Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Lift Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey!.........Anybody useing lift-kit's...long term. Yes...I've been told larger tires will clear, but, even the stock 489 25X10-12's will rub the fenders whenever I ride aggressivly, so larger ones will rub even harder I am sure. I have 3 extra spring adjustment washers on the front shocks, which only netted a 5/16" lift...I am not very big and heavy so I do not want the front any more stiff, and the back is fine sprung stock. 3/8"-1/2" shock spacer's are way too stiff, and only net a 3/8"-1/2" in ground clearance! Does anyone make a lift kit at 1", or are they all 1 1/2"-2"??
I've heard that the c/v drive angle may be too steep, but the 2002's seem to have a fairly steep angle(about the same angle as mine jacked up 1 1/2" with a floor-jack).
How about...has anyone tried the springs and shock's from a 2002 on the Bearcat chassis?? They look as if they may bolt right on and possibly lift mine more than in it's stock configuration, although I am still not sold on the stability of the 2002 suspension(my buddy rolled his 2 month old 400 4X4 and slid it into a tree some-how while following me at about 20mph on a downhill woods trail!)(ouch,ouch!)He is okay except for a sprained wrist, so that is good! But...the bike is out of commission for a few days...what pain!

Old 11-01-2001, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Only lift kits I know of are the 1-2" lifts from High Lifter. I went to High Lifter Monday and had a 375 there for them to make the lift kit for al the 2002 ACT models. All they had to do was use an Arctic Cat 300 lift with 2001 support brackets.

Since it was a demo model that the lift was on I decided to remove it so I could install it on a showroom model today. I removed the shocks from the front end while I was at it to see how the shocks compared. You will gain no additional lift from the shocks on the 02's front shocks. They are identical in lenght. But I'm betting they will give you a better ride with there different dapening and more than likely a different spring rate.

Old 11-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank's Boner!
Yea...I have heard of the High-Lifter kits...but...Is this too extreme of a C.V. angle?...Or will it be ok? I'm looking to see if anyone is currently using an them on there Arctic Cat with no problems. Seems like the new ones (2002's) have quite a steep angle, but they were designed that way...Are the C.V.'s any different in construction? If they are not then it would seem as if my C.V.'s would hold up fine.
Wow...a lifted 2002![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That would definately have a severe C.V. angle...does it work?
The front shocks measured the same length from a 2002 as my 2001?...I thought the 2002's had more travel on the front( like an inch more)? I figured they might bolt on and would smooth out the ride a little more...although I would have to slow down some,I think, cause my buddys 2002 400 4X4 doesn't handle as well as mine at faster speeds(gets bouncy). When he gets his back from the shop then perhaps I could persuade him to let me try his shocks whereas it's not new anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think it's too extreme. I have a 1999 Arctic Cat 500 with a High Lifter Lift kit and 27x12x12 Tri-Claws aired up to about 25 psi (about 28.5" tall) and I was pulling with a Sportsman 500 the other day. My bike was bouncing about a foot off the ground and landing hard and it didn't pop a CV.

About the CV's on the 2002 Models. I have talked to someone that has had meetings with the makers of the CV's on the 2002 Cats and his exact words were " I think they will be unbreakable." So, yes they are different.

The shocks will bolt on, but they will give you no additional ground clearance or suspension travel. The added suspension travel comes from modifications to the rest of the suspension. About the only added ride comfort you would get is if the shock dapening has been changed.