Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help with ATV selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some input to help in the selection of my first atv. I have just about narrowed my choices to the AC 500i and yahama grizzly 660. what I need answers for are repair costs, reliability, and Quality. Is a locking front differintial a must have? Is independant rear suspension worut the extra moving parts. My riding will be mosty on forrest service trails (roads) rough but not muddy. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Drove my brothers Beige 660 Grizzly, and it rides really smooth. It is also fast! Got it up to 50 down a township road in no time! I also rode on the back when my brother was driving back out into the pasture towards the woods to pick up his chainsaw. He weighs at least 220 I think, and with both of us on it, it still was smooth riding! If I had the Cash right now I would probably get one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh yeah, it is also easy steering and turning too. Only negative thing my brother had to say about it is that it is a little cold blooded.

Old 12-02-2001, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

These are two nice machines – but they are in different classes. The Grizzly is faster and more powerful, but will cost considerably more money. The Sportsman 700 is a better comparison.
If having the fastest machine is not a concern, the 500i will give you a comfortable ride at a much lower price. The 500i is best compared to a Sportsman 500.

Old 12-05-2001, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

The artic cat would probably be a better choice for what you want. It sounds like the terrain you will be driving on does not require the ground clearence of IRS. artic cats are know for their smooth ride and good durability. It is also better on gas than the grizz. I'm assuming you are not going to be needing alot of speed for the type of riding you will be doing, so that is also a big plus if you choose the cat. Choose which ever you think is best. If you get a chance, test ride both before making your decision. And the locking front diff is not needed unless you travel in lots of mud or other terrain with very limited traction. For the trails you described, you shouldn't be needing the diff lock. Choose the one you like best.

JaMeS

Old 12-05-2001, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Hey mocycle2001, you are in the same boat I was in. I had a couple inches thick of brochures and internet printouts on about 7 different quads. I eventually narrowed it down to the 660 Grizz and the AC500i, much like you did.

What ended up selling the Arctic Cat for me was specific to my needs, which were as follows:
* "Keep it simple stupid" (reliability), by that I mean:
* You can get a manual tranny on the AC (not starting war on M vs A)
* 2WD/4WD is hand operated on AC, electronic on Grizz
* Display is mechanical needle on AC, LCD on Grizz
* Wheels are sturdy steel(but heavier) on AC, aluminum on Grizz
* Little more GC & travel on AC (softer), Grizz is close, but sportier

* Out the door price (quad, tax, etc) was only $6500

* Proven engine - The suzuki 500 and manual tranny are "tried and true". Don't get me run, I love any engine with the logo Yamaha on it, but I believe their 660 4 stroke is new. The suzuki 500 has been out a long time and delivers reliability, high torque, and good gas mileage.

* Rack weights are comperable, with the AC having a slight edge, but the Grizz out-tows it.

Things I wish the AC had, that the Grizz has:
* Lockable diffs (though AC has a well designed limited slip)
* 660 engine, come on, bigger always wins popularity (just not for me)
* Arguably the Grizz looks better (although the Cat is growing on me)
* All the things I mentioned about "keep it simple stupid"

But, no matter what anyone says, you have to know what your needs are and match them up with specs from the manufacture as best you can. For example, a lot of things I found to be "turnoffs" (like digital display or push button 2wd/4wd) may be what you are looking for. Also hit the forums to find out things the brochures won't tell you. Talk to the mechanics at the dealers!

PS your lockable question is, I think it is a good option, not available in AC's. However, there almost definately will be an aftermarket lock kit for it soon. But, I like AC's limited slip design.

Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2001, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

If you haven't purchased a machine before or ridden one with moderate power, like a 250 to 300cc. engine, you may well want to test ride each to get an idea of what power you think is right for you. If your weight and height is such you need a larger machine, don't fret the big $$$ you spend. It's one time and probably worth it. On the other hand, if you're comfortable on a smaller machine and just need the basics for trail riding, why spend the extra money? Sporty machines are less costly, at first. Sport/Utility machines are nice. Utility machines are just that! Built to handle the tuff jobs. You will have to learn to work on your new quad or pay to have it worked on, so you decide how you want to spend your time. If you decide to purchase a utility quad, plan to buy tires with it that work. Those tires that come on the quad are poor at best. We riders are trying to tell the manufacturers to start doing a better job of tire consideration. Good luck.
Chuck