Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

98 500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, just picked up 98 500 4x4. It had 750 Miles on it. First impression is good, plenty of power, bike seems tight. Just looking for other owners of this machine for comments and suggestions for this machine. I would to get a service manual as well, should i approach AC for this? Any thing to look out for on this machine? Mods, etc...

Thanks

Mark

Old 05-03-2002, 12:44 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Vewdew welcome to the wonderful world of Cats. I'm not sure but I thought on the older ACT bikers there was a problem with something on the rear end. Maybe a bearing for the rear drive shaft? Someone with more knowledge will be able to help. As for the service manual it would help a lot (I haven't ordered mine but I will soon). Hope you have good luck with your Cat.

Old 05-03-2002, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

vewdew, I just happen to have a factory service manual for a 98 454 / 500. I had a 98 500 and loved the quad. I put over 3700 miles on it and had just a few problems, all of which were covered under the extended warranty. I had a rectifier go out , this may have been caused by me wiring up my fan to run with a switch. I shorted it out while wiring it up and the rectifier never worked after that. I got some fishing line wrapped around the front axle and ripped the seal. I put hard miles on mine with 27" Vampires. It still had the original wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends. In my opinion you have purchesed a very good quad, enjoy and good luck.

If you want the service manual I would sell it to you. I think I paid around $35 for it, it is in good shape with all the pages and cover. I just noticed you live in Nova Scotia, I don't know about shipping it to you as far a cost goes. I wouldn't think it would be too much though.

Old 05-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Thx for the reply. I wish i could take the machine out of 4x4 but thats ok ill live with it. Maybe in the future i can direct some questions your way? Im not a mechanic but i can follow directions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Are there any mods for this machine? Other than filters and tires? Also one more question hehe, engine seems to be tapping a bit. I think this is a 4 valve so maybe the valve need looking after, or this could be normal for a suzuki engine. Ive heard some hondas and i didnt here this noise. The service manual shouldnt be a prob, maybe call US Post and check on a price? To New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (postal code is B2H-5C4)

Mark

Old 05-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

The noise is probably just the valves needing adjusting or the idle could be set a little low and the compression release is tapping. If you want the service manual I would sell it to you for $30 US and that includes shipping. I have one for the 02 models and it was allmost $50, but it includes all the 02 models. So I don't need the one for the 98 any longer.

Old 05-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good, ill look at your profile and see if you have an email there. Ill get in touch with you the first of the week. Or just private msg me your email.

Mark