Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Looking at 500i Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really concidering the 500i manual shift and would like some feed back good and bad? And my next question is does everone seem to have the idleing problem or is it a select few?

Old 02-05-2002, 11:20 AM
MAV
Weekend Warrior

kodiac, i just bought one sat. this is the first atv i'v ever own. so i don't know how it compares to the other brands out there. but i like it very much. but i have detected a clicking noise in the right rear wheel. at first i thought i had a stick lodge in it or maybe a peice of wire wraped around something back there. i can''t heare it on the left only the right. i called my dealer and he told me to bring it in and he would fix it.i wonder if anyone has had this happen to there ac.but all in all i think i will be happy with it.oh by the way the ideal problem i told the dealer about what i read on this site about putting the vent hose over to the left side and he did it for me and mine would idle all day i think with out any problems.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Mav, I also have that clicking noise from the right rear area.I beleive It is the brake caliper piston.On cars they put a spring behind the piston I beleive to keep a little pressure on it so you won't hear the clicking.I did not have that noise on my 2000 300 4x4 however. please let me know what your dealer says or does.Kodiak400, I have not had the idle problem on my 500i auto.The re-routing of the carb. vent hose does not need to be done on the 500"i" models. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

CrazyCat,
I do not believe that rerouting the carb vent hose is the solution. I have a 02 400i with about 80 miles on it. I went out Sunday, and after about 1-1.5 hours the idle started to slow down so much I thought it would quit. So, I adjusted it upwards....twice. About 10 minutes later, she started to wind up like I was revving up to do the quarter mile. I again adjusted it down, probably to what it was before, and it ran OK the remaining 2 hours.

I do not know what it is, but if it was a pinched hose, it would have been pinched all day long as I did not touch anything except the idle adjusttment.

About the clicking noise. I have heard it from my wheels. I can reproduce it by shoving on the side of the tire. My noise seems to be coming from the wheel lug nuts. Perhaps too tight, or too loose. I suspect it may be too tight, or just the nature of the beast until it wears in a bit.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Range Rover

BJBlomert, I'm not sure what your saying.I had said that my 500i does<u>NOT</u> have the idle problem and the re-route mod. does<u>NOT</u>apply to the &quot;i&quot; models.The clicking noise on your machine is still most likely the caliper.Having to tight a lug nut would not make a noise but may snap the stud or bend the wheel. Hope this helps!

Old 02-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

CrazyCat, MAV, &amp; Kodiak 400:
Sorry for not being clearer. I never said you had the idle problem, but somehow must have given you that impression. I should have addressed the post to MAV and Kodiack 400.

Anyway, I DO have an idle problem or issue , and I also have the i model. I have not done any mods to the carb vent tubes (as was discussed under another message title before). So, I don't know what to think! (vgb). I do not know what is causing this occasional idle dilema (sp?), but I do not think it is the vent tubes being block or crushed because then it would do it all the time.

I do know that I am going to put an inline gas filter on the quad ASAP and see if that helps. I know that my gas containers are not all that clean even though I just cleaned them a little while ago...dirty gas right from the pumps?

Old 02-06-2002, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think it is dirty gas. I've filled mine right at the pump both times. There are a number of things in the service manual that are listed as possible causes. These were on an earlier post. I haven't found my problem yet. Some checks need dealer attention and I haven't had it back yet. No miles(21) on it. Too cold and the snowmobilers own the trails up here this time of year. I'll post when I get to the bottom of it.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

Well looked it over good on the weekend and went to move carb vent hose to left as suggested. Found is was a lttle pinched and had a fair bit of ice in it probably from last ride/wash. Cleaned out ice and ran it for 15-20minutes; no idle problem!!!!

Old 02-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

The vent hose on my 500i has a wear mark on it that shows where the seat hits the hose. The air isn't cut off to the carb yet but I can see where it could become a problem after some breaking in of the rubber pads and locators on the bottom of the seat. It's probably a good idea to move the hose now if you haven't had a problem, to be sure you won't have it later. May be a good idea to lengthen the hose to go as high as possible too.
Chuck

Old 02-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

We had this same idle problem that BJBlomert is describing on my dads 98 400. It would idle up them idle down for no apparent reason. We drained the gas tank cleaned it good, drained the carb, adjusted the valves, adjusted the trottle cable and rerouted the vent lines. This eemed to help the problem somewhat. Later on after the quad was a couple of years old, we replaced the air filter with a UNI filter. After doing this we went to a one size fatter main jet and cleaned the carb out real good. It completely solved the idle racing problem. It runs like a champ now. I don't know if it was the jetting, cleaning the carb or what but it worked.
It really sounds like a vacum leak. Have you checked your clamps that hold the carb boots on? On my first 02 500 it backfired and blew the carb completely off the boot. It could be that the boots are loose and letting unmetered air past. This would cause a lean condition, and maybe make the idle fluctuate some. This is just a guess and its free just take a phillips screwdriver and tighten them up. See if it helps. Let us know.