Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Which Big 4x4 To Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys and gals, it's time to step up from my Scrambler to a full rec/utility 4x4. My problem is which one do I choose? I rode the Sportsman 500 and 700 and was real impressed with both but not sure if the 700 is worth the extra $1000. I plan on riding the other 3 today, the Grizzly, the Prairie, and the Rubicon. Which one has the most problems and which one seems to stand out above the rest? Please be honest and dont favor one because you ride it. If you have another that deserves mentioning please do so. All that I require is 4x4 and low range.

Thanks For Your Help
Scott Johnson

Old 11-01-2001, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

Which one do you like best? What are you expecting from your machine?

When I went looking for an ATV, I wanted a reliable quad from a reputable dealer with at least one factory trained mechanic within 25 miles from home (the idea being I wouldn't waste a day hauling it to or from the dealer). I ended up with three choices: Artic Cat, Polaris, and Honda. Honda's are fine machines, but they're too mainstream for me- I wanted something a little different. Local people had good things to say about the dealership and the AC, and tended to be more negative about the Polaris. I liked the looks and the ACT rear suspension; I went with the 'Cat. The (Ford) Polaris dealership went out of business about a month later.

My dealer has been very good about takeing care of my problems with no hassle. I did have the limited slip unit in the front differential replaced under warranty when it stopped 'locking' up.

I use my 2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto for fun and games, but I also use it on my properties for hauling, pulling, snow plowing (awesome!!!), and just ridin' with the Granddaughter. It's been more than I thought it would be and is continually surprising me with its capabilities. Hell, the dern thing even floats!!!

Bottom line- go with whatever 'floats yer boat', but pick you're dealer carefully!

Keep the rubber down and dirty! 8

Old 11-01-2001, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

Okay were on an Arctic cat forum but hey if you want something with stump pulling power that is automatic and is rock tough with min. maintenance and has lots of power from the bottom to the top. The 99-2001 Grizzly's are the machines, there transmission system is superior, enough that Arctic cat went with the same design and they also do not have any problems. These 2 machines can put a tone of mileage and have no problems, I will say one thing the AC rides a little better, the grizzly has less moving parts and no rad hoses to worry about. As for over heating from the years i've indicated you have nothing to worry about, hell my buddie's 2000AC has to stop on trips because it over heats for some odd reason. Ya they did fix it in 01.
The prices are good on the 600 grizzly's because of the new 660 one that came out they have come down a little.
Low gear is very strong also, i work mine alot pulling heavy trailers, some odd heavy logs, and alot of camping and fishing trips with lots of mileage on the machine. and top end is 60mph.
Never has let me down once.
2000 Grizz
3800 km's(like a rock)

Old 11-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well I had a 1998 Arctic Cat for 3 years and I don't have 1 bad thing to say about them. It was an excellent reliable machine.
Now that I have said that, I was worried when I sold my cat and bought my 660 Grizz. The worries are gone. My Grizz is soooooo much fun to ride. It is a totally different riding experience. Now I really enjoy riding my ATV.
Hey Guy get what best fits you and what you will be doing, but there is nothing wrong with getting a little rush now and then.