Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 4-wheel drive system

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002 | 09:24 PM
|
Trailblazer

In mud and snow the 4x4 AC's are supposed to have all- wheel drive. I have found this to be true with my 2001 AC 500 in the snow. Haven't been in any mud yet. I didn't even know about the front diff being more than a limited slip until i read a review on the AC somewhere on the website. I've gone up hills, snowy and/or muddy, with stock tires that (in my opinion) would leave any honda or whatever spinning
somewhere near the bottom. Anyway i was just wondering how you guys like the whole 4x4 setup. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2002 | 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't say that I've been up stuff that would leave Hondas and stuff sitting, but for a limited slip, the AC is pretty good. Its design provides better traction and less slippage than the old 300/400/450 honda differentials as well as the yamaha and Kawasaki's (300/400 prairies & bayous). This is probably why the AC's do not steer as easily. You have to sacrifice something either way.

Still, with this differential, you have front traction as long as both tires are on the ground. Come up out of a muddy ditch with on tire off the ground and lose rear traction and you will go no further. Not unless you get a run at it or something. Been here numerous times on my AC. The 660 in regular 4wd mode would be even worse. Still there are some that deny this, but my guess is they just haven't been in the right predicament. Still, for a limited slip, the AC gets good traction.

Old 02-14-2002 | 09:01 PM
|
Trailblazer

I think that the AC's great hill climbing ability comes from having more wight in the front end than most other quads. Anyway, i know what you mean about coming out of ditches. I've also had trouble when you have to turn when climbing. The only thing to do is like you said, to get a good start, or put it in 1st gear and squeeze the brake. This can be a pain sometimes but like we both said, the AC is tough to beat for a limited slip quad.

Old 02-14-2002 | 09:49 PM
Range Rover

hey dudes , I had a 2001 400 4x4 ac , The front dif was great , it was a little different then a 500 and it would go great , it steered like a bear and would wear my arms out in a day of riding but it would go , My new 2002 400i likes a little beening as good , It has the same diff as the 500 and the limited slip is not as good ,when push comes to shove ,I like my warn winch , Ive stuck it 3 times so far all because of the diff , I have m/s 26 589s on the i to , I sometimes think if i hadnt got the tires I couldnt go alot of places i go now , after the warrantty out im going to work on the diff , may try somthing a little bird showed me , i wish the diff out of my old 250 quad runner would fit in the i model now that thing did good and no electric gagets or buttons just a lever worked great to well talk to much now HAPPY TRAILS CHUNKY BOY

Old 02-15-2002 | 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh Yeah!! I forgot about that. The AC500 is awesome because of the weight in the front. I can't figure out how I forgot that, cause I used to brag about it all the time. Yes, the ATV magazine automatic shootout weighed them all and the AC had like 100lbs. more resting over the front tires than the rear. It made steep hillclimbs so much more comfortable. Good point.

Nothing I hate worse on a quad than less weight in the front, and that was my major qualm about the Sp500. It has quite a bit more in the rear.

Old 02-15-2002 | 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Andy gotta ?? you on the weight distribution, your right a lot more comfortable feeling going Up the hills but what then?? Your country must be like my hunt camp uphill away from & back to camp!!!! What makes you comfortable going uphill is REALLY scary going down!! I like my even distributed 300, only a little scary up & a LITTLE scary back down

Old 02-15-2002 | 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Actually when you are sitting on the seat the weight is distibuted pretty well even. When you stand on the pegs it puts the bias back up front. I will agree that coming down a hill can get a little tricky, the great engine braking of the manual makes it even worse. I have never flipped though. I don't know what it is but the Sportsmans seem to be light in both ends. I wonder if the suspension has something to do with this?

Old 02-15-2002 | 11:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oddly enough it was good both ways. I figured with the weight in the front plust the winch it would make downhills less stable, but I can remember one massive hill out in the woods that I went down flawlessly with it. To this day I won't go back down that thing. Not on the Grizzly or even the AC if I still had it. The Arctic Cat was the most comfortable and confident quad I've ever sat on for any incline. Uphill, Downhill, or Off-camber for that matter.

Old 02-16-2002 | 02:23 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I was surprised after getting my little 250 how well it handled hill climbs. Logic reasoned that with an engine positioned rearward would cause for the front to feel light or even worse lift. I'm happy to report no trouble.
The 4x4 system is great (still haven't lengthened the shifter to gain true 4x4) there has only been a couple of 3 wheeling times. All involved lifting a front tie off the ground, just like Andy has described before.
The 2002's have a weaker front diff? My only ride on a 500i was around the dealer's parking lot and out back by a new building site. Not a good way to test the 4x4 system. What exactly is wrong with the diff?

Old 02-16-2002 | 04:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think there is anything wrong with it so to speak. The speculation gives me the idea that it is more prone to 3-wheel compared to the older differentials. Thats what I've read here at least. I don't have any experience with it so I don't know personally. Still, if there is a difference, its going to be a less preferred system than before rather than something with a mechanical problem.

Quick Reply: AC 4-wheel drive system