Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 250 2x4: versus the competition? How is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to upgrade our irrigation (south central WA farm) bikes w/ AC 250's. We currently use Kawasaki 220 Bayous (the worst product ever made), Yamaha Bear Tracker 250's, and assorted Hondas. We don't have enough time on the Yammi's yet to judge them as to how they hold up. The Hondas have been good so far (we run about 10 atvs continuously during our busy season). Why I am leaning towerd the cats: 1) an actual low range sub-transmission vs. just a super low on the other bikes, 2) the tow hitch is welded to the frame, versus the axles on the other bikes (it is also heavier on the AC), 3) a actual oil cooler. The Honda Recon has one, but it is half the size of the AC's, and 4) the AC's larger towing and rack capacities. The bikes are used hard in towing in 90+ degree summer weather, w/ mud and personell that aren't really very mechanically smart (this is an under statement). We are going to add the auxillary fan, and the 4 year warrenty. Our local dealer has a great parts person (I am an avid cat snowmobile rider), ? on the service end (most of which we do ourselves anyway). I am looking for any one with input on these bikes for these purposes and how they compare with other brands (mainly yamaha and honda). I greatly appreciate any information. Thank you for your time.

Old 12-08-2001, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey dude I wont say that a 220 the worst , I own a 220 & a 250 ac I like the 250 better ,It has better brakes , steering ,IRS low range, the ride is great its a good work horse . I PULL trailers in the junkyard , drag wood , but mos tly just trailride with it we have a 400-4x4 for work , our 220 is real fast a lot fun ,my son likes it a lot to play with . But to work i recomnend the 250 alot

Old 12-08-2001, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think the max tongue weight on that puppy is 30 lbs. Of course, that's a recommendation from the mfg, but since it's an independent rear suspension, a heavy load on the hitch will lower the clearance.

As far as the 250/300 go, I can vouch that they are like mini-tractors.. mucho traction!!!

Old 12-09-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I think the Arctic Cat is the perfect choice for the type of use you are talking about. The only other bike that I could think of to compete with the 250 2wd is the 250 4wd in your case. IT would have a TRIPLE range subtransmission for even more versitility, more traction, and pull better with the added front end weight (will steer when you want it to better when pulling those heavier loads).

I think you pretty much listed all of the reasons that make it better. So, I'll just recomend that if you do get the Arctic Cat, get the rear skid plate (250s are the only ones that lack this), the 2500 lb winch, and boot guards front and rear.