Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 500 Auto Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IwoaBob glad to hear to made the fix you did the right thing. Yes, 15 minutes and a few cuss words is what it takes to get the airbox connected back onto to the carb. It's a tight fix but you have to admit a good leak proof design. That double seal had me worried too when I took it apart. I had trouble with the rubberized bolt connection dropping out. I've never seen these before. Again, a pretty good design to fight vibration.

Oh, for everyone who does'nt want to spend $12 on a factory oil filter. Write this down, SMO-18 STP Motorcycle filter from Autozone, $4. Will fit fine. This filter services most big bore Suzuki motors.

CrazyCat, I go to the dealer tomorrow and will ask him for the service bulletin on the mastercylinder.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

NewCatMan, those rubber nuts had me scratching my head for a while too. Once I figured out how they worked I thought they were pretty slick. For those of you who have not encountered them yet, they push out of the hole without much force when you go to put the bolt back in if you don't have everything lined up just right. If they do, take your finger nails and stretch them out to there uninstalled length (about 3/4&quot, drop them back into the hole and screw away.

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

CrazyCat I read the service bulletin for the mastercylinders there will be a recall for a few AC 500I's. I did not get the exact VIN # for you. AC will notify effected owners by registered mail. They will replace the entire mastercylinder with new.

I got the pressure switch for mine and it's a different part number so AC is not replacing it with another bad one. Easy installation no bleeding required. I just wrenched the old one off applied some sealant to the threads of the new one connected the wires and buttoned the access cover back on. I could get to it by removing an access panel behind the front wheel. The dealer instructions were very straight forward. He has to send my old one back for credit. It looks just like an oil sending unit for cars.

Oh yea, I put 20 miles on it riding on a foot of fresh powder what a rush!

Old 01-14-2002, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

HI NewCatMan and all. Thanks for checking that out for me I really appreciate it! Do you remember if it said why they replacing them were there any failures? I can't wait till we get some measurable snow here in southern New England (we've only had about 4.5 inches so far, way below average). Tell me What do you think of the the dunlop tires overall? How were they in the snow? So far I have not been to impressed by them. I think the stock titan 489's on my 2000 AC300 were much better as a matter of fact I almost ordered 589's today but I decided to wait to here more about the dunlops I hav'nt gottin any response to my post in the tire & suspension thread. Anyone else have any input on this subject? I know rides4fun and chunkyboy switched to the 589's. One more question I'm not sure how many miles/hours you have on your 500 auto but did or does yours seem like engine/tranny is "tight".If so has it "loosened" up at all? Thanks again

Old 01-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

CrazyCat,

I can tell you mine is REAL "tight". First ride mine wouldn't idle cold but after 5 miles it idled fine. Then the next day the same thing but it was idling pretty good after a couple miles. Currently only have 21 miles on it and the dealer said to wait until the break-in period was over before adjusting the idle (and, that I probably wouldn't need to once it loosened up).

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for your reply IowaBob. I'm glad it isn't just my atv. I guess that's why they call it a "break in" period. I just don't remember my 2000 300 4x4 cat being like that.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

The MasterCyl. like the pressure switch was prone to leaking which could lead to failure. I was'nt going to worry about it until I saw it was a different part number. The dunlops seem like a light cheaper tire. I would like to go to a 12" wide tire on the rear with either a Goodyear or Titan. I realy like the looks of a 26" tires but am hesitant to give up anymore power and don't want to add weight and drive train stresses.

I have 140 miles and the engine is just loosening up everthing else is still nice and stiff, suspension, brakes. I have an Auto so I can't comment on the tranny. It starts in 15 - 20 degree weather with the touch of the starter each time.

Old 01-24-2002, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

Read on RatMan.........