Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

250 4x4 GONE... What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 08:37 PM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trusty 250 has been sold. It was a little sad seeing it go but life goes on, now the fun starts. Already I'm torn between a couple of machines. Yes, I've said in the past I'd buy another Cat but... A dealer is running a deal in which I can get a 500 Quest for $5700! True 4wd, liquid cooled, tough as nails construction but it lacks IRS, the ground clearance, and the good looks of a Cat. Another dealer (Cat) is offering 400i for $5400, 375s for $4999 and 500i autos for $6400. Unfortunately he has no more I models and is not sure when they'll be in. Anyone got any advice? I like trail riding but could care the less for going insanely fast. Mudding is fun once and a while but prefer riding challenging rocky trails, or tight woods trails. Since most of the people I ride with have Polaris ATVs I'd like to be different.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say you should disregard price (i know that may be difficult to do) and choose the machine you really want the most. When you are out on the trail and wishing you had the super suspension and ground clearance of a cat what's that saving really going to mean? Now i know there is a point where if you save enough then it MIGHT make it worthwhile... but still you should go for what you will be most happy with. If it were me, however, i would be going cat all the way!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] but then again that is a biased oppinion..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2002, 10:18 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Cats have almost everything I'm looking for except a locker. Then again I don't really like mud running so a locker is slightly less important. From my short time with the 250 I learned Cat makes a first rate product. I'm going to poke around the different forums to see if I can get swayed one way or another.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

Why not get one of the 'i' models - 400i, 500i....Ask your dealer to find one for you - that's what I did, and I'm picking up my 500i auto tomorrow...Also, cat is offering $500 in free accessories (until 6-1-02, I believe) so you can get a nice winch or whatever else youy may need...If you dont get the cat IRS you'll regret it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2002, 11:24 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

My girlfriend keeps telling me to go buy an i. Anyone know how long it takes for a dealer to get in more ATVs? I just don't want to wait around and miss half of the spring riding. Although I don't want to be riding something that isn't exactly what I want. Cat is the only manufacture that produces more than just one machine that I like. A while back I took a quick test drive of both the 500auto and a 500iauto. Both were great, the i looked a little meaner (love to show it off to the guys that brag about their Sportsmans). The Act 500 has a reputation for having a rear suspension that is almost as good as IRS with 4 less CV boots to worry about.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Your dealer should be able to get one from another dealer, my dealer has done this for me. Ask him, I'm sure he would do that rather than have you go elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

I know how you feel about waiting. I decided NOT to wait and got the 400 act (this was before the "i" models were released). In all honesty, I don't think I missed out on much. I test rode both at a local GameFair event and could not distinguish the ride difference. The "i" will give you more clearance, but the Act modal allready has a lot of clearance (10.25&quot and less to "worry" about.

I think if I did a lot of crawling over rocks, I'd feel different, though. If you do a lot of crawling where clearance might be the "make or break" issue, hunt down that "i" model.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Don't worry about missing some of the spring riding season. Like the others said, be patient and wait until you can get what you really want. I waited since September to get my ATV (which I will get within the next two weeks) because I wanted to save up as much as I could so I wouldn't have to finance it.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:33 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's hard not rushing in but like you've all said I should take my time. Knowing that this has been thrown around before: Comparing the ACT to the IRS is there that big of a difference? Since most of the time I'll be riding double I'm curious if either machine is better at handling the additional weight. Mudcat overall how does your 02 rate, do you regret not buying an i?

Old 03-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

The i model wasn't out when I got my 02, but I had heard about it and knew it was coming. I have since rode an i model it is very different, I think. The only reason I would want an i is for the clearence. I just don't see that much difference in the ride, I did ride it on a trail but not very long.
We have a 250 4x4 also and have been trough the cv boot replacement on the rear several times. This is the reason that I would still choose an ACT today. I just have trouble with cv boots on anything I ride so the fewer the better. I seen a 500i with 27" Vampires on it Friday and wow that thing is tall 14.75" GC. But there comes a time when all that ride height starts to work against you as far as stability. I know they are wider but they are no longer, you also need stability while going up and down hills. The higher center of gravity will have some negetive effects at some point. I ride a lot of hills so this would be an issue with me. If you don't ride a lot of hills it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know that it has any effect on the i -vs- ACT I haven't ridden an i enough or ridden with an i enough. But I don't think my 02 is as stable on hills as the other Cats that I've had. This could be because of the softer shocks also. The i doesn't seem to have near as much body roll as the ACT.
I am happy with the act I do wish it had a locker though, I won't lie. Is it worth riding another brand? not yet.
I would encourage you to put some time on both the i and the act to see which one you like the best. The price isn't enough to to sway me one way or another.

Quick Reply: 250 4x4 GONE... What to buy?