Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

something way off topic...i want your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are an excelent bullet dispensor, darn near perfect... Now about that darn near part, they don't have match grade accuracy, and in fact are worse than 'average.' Mine is the standard utility rifle for the ranch here. When something needs to be shot and now it's what is reached for. Actual accuracy can be as good as 2 MOA, but count on more like 5 MOA from the factory. To date maybe 4000 rounds have been fired through mine, there's nothing to tell you about other than I rattled one of the stock screws out while grinning madly while writing my name on my ponds ice in rapid fire.

My K mini ranch

edit added: since I don't see this mentioned in the other posts, after market magazines for the minis can be finnicky. Most are usually flimsy and cheap-which is fine, you may have to tweek the magazine lips with pliers. 40 rounders and down can be had for under 20$, and I've never gotten one 40 rounder or not that couldn't be tweeked to funtion 100%.

Old 10-04-2001, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Mini-14 stainless, with the wood stock, and my wife has one stainless, with the synthetic stock (she is a more avid coyote hunter than I am!) Anyway, I can say for sure, go with the synthetic stock. Mine had the problem of if it got damp, too hot, too cold, etc. it would change the point of impact a little. Not just the string, but for the first shot as well. With my wifes, unless you drop it on the road and run it over, it will always shoot at point of aim. (it might even then, but I sure am not gonna try it!). Since then I have gotten an aftermarket synthetic stock, which cured my bullet-wandering problem.
Stainless is the only way to go, in my opinion, for a carry-around gun. Yes, the barrel will wear quicker than a blued one, but unless you plan to shoot it a LOT in RAPID FIRE, I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest difference is in sustained rapid fire, the stainless for some reason doesn't take that as well. For plinking and such, there isn't much difference. Why does the Army go blued? They tear down, clean, & oil their rifles after every range visit, and every outing in foul weather. Also, parkerizing is fairly rust-proof. I also think they do more rapid-fire drills, and run more ammo through than most of us will. To them, the advantages of blued outweigh stainless. Also, it is hard to hide carrying a shiny gun. I guess you could blacken it, but that would just make it that much sillier. For ME a stainless gun will likely outlast a blued one, because of rust, pitting, and surface wear more than from being shot out.
Go with the ranch rifle, too. The sights are about as good as the regular Mini-14 (although not as convenient or easy to adjust, but have about an equal sight picture) and it comes with Ruger rings, ready for a scope. Even if you don't plan on mounting one, you may want at least a red-dot type when your eyes start to age.
Beware some of the aftermarket magazines. Most can be made to function well with a little tweaking or polishing, but there are a few things to look for. When you go shopping for mags, seek out ones with a smooth bend to the feed lips. If there is a sudden sharp angle, or worse yet, machining burrs on the lips, check if the next one is better. It will save you much time and aggravation trying to figure out why it isn't feeding properly.
As for accuracy, I would say I could hit a chew can 8 or 9 times out of 10 at 100 yards from a good, steady benchrest. Group size rarely exceeds 3 inches or so at 100 yards unless I shoot fairly fast & get the barrel hot. If I let it cool between shots 30 seconds or more, I can get 3 shots in under 2 inches with good ammo.

Old 10-05-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

add the mini 14 to my list i posted last. i just picked the little beauty up today total cost with 100 rounds of ammo was $538.00, definitely not the most expensive gun i have but what does price really matter when it comes to having fun. a gun that costs $100 produces the same addictive smell of burnt nitrocellulose that a $3000 gun does. i've only shot 10 rounds so far because we live next to a day care center and i believe those 10 rounds cleared the playground, so i didn't want to **** anyone off just yet (no, i wasn't shooting towards them). i'm going to mount a scope tomorrow with the provided rings. i think something small like a 4x32 or a 3-9x32 will suffice. i don't want to mount anything with a 40mm objective 'cause i think that a big scope looks odd on a small rifle. i've also been researching heavy barrels on the accuracy systems website they claim 1/2 moa at 100 yrds and the cost is between $300-$400. however, i'll keep it stock for a while before i begin to hop it up.

thanks again

texascat

Old 10-05-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

dakotart,

sounds good, duey has the flu at present but i think he'll get better soon. i'll bring my new toy and my alley sweeper if that's ok. by next weekend i hope its colder than a well digger's *** in montana so camping won't be a bitch in a kitchen. shoot me some details brother.

texascat

Old 10-05-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Lost my first football game this week. I still have a good shot to win it all though. I have to scout next Friday night and turn that stuff in Saturday morning then edit video tape and do computer analysis till about 2 pm. Michelle and I will be packed and ready to rock then. her brother will be ready then too. So figure on being there about 4pm to setup and get dinner going. Should be cool at least in the 70's I hope. 50's in the evening would be perfect. No wind like that one night in Morales, damn tornado blew through. Bachelor part is set for Saturday the 27th I believe. You can stay at my place. Limo's! I'll get you more info when I get back on Sunday. Taking my Wilderness club to Bastrop State park for 3 days. Watch the news and look for a natural disaster! 17, 12-13 year-olds! Later my man. Good luck on the new rifle. I have a 3-9x simmons in 32mm if you want it.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Texascat:
Good choice on the scope. I had a 3-9X40 laying around that I mounted on my Mini-14 Ranch rifle, and the handguard was touching the forward lens bell. It was just barely touching, so I sanded down the fiberglass or whatever the guard is made of so it had clearance. It has been my experience that some 40mm scopes will just hit the guard, and others will just miss it. WHere it hits is the little 'dimple' where the rivet goes to secure the guard to the barrel.
I think a 32mm objective would be better, anyway, but I already had the scope.

Old 10-09-2001, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a nice rifle! I just built a FAL a couple of months ago, and have only found time to get to the range once with it. Lots of fun if you like non-PC rifles. I happen to like .308 vs .223, but to each his own. Wish I could afford the Ruger too.

Bri