Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Leaky Diff Seal on '01 400 and '02 375

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has an '02 375 and he noticed that there is some fluid accumulation on the input shaft area of his rear differential. We took a quick look at my '01 400 and I seem to have the same problem. It looks as though this might be an area where lubrication would be needed, as the shaft and rubber boot spin and the diff doesn't. Has anyone else noticed this? My brother plans on taking his back to the dealer soon and I'll post the results here when he does. Just thought that I'd at least see if anyone else has this problem.

Old 04-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

Let us know what becomes of that... the CV boot has not split or anything has it??? Oh I like your famous last words quote! When I was younger a freind of mine said that right before attempting a bicycle jump and breaking has arm!

Old 04-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I don't think that the boot is damaged, but I will double check to be sure. That is the area that I am talking about though.

Yeah, I have heard that quote so many time preceding some type of serious personal injury, I just had to put that in my signature. I have even said it myself, only to be bleeding profusely shortly afterward. Ah, old times - like the time some friends and I decided to tie a piece of plywood behind the 4 wheeler and pull it like a sled - in chirt no less. This was after we wore the grass area out. Get the wood moving then cut the 4 wheeler sharply and you would really get up some speed - sometimes catching air. Super fun if you can hang on - but if you couldn't be picking rocks from your flesh!

Old 04-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my 2001 400. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered me a new seal. In the mean time the seal stopped leaking. I asked a buddy who use to work on them and he said soemtimes when they sit the seals get dry and don't seal as well but after a little time they reseal themselves. That was about 700 miles ago. I didn't take it back to the dealer yet. I have been watching the level and it hasn't moved. I should have had it replaced but it didn't work out that way. Good luck

Old 04-23-2002, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

We checked the level in both machines, and both were still full. They do sit for weeks at a time before they get ridden, so what you said sounds very logical. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing on my 500 but our 400 if leak free. The fluid is actually from a different little chamber in front of the rear diff. Check the diff fluid but you will see it won't change a bit. It is more of a grease than diff fluid. My dealer showed me when he replaced it on my 500 right after it was new. it's like an axle grease so when you ride it heats up and thins out and slips past the seal. Let the dealer replace it if they will just so you have documentation of a leak for future warranty work or even when it is off warrenty in case something lets loose. Texascat and I have both had no problems with ours. Mine was replaced 700 miles ago and he left his alone and it runs great 700 miles later too.

Dakota R/T

Old 05-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Range Rover

BamaCat400,
I took a close look at my 500i Auto last night . I seem to have the same leak but it is on my front diff. Did you or your brother take it back to the dealer yet ? or find out any more info. as to what the cause may be? Please keep us posted!

Old 05-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

I believe what happens is that weeds get wrapped around the driveshaft and eventually work their way around the boot and into the lip of the seal, thats at least what happened to mine and my buddies. It lets the grease out of the bearing and shows up on the diff inlet. After we replaced the bearings, seals we took a rubber pvc pipe coupling and slit it. Slipped it around the diff housing, covering the boot as well and securing it with three hose clamps. This is the fix we have come up with so far, and it works.. no more grass wrapping around the driveshaft. If the rubber boot was longer and went on to the diff housing farther this wouldn't be a problem. ACzr2k