone elses