Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 375 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I got to demo a 375,400 and 500. To be quite honest, the 375 was noticably more peppy than the 400. I did notice more power on the 500 but IMHO not $1000 difference. At first I didn't want an automatic tranny at all, but after riding one, I think I could get used to it. I'll be using it for simple trail riding. The idea of having less to think about while on the trail is sounding much more attractive all the time. I do feel comfortable that the AC auto tranny is durable and stable (unlike some other's we won't mention).

All of you AC Automatic owners. Any comments on the auto? Problems? Praises? What is involved in maintenance on the Auto?

Here's some more of my questions. :-)

There's a dealer close to me that's selling the 02 'Cats in the crates without assembly for a great price. Those of you that are dealers, is it difficult to uncrate and assemble these things? What is involved? Would you reccommend it for someone that's mechanically inclined?

How about the 375 engine.
I've heard reports that it's an Arctic Cat Snow Mobile engine (from a dealer) and I've also heard that it's a Suzuki engine (from another dealer). Can anyone confirm/deny/clarify this? Any one know of the horsepower difference between the 371 and the 376? Has anyone confirmed the top speed difference between the 02 400 and 02 375? I had heard that they are geared different, different meaning that the 375 was geared lower.

Any trouble with overheating on the 375?

EtherNut gets on his soap box now. ;-)

Air cooled engines don't concern me too much. My father has a 1972 Suzuki TS-185 Dirt Bike that he has owned since 1973. I still ride it when I go to his house. I absolutley put that engine through the mill in High-School we've replaced the piston/rings every couple of years but it's all still original besides that and a bore job <GRIN>. I do have confidence in the Suzuki stuff. But I'd rather buy American made product. That basically narrows it down to Polaris and Arctic. I did notice on the Polaris forum that there's a LOT of talk about how to repair them, and I notice on this one that there's a LOT of talk about how much riding you guys do. I deem myself to be fairly intelligent. So, I don't have to strain my brain about which brand I'll go with. AC!

I sure am enjoying this forum. You guys have been great! I'll be buying my AC in December before the Winch deal is over. I can't wait!

Thanks for all of your help!

EtherNut

Old 11-06-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Have I said something wrong? Did I ask too many questions? My apologies. Just curious why I had no responses...

I have done some research and think I found the answers to a couple of my questions.

Apparently, the 376cc engine in the AC 375 is the same engine that's in the Suzuki Eiger. It has a higher compression ratio than the 371cc engine found in the AC 400 which is why it seems more powerful. I hope I have this right.

This answers the question why the Suzuki Vinson is so much more powerful this year than the AC 500. From what I've read, the engine in the Zuk Vinson is similar to the engine in the AC 500 with a much higher C/R and a few tweaks. I'd make a prediction that we may see a more powerful AC 500 next year.

As far as overheating on the AC 375, I think BONER said it best in several forums (he has some terrific posts in some other online forums about his experience with the 375). The 375 is VERY hard to even make the fan for the oil cooler kick on. So it definately cools itself well.

About the AC Auto tranny. After reading Cowboy's Post concerning all of the work he was able to do with his Auto, I'm convinced that it's very durable. Cowboy, I am interested to find out what you find is happening with your auto though.

My question still stands about the assembly of an Arctic Cat out of the crate. Any takers on this subject?

One more question. How would one go about getting a repair manual for the AC that you own? I know I'll want one.

I hope my answers help someone out in making the correct decision.

Thanks!

EtherNut

Old 11-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ethernut, sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but you've seemed to have found all the answers to the questions I knew. I don't know about the manuals or about assembly.

I bought the 400 several months ago and my brother picked up a 375 a month back. Having ridden both, I now wish I would have got the 375. Though physically identical, it's like riding two different machines. We've not maxed the 375 out yet, so I don't know the top speed, but it out accelerates and generally performs sportier than the 400.

As far as overheating? Well, all I know is that the fan on the 375 seems to come on less often than the fan on my 400.

I'm not ready to trade the 400 in, it's a fine machine and I still like the feeling of shifting on my own, but the 375 is a hard machine to beat.

My GUESS on the assembly is that it involves putting the wheels on and maybe the handlebar. You'll also have to install the battery. When I picked mine up, they already had my brother's 375 uncrated and it looked like all they needed to do then was add the battery. They still had a month to get it ready. I bet the assembly is very minimal on these.

Old 11-07-2001, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I can't help you with all your questions,but I may be able to shed a little light on the Auto Trans. I just happened to stop at my dealer today and looked at a 375 Auto. The exhaust for the tranny has been completely relocated out the back of the trans., and actualy exhausts up high, under the plastic behind the seat. The problem with autos is that they can take on water if the vents aren't properly placed- meaning high. It looks to me like they can't get any higher without punching holes in the bodywork, so I think they've got it right on the 375. The've probably changed the other quads too; the 500 TBX has a different setup than my 500 Auto.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-07-2001, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Suzuki Makes all the motors for Arctic Cats, even there ATVs. An you are right by saying that the 375 Cat shares it's motor with the Eiger. But the AC motor is much better if you ask me. It has a higher compression ratio and an Oil cooler litterally 4 times the size of the one on the Eiger.

About uncrating the ATV. Super simple. All you have to do is have alot of room to fold out the wooden crate. Just use a pry bar and peel back each pannel. Then after you have gotten all the sizes and the top off, use some tin snips to cut the binding on the floor borads. All you have to do after that is roll it out, add battery acid before charging the battery and probaly air up the tires. It comes with all liquids already installed. But I would recomend double checking to see if the factory workers filled everything to spec.

Also, they get very dusty in shipping, so you might want to wash it before you go on a ride.

Old 11-08-2001, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ethernut,
This has turned into a very informative thread, most of my questions regarding the 375 have been answered. The only question that remains is how much is your dealer charging for these crated machines and where is he located.

Thanks
Triston

Old 11-08-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Ethernut-
Sorry-been out of town ALOT lately. Actually, just got back a couple hours ago and leaving again first thing in the morning till next wednesday I think, then off again on friday for another week afield. Anyway, it looks like most of your questions have been answered to date. As for the auto, yes, I have nothing but praise for it. Do a search back concerning "auto's and hard work", or something to that effect, again, by me probably close to a year ago now. Also, if you'll be running aftermarket or larger tires, you might also look up the "minehunter tranny trick". Lots of good info. Yes, it is true I work my auto probably harder than most work the manual machines and to date have not had a single problem with my auto tranny or belt. As for my last post concerning the bearing symptoms, I haven't updated that one yet, but yes, the bearing is bad, that is all. This one I think is my own fault, as last time I had it apart for the "minehunter tranny trick", or for cleaning/inspection, I had flushed it out with the garden hose, then air dryed and re-assembled within a short amount of time. I didn't dry it out properly, and had rust formed around the bearing on the cover. I don't know what those little guys cost, but the rust is what blew the bearing and that is what that noise is I'm hearing now as well as the heat I'm feeling coming throught the cover. As I'll be gone quite a bit over the next few weeks, I probably won't have time to get it fixed any time soon-then again, I won't be able to ride much any time soon either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img], so I guess it isn't absolutely crucial to be fixed just yet. At any rate, chalk another one up to my "sheer stupidity" for not properly drying the cover last time I washed it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

As for the 375, that is one fine looking machine. I believe all the auto's have been redesigned this year for '02, in comparison to past years. From the ones I've seen, all the ducts have been relocated to higher locations, and should be MUCH more efficient at deep water crossings with a lot less trouble than the original auto in '00. AC took note of that and from the looks of things, have responded accordingly-I think it will work great, be hard to beat for a stock machine. About your statement about the other belt driven trannies, yes, that is true too-Yammy and AC are about the best at the belt driven tranny department as far as design and efficiency goes. My dealer claims the belt is supposed to last the life of the machine, but as he's never replaced one yet, I don't know if that is a valid statement or not. One thing I do know-from that same post, the guy with the '02 Scramblers has replaced both belts on both machines TWICE now in less than 300 miles. 4 belts at $35??? each I think is what he said in 300 miles and he's about paid for one AC belt now that I have NOT had a single problem with in 1356 miles of HARD WORKING conditions.

Of course, if you'd like to get technical, I probably should have bought one of those belts for him, as he decided my 'Cat wasn't the only one who could tow logs up there during elk hunting-he hooked onto a few himself and pulled a few at that I might add, though much smaller than the ones I was pulling. I jokingly mentioned if he hooked onto a "real mans log", he'd probably fry his belt. Well, he hooked up, gassed it good, and yes, smoked his belt. Guess maybe I shouldn't have provoked him like that, and yes, a good thing he carries a spare now. If you're interested, I had to back up in there, hook that same log up and drag it down to the truck-rather easily I might add. After seeing both machines work on that same log, I really am impressed with what the 'Cat can do compared to other quads. Though in all fairness, the Scrambler is NOT what I would call a "fair comparison" at towing, so either way you look at it, it was NOT the machine for the job, but again, he did NOT have to try and help.

As for your crate question, I think Boner covered that about the best-he does that stuff a lot and if he says it's no big deal, I think you'll be fine going that route if the price break is that good for a "cat in the crate".

About the shop manuals, the only place I know of to get them is through the actual dealer. I assume the 375 will have it's own manual entirely. The 500 has the "standard manual" which sells for around $70???. This covers the "manual transmission". I have the auto, and had to buy the "auto supplement manual" for $30, which basically coveres the auto tranny and a few slight differences for '00 compared to the '00 manual trannies. Unfortunately it only has the information pertinent to the "auto", and does not contain the other elements that the "main 500 manual" has. Being brand new, and one of a kind, I think the 375 will be it's own separate shop manual all together, and I'm just guessing, but will probably be around the $70 price range. Sorry, I don't know anywhere else to get them other than your dealer.

Anyway, hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Best of Luck to ya, and I hope this has helped,

Mike

Old 11-09-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well folks, I did it. I put a down payment on a Green AC 375 4x4. I'm going to pick it up on the first of next month. My price was 4999 + 69 for the winch. There were some dealers that weren't as close to me with slightly lower prices but once I figured my drive time against mileage on my vehicle just to pick it up, It wasn't worth it to make the flight.

As for the question on the Crated AC from the dealer in Indiana. I decided not to go with them as they were charging 100 bucks forklift fee to put the AC on your trailer for you. I also heard that they weren't very helpful after the sale either.

I live in Kentucky and my dealer is only 25 minutes away. That's important to me if I need a repair.

WOW Coyboy! Thanks for the info!

EtherNut

Old 11-09-2001, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Ethernut,

Where's this "Crated Cat" dealer located in Indiana? I'm located around the Bloomington, IN area. I'd be interested in givin' them a call to see what the price knock-off is. Thanks for the info. Let me know how ya like that 375. I'm thinkin' 'bout gettin' one for the Mrs.

Bearcat

Old 11-12-2001, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I test drove a 375 today on my way back from down south. I can't say that I was very impressed.
The suspension gave a pretty good ride. It's soft enough to make a Rubicon seems harsh, but it gets stiffer after a bit of travel, as a Rubicon does, so the comfort and control level should be very good.
But there is no umf. No get-up-and-go. No excitement. In two wheel drive I couldn't come close to making it lose traction, and it didn't even give a tug at the bars. High range feels like low range, and low range feels like something is wrong with the quad. This thing is geared LOW.
I'm sure it would be VERY good for work, but like I told the salesman, I'd need to have two quads if I had the 375, cause it's no good for play. I'd get really bored looking for rock gardens to play in, and I'd get pissed as hell being last whenever I went for a ride with anyone else.

If this is a peppy Arctic Cat I'm really glad I never bought one.

As a footnote. To you guys who like your Cats, That's great for you. I'm sure they're great utility quads, and very tough and reliable. But they're not for me.

Quick Reply: AC 375 questions