Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cats don't always land on their feet

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Dakotart, Mrs. Dakotart, my nephew (bushwhacker), and I went to Yegua Creek at Somerville State Park today and that is where it finally happened. I flipped my cat. I was going down a near vertical face and my fairlead caught in the dirt and presto it did an end over end 180. All I remember is hitting the ground and crawling like hell. My rear rack caught me on my ankle which is a little sore but not broken. I was lucky. I bent my handlebars but I corrected that with extreme force. They are actually back where they were when I bought the cat. After the flip, I tore off a mudflap because it kept getting caught on the tire and making a fart noise. So I dismounted and ripped it off. Then (no I'm not done yet) I rearended Mrs. Dakotart and tore a hole in my front grill with her tailpipe. So all in all I had one heck of a day but the cat still runs flawlessly except my speedometer is pegged at 60 mph when sitting still.

To all of you who are going to try to scold me and tell me how stupid I am, I just want you to know that I'm still alive, it's over and done with, and I'll think twice about doing the same maneuver again. BTW, I rearended Mrs. Dakotart because my brakes had mud in them. So please, don't reply and tell me what a dumbass I am (I already know) because that will only **** me off.

Texascat

Old 03-16-2002, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer

Just as long as you werent being stupid... Riding is for taking it to the extreme, whether it be extreme relaxation or extreme action.

Old 03-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Range Rover

HEY DUDE , thing's like that happen , glad your okay , I tell you it's done and over before you know it , I be more worried about hitting a womens quad , that will get you hurt fast , if the crash don't get you , SHE WILL, MY wife gets ill over her quad and it don't take long for it either , happy trails VA CHUNKY BOY

Old 03-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

S'like I keep teaching my kids with these things..."It's not IF you get in an accident, it's WHEN. I want you to be prepared WHEN it happens, because at some point it WILL happen."

Not that I WANT them to get in any accidents, mind you, but I want them to be prepared, and I also want them to push their limits a little and not ride the thing like its one of those battery operated kiddy ones.

So far, everyone in my my family has flipped or rolled an ATV except my 11 year old (and don't think he doesn't point this out.)

Kudo's to you, Texascat, for having the daring to push a limit and the skill to live through it!

Old 03-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Texascat,

The rest of the day was awesome. I have some cool pics to prove it. The flipping incedent was scary but man can you move on all fours. I feel bad because my first reaction after I saw that you were ok was to laugh and try to help you flip it back over. The real question is who do you thing performed the best yesterday? Was it the 500 manual cat, the 400 manual cat, and the 500 autocat that performed flawlessly and never stopped running except when it was flipped over, or was it the polaris with the fouled plug problem, slipping belt after hitting the water, and air filter compartment that wouldn't stop taking on water?(Sorry but it was true and we all did the exact same stuff all day long) Mrs. Dakotart was very happy. The 400's tailpipe survived with only a scratch too bad your grill didn't fair as well. I'm going to try and get my folks out there sometime soon. They want to ride. My digital camera didn't make it out too well, it won't open or close the lens w/o some persuassion now. The day was great! Mud, dirt, beef jerky, cool aid, near trip to the hospital, sand, sand, sand, sand in every crack of my body, sun, sun burn, water, and lots of quads. We're going again!

Oh and for the guy with the new Grizzly 660 with the billet wheels, 27" blackwaters, new trailer, new truck, and extra fog lights on everything...ride the thing! Don't tippy toe around every obstical! Who buys mud tires so he can go around the mud? If you are going to do that than go get a 2wd 300 something or other. Sorry, I just can't stand watching a great machine go to waste.

Old 03-16-2002, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

That link page is awesome...Glad to see that you can still ride & type!!

Old 03-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Texascat and everyone else,

I updated the web page to include the new trip photos. I don't have any of the accident because I was to busy running down the cliff myself but there are some nice shots of use playing around. I even added some animated graphics and stuff to spruce up the page a bit. New stuff is at the bottom along with some older stuff I've been meaning to upload.

laters guys and gals
Dakota R/T

Old 03-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Got a red 500 like yours also. From the pic, did you notice that the 4x4 looks the same when the quad is upside down, saw mine like that, it cost $100.00 to replace the speedometer on mine. Cheap lesson to learn, don't do more than you are sure of!