Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500 i FRONT SHOCKS RECALL ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Hello everybody, just want to know if somebody have the same problems of mines. All 4 shocks setting rings, aren't able to work, my 500i stay to the dealer because when they tried to move the adjustment forward or backward, they broke the rings of the front shocks. Those are easier to adjust compare to the back! So imagine if you try to adjust it with the tool give from AC??? Absoloutly impossible! Also the 4 front ball joints are replace, they remove 2 front shocks with the coil spring from a brand new 500i, to install it on mine,( because the shocks send by AC doesn't fit??? ) AC said to the dealer to replace with 2001 models ??? But the travel on those are not the same compare to the i models!! So I still have the problem. Also he note a bad travel in the handlebars, So for now they don't know how to fix those problems, that's bugs me a lot. So if someone can help, thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2002, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like to me you need to find a dealer that knows WTF they are doing.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Its a known problem with the i models. Don't try to adjust your shocks on the i models. The metal is to soft on the shock adjusters. Just another little annoyance with the i models.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

To adjust shocks on 'i' models try this: Remove the shock from the machine, compress the spring (2 screwdrivers should work, through the spring and press towards the floor), then remove the upper collar, releasing the spring. Set the preload as needed, then replace the spring by reversing the above procedure. Although I personally havent done this on my 500i (no need to, yet) I believe that this will work (used to do it on my dirt bikes). I will adjust my front shocks for the winter, so I can compensate for the weight of the Moose plow. I called my dealer this morning to schedule an appointment for the ball joint recall, but he hasnt received the replacement parts yet. He's expecting them this week. I'm number 6 at my dealer.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Delta, on mine they replace the 4 ball joints, ( only the interior, the pin)not the cushion and the all cap????That is the replacement of Arctic Cat cie, also the dealer change my 2 fronts springs with the shocks,(they take them on other machine, because AC send shocks for the 500a model, also the bushing of the handlebar, and that big overweight atv continue to rattle, and shake as well from the front end!!!! And you know the awnser my dealer receive this morning from AC ? From a engeneer ''Well we receive a lot of complains about that problem from 500i owners, and we think MAYBE the solution is to replace with the 2003 shocks''!!!!MAYBE he said, and the 2003 models are in production only in a month from now! So imagine when the dealer here in Quebec
should receive those parts!!!! And I'm not talking about those wheels nuts, whose always loose!!!
I'm telling you Delta, I'm very dissapoint about that machine about recalls, and the way that AC work for us ( custumers ), if that will be to begin, my choise goes for another brand....oups! forgot to say 175 miles on it!!!!

Old 06-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

There is always a lemon or two in every batch. I guess you got one. You knew the risks of buying the first model year of a new ATV, everyone knows the risks. Arctic Cat is not the only manufacturer to have problems, Polaris's 700 SP is having lots of problems, the Yamaha Grizzly is having problems, etc. Your lucky this is a recall and not something they might fix. Be grateful Arctic Cat is fixing these problems, FREE OF CHARGE. Go buy a Grizzly and see if they will recall your Grizzly because your fuel is boiling.

I guess you could always buy a Honda? You could have drum brakes, 8" of ground clearance, 6" of shock travel, a rock hard ride, low power output, etc, etc, etc. Oh and the huge price tag for dated technology too, almost forgot that one.

You can either look at this an a good thing or a bad thing. The choice is up to you. Personally I like it when the manufacturer gives FREE maintenance(recall).