Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 4-wheel drive system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002 | 08:34 AM
Range Rover

hey dudes , Andy you hit the nail on the head , there is nothing wrong with the diff , it just 3 wheels a lot, too much , way to much , It go's great pulls real good , and the ground clearance helps out more than you would think , every body thinks that keeping the wheels on the ground will help and it dose , But every time I gets stuck its on all 4s, and one front wheel is setting still , you got to think if that wheel was pulling I woulding hooking this winch up, or my old 01 went through here last summer whats wrong , don't get me wrong I am very pleased with my i model , but ac could have done better on the diff , and I think they did it to ease the steering , and it did this thing steers to easy sometimes , but Im not fussing about that, thats a good thing , But I know if suzuki can build a manual locking front diff then ac dropped the ball , just my oppinion , I may be wrong but I think they could have to , an now knowing the diffenece I would have payed for it to on mine , they could offered it as dealer add on , or factory , but it needed something , let the flames began I know I get some flack over this but go ahead I need it CHUNKY BOY

Old 02-17-2002 | 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I'm right there with you Chunky. If AC was going to design a new differential for their quads they should have went with some sort of locking differential. This was a big mistake on their part (IMO). I would think when you are making something new you would improve on the design.
I did ride with a Rubicon yesterday, and their front differential is no better. I do believe that all the manufacturers will have to change their ways in the future, and have some way to put power to all 4 wheels at the same time.

Old 02-17-2002 | 10:08 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Chunkyboy
"But I know if Suzuki can build a manual locking front diff then ac dropped the ball, just my opinion." Got to say that AC should build a manual locker. I don't want to deal with an electric 4x4 system like the Griz or Vinson (not that there's anything wrong with them). It's a little disappointing to read that the 01 has a front diff that 3-wheels less than the 02.

Old 02-17-2002 | 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have been told that the reason that AC didn't put a locker on their machine was for liability purposes. If you use a mechanical locker there is nothing to limit your speed and anyone who has ever ridden a machine with a locked front end know they are a handful to steer. That is why Suzuki had the low gear lock for 250 and 300's. If you were to go over about 20 mph the thing would be so tough to steer it would be dangerous. Why do you think the Grizzly has the system it does? AC goes for reliability, if they lock the front end they would have to somehow electronically control the engine to prevent person from going too fast while locked.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Old 02-17-2002 | 07:49 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

minehunter
I realize the importance of keeping a locked quad from going too fast. The few times I've experimented with locking my 250's diff has shown me it how hard it is too steer at slow speeds, saying nothing about what a nightmare it would be at a quicker pace. Cat could engineer a system that would require the rider to shift into low range when engaging 4x4 lock. As for my Grizz comment, I meant to say I prefer having a manual 4x4 shifter as opposed to an electric push button. KISS (keep it simple stupid (no I'm not referring to you)). If there's a problem involving the electric shift it is much harder to track down the problem. Also it the electric system fails then you could be stuck with a quad in only 2wd or 4wd or worse somewhere in between.

Old 02-17-2002 | 08:07 PM
Range Rover

HEY DUDES , Minehunter your right you cant control high speed in a 4 wheel locked position , but again ac should have a way to control speed either through the rev limiter or a low gear lock are maybe some other way , They should have the resorces all other quad manfactures have , If not then they will not surive in todays market , I agree I dont want a electic gismo on mine , but my old quadrunner did'nt have one , If you are going to charge the same then offer what other have , like the new 360 kawasaki diff lock at you finger tips , with a cable to pull petty simple , I am not bashing arctic cat , but I have 6000 dollars tied up in mine and cant trade no more for a while , I expected it to out do my 2001 and I was let down , Now I make payments on something that I either must work on , modify , or wait till I can trade it on something else, which I like ac but I have a kawasaki that been petty bullet prof to , this is my 3 ac , I broke the shock collar on dec 18 , 2001 they tell me from the factory that my parts will be here end of feb Im a little unhappy with that to , I am all for buy american , but I expect them to sevice what they sell to Sorry dont mean to down ac but they had better wake up and see the consumer as the one to please, not the bottom line profit margin, bettter quit bragging on how much profit they made and start pleasing the comsumer now , a diff lock would be a start with a retro fit to older models , if they dont, I dont see a 4 ac in my stable next time , Im sorry but thats how I feel VA CHUNKY BOY

Old 02-18-2002 | 06:04 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

chunkyboy
I know how you feel waiting around for parts. I've been waiting since Nov for a right mud flap. The warehouse keeps sending a 02 flap instead of a 01. The dealer tells me the warehouse has the numbers screwed up so I'm still waiting. Yes, I've tried another dealer but they didn't have any in stock. The little things really add up.

Old 02-18-2002 | 06:14 PM
Range Rover

HEY DUDE , TG1, I dont think the dealers have much control in this issuse , mine is a great person , he has been very helpfull at all times , but he says they are putting in a new computer system and it will just take some time , MAYBE they will get it worked out someday , VA CHUNKY BOY

Old 02-18-2002 | 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hey TG1 Suz Vinson doesn't have a locking front diff electric or otherwise.

Old 02-18-2002 | 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Highlifter makes the gearless locker for the Vinson for around $400. Man I wish I had one (locker not Vinson).

Quick Reply: AC 4-wheel drive system