Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500i skid plate vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an irritating vibration noise coming from the skid plate of my 500i. I have cut some rubber hose and put it in different places to dampen the vibs and it works for a ride or two and then it starts up again in different places at different RPMs. Seems like all I'm doing is retuning the d*mn thing. My next step was to remove it all together and put rubber isolation washers at all connection points but thought I'd see if any of you folks have had the problem and maybe a better fix.

Bob

Old 02-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem. I just drilled and countersunk a few more holes in critical areas where my skid plate was a little bit rippled and vibrating on the frame. I also thought about removing it and running a bead of silcone around the frame and letting it set up then reattach the skid plate. Good luck

Dakota R/T

Old 02-20-2002, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks dakotart, that silicone idea sounds like a real winner. It would catch all of the contact points with the frame.

Bob

Old 02-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Range Rover

Hey Guys, I also had the same problem. I first tried to fix it by loosening up a few of the screws and placing rubber in a few of the areas I thuoght the noise was coming from and like you said Iowabob, it worked for a while then it popped up again in another spot! What I did is remove the skid plate and got some rubber door weather stripping from the hardware store. It comes in differant widths and thicknesses and it also cheap about $1.69 for 10 feet it has adhesive tape on one side. So I ran that along the whole frame and the crossmemmber parts So far no vibrating from the skidplate. By the way I left little 1" gaps in differant areas so when washing the ATV water won't sit up against the frame and rust it if all the water did'nt drain from the oil drain holes. The adhesive also comes off easilly enough if you ever had to replace it!
I also have a vibrating noise which seems to be coming from around the hi-lo beam switch on the handle bar but I havent pin pointed that one yet.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Crazy Cat, The vibrations around the left bars is actually from the side panels. This one drove me crazy, I kept grabbing the front brake lever. I put foam tape on four corners where the side panel meet on left and right panels. Also, the contact above the taillight needs foam shimming as well. Thanks for the tip on the skid plate!

Old 02-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! Some great ideas ... sure glad I asked.

Bob

Old 02-20-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

You are more than welcome dude. I've noticed a few rattles here and there and I like to ride a smooth quad so I work on them as I see fit. I have a friend who rides with us on his brand x quad and he loves the fact that the cats are so much smoother than his. He even forgot to bring his quad the last time out so he could ride my 400. It was funning pulling up to our ranch and seeing him w/o his quad...how convenient that i have two cats.

Dakota R/T

Old 02-21-2002, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good call on the skid plate vib, also found the front fender extensions vibrate a little, read your guys forum for about a month while doing research on which ATV to buy. Got the 500i manual with the 2500lb Warn,looking to get a plow, havent had much use for it this year though

Cheers!!

Old 02-27-2002, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

Iowa Bob and Crazy Cat, I was going for a spirited romp in the woods the other day and was impressed with the stability and rattlefree ride (thanks to you guys) of the New Cat. On the down hill ride home I heard a buzzing sound coming from below. Close inspection revealed the radiator guard rattling. Tightening the four wing bolts is not enough. You need to apply two strips of the foam weather stripping on the top and bottom. This will also serve to protect the radiator from long term chaffing that is likely from the guard.

Thats all from the Rattle Patrol....happy trails!

Old 03-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks to you guys from me too, Iowa Bob and Crazy Cat. I've been wondering where the vibration was coming from but it's been too cold or I was too busy to check. I originally thought it was due to the style of engine mounting. Suzuki, uses rubber grommets on all the mounts where as it looks as though AC, decided to not use them except in a few areas. Your post makes sense that it would be the skid plate on my 500i and I had hoped to post about the weather stripping for a damper. But you guys, as always have some pretty good mechanics in here to figure things out.
I will say this! AC, didn't leave any room for us to mount the State Permits for trail riding. Those fender flares on back don't fair well for a stick-on permit or any other stick-on insignia. Try this. Clean the area well on that fender flare, with alcohol or dirt and grease remover. After it dries, use a little silicon on the back of the permit, all over... Place it on the fender and use a hair dryer to heat the permit enough to start the drying process. Leave it over night, the next day you can ride and wash with your power washer. Give it 24-36 hours to cure if you're in cold weather like me.
Come on Spring time! I'm ready...
Chuck

Quick Reply: 500i skid plate vibration problem