Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Auto Cat gets hammered in magazine shootout....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2000, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my 4 wheel /ATV Action magazine.They had a shootout with the new Cat,the Polaris Magnum 500 and the Grizzly. They basically trashed the new Auto Cat.Too slow,no power,brakes suck etc...Ah well I still love mine.
Mike

Old 03-03-2000, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't seen that issue yet but on paper it looks like the cat could whip up on both of them.

Old 03-04-2000, 02:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sad to say but the cat took a beating big time. ATV action obviously is not an AC fan. As for any who were wondering about that AC vx. Grizzly race, that question was answered quick. Just as I suspected, the Griz roasted the Cat. The Mag roasted it as well, though I was happy to see the Mag fall short of the Grizzly in the speed category. I figured the autocat would end up last in the shootout, but I did disagree with a few things about it. The brakes are first class, and I prefer them over either of the other two. I also thought the ride was much better than the Grizzly, and the semi independant suspension is much more stable than the other two's traditional swing axle. They barely even commented on this, and I find it to be one of the things I like best about my 99 500. As far as a shootout goes, I would expect the cat to finish in the rear, but I don't regret getting mine. I drove both the griz and mag before settling on the cat, and I still preferred it. It wasn't as fast, but was still faster than most. It felt tons more stable. The Polaris wouldn't stay running without some throttle even 5 mins. after it had warmed up, seemed like it would tear up in less than 2 years, and made a horrible screeching sound from the belt. It was also the first Mag500 in the area at the time and brand spanking new. Already, the black plastic was beginning to get sun bleached. The Griz turned awesome and you could tell it was fast, but it didn't ride anywhere close to the Sportsman 335 I rode the same day. The fenders looked as if they would snag and tear easily, the bumper was weak despite its mean looking appeal, and the racks were not well supported and looked like they would bend if your fat *** neighbor happened to sit on the side of the front rack while shooting the breeze with you.

The Cat was solid, and stable, much like a honda, and the features that were important to me were there more so with the AC than the others. I still say that if the SP500 said Honda on it, I would get it.

Old 03-04-2000, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer

Having just owned a Grizzly I new that the Cat would be slower. The Grizz has tons of power. What wouldn't with 600cc's. I was surprised that the Cat lost to both machines in a drag race pulling 800 pounds.I was even more surprised that the Polaris beat the Grizzly in that same race. I always ignore the magazine writers when it comes to brakes. These guys have never liked the single lever brakes on Polaris or AC. Forget the fact that the Grizzlies rear drum and cables fill up with mud everytime I took mine out. ATV's are like women. Some are funner to ride,some put out more (power),some are uglier than others.Some even have bigger tires.You play the field until you find one that makes you most happy and live happily ever after.

Old 03-04-2000, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,I really enjoyed your accessment on differant quads.Especilly when comparing them to women. [lol]Man,I gotta give you this one,you called it like it is.Happy trailing====BILL

Old 03-05-2000, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

Isn't it kind of funny that both Dirt Wheels and
4-Wheel/ATV Action usually have the same opinion about everything? (The rice-burners RULE...American quads suck!) Not really considering that both of the mags are owned by Hi-Torque publications and I have seen stock photos bounce back and forth between the mags no more than a month or so apart. I have nothing against these mags, I do think they have some good info, but the only way a person can truly decide on which quad they want is to do their own "shoot-out".
Not to advertise for another mag, but I have
found that ATV Magazine (sister to ATV Sport)seems
to be much more utility oriented and fair when comparing sport-utes like the Magnum, Auto-cat and Grizz. (Of course someone else will say I like the mag because they really liked the AC in terms of a true utility quad!)Anyway, it only comes out quarterly and it is hard to find in my
area. I bought a subscription and eagerly await each issue....I basically quit buying the other two mags because I am not a California Sport ATV rider and it seems that they gravitate more to that type of coverage. Each to their own!
You might get where you're going faster on a Grizz or a Magnum, but I'll get there in one piece, my butt won't be nearly as sore as yours, and I probably won't have any work to do on my quad, other than wash the mud off, when I get home! That's enough of a shoot-out for me!!

Old 03-08-2000, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I decided some time ago to quit defending my purchase of What Kind of Quad I ride. Mainly , My Quad suits MY needs, and the Testers in the magazine may NEVER do what I do with my quad. I used to have a bit of faith in the shootouts, but that disappeared years ago. Many of the testers , like other Normal Riders, have their favorites.
In Closing, If your AC provides you with as much fun and usefulness as My Polaris provides me, then You will undoubtedly be leading a happy trail riding life years from now, with no regards as to what the Article says.
Happy trails!

Old 03-08-2000, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

That was very well said Ron I could'nt have said it better. If you like your quad than thats all that counts.I dont personaly like hondas but Iwould rather ride with one than ride alone.
superduty1 98SP500

Old 03-08-2000, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

WHAT!!!...An unbiased Polaris Owner? I thought they were extinct! Just kidding!! Well said Ron70! ANY quad is better than NO quad!

Old 03-09-2000, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

hey there are afew of us out there..ha
I read an Aricle in old 4x4 magazine, YEARS ago, along the ford versus chevy thing, and You know in the article, A gentleman was bad mouthing one make, while praising the other, UNTIL HIS make, got stuck, and the other was called to extract him. SO following that philosophy, If Im stuck or broke, I dont care what they ride, if its smaller, bigger, faster or slower, just glad they are there to lend a hand. I've been pulled out of some pretty bad areas by many other makes, and Also been the puller of different models. Good Comraderie Rules (did I spell that Right?)
of course, I wont tell you about all the TEASING I substain before they actually hook a Rope to me! Ha!

Quick Reply: Auto Cat gets hammered in magazine shootout....