Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Safety!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 02:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About two or three times a week there will be an article similar to this one in our newspaper. Everyone needs to be safe and us common sence (sp?) while riding. This just gives anti-atv and enviromentalists fules to use against atvs and ways to ban atvs! This is from the Charleston Daily Mail:

From staff reports
Friday May 24, 2002; 10:30 AM

Woman dies after four-wheeler crash
NAOMA -- A Raleigh County woman was killed when she was thrown from the back of a four-wheeler and her legs were run over by a passing vehicle, police said.

The woman, in her mid-30s, was the passenger on a four-wheeler that crossed the centerline on W.Va. 3 near Naoma about 10 p.m. Thursday, said Raleigh County Sheriff's Deputy T.L. McNeish.

The vehicle apparently rolled twice, and both the driver and the passenger were thrown, McNeish said.

The woman landed in the center of W.Va. 3 with her legs across the centerline. An eastbound pickup truck swerved to avoid the crashed four-wheeler lying in the road, but hit the woman's legs, she said.

"Witnesses said he did everything to avoid hitting her," McNeish said.

The identities of the woman and the driver, a Raleigh County man in his 40s, are not being released until their relatives are notified of the accident, she said.

The woman was going to be flown to Charleston Area Medical Center, but she died in the back of the ambulance, McNeish said.

The man, whose condition was not available this morning, was taken to CAMC, she said.

Old 05-25-2002, 02:44 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

It's sad that someone lost their life doing something that’s supposed to be fun and family oriented. I know around here at least one or two people are killed riding each year. Just recently a little boy was killed riding on the lawn (no helmet).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] As a group we need to police ourselves not only safety wise but any kind of reckless behavior, a few reckless people can do a lot of PR damage.

Old 05-26-2002, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

That is very unfortunate to have happened, but i also think that accidents can happen to anyone doing anything anywhere and it is not specific to atvs. I do not think a few accidents makes any need for anyone to want to ban them. that is foolishness. More accidents probably occur from people falling down esclators in malls each year than people getting hurt on atvs.. my point is that those environmentalists have no right to start using unfortunate accidents involving atvs as fuel for their quest to rid the world of atvs.

Old 05-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

What get me is they compain about ATV's ..but when you drive through the woods every where they are clear cutting and useing skidders to haul the wood...look like a bomb exploded..and they don't seem to complain about that

Old 05-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

exactly!