Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Honda vs Arctic Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Honda. The cat is better in super rough terrain at very slow speeds or a in super deep mud at slow speeds. For 90% of my riding (woods), the Cat's I ride with can't keep up at all because the center of gravity is higher and it wants to tip on turns if the terrain is not smooth and level especially. Polaris have the same problem and they are hard to control with body english as they are so damn heavy anf high CG. Also, no nagging little problems on the Honda. Lot of little things breaking occasionally on the Cats.

Old 08-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing breaking here... I doubt AC breaks any more than Honda if as much.

Old 08-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to admit it but Arctic Cat's build quality is not up to par of Honda's build quality, electronically. Mechanically I would say they are a little stronger because they need to be, the weight! Honda can get away with less because they don't weigh anything.

Lots of little problems. My starter has had problems, my lights on my dash are always screwed up. My friends whole electrical system is screwed up, works, doesn't work. My other friend has a starter problem too. These are all 2002 models, I just don't think Arctic Cat makes an electrical sound quad but the good thing is electronics are not needed to make her run, so it will always work!

Old 08-13-2002, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

bbertram ..Dude!!

Hey I just looked at your july pics ..................hmmmmm me thinks I know why you have electrical problems.Your problem is that you perhaps were misled by your dealer!!!
See he sold you an ATV ...not a PWC! Seriously dude try spraying things down with a commercial water dispersing contact cleaner. NO! WD-40 will not do the same ..

Cool pics man keep it up

Old 08-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

<< And why does honda put a plug on the outside of the drums???? So you can drain out the water. Each wheel has a plug. >>

they're there to allow you to adjust the front brakes, they have 2 pistons on each wheel, i usually pull of the drum to adjust, i just find it easier to do this rather than look through the little hole.

<< more power >>

ha! a 450 honda has way more power than the cat, no offense but my brothers 450 powered by a 500i on a hill. they say that the 500 cat is sadley underpowered in the MAG, and the i has the same motor, but it's getting updated for '03, so then it'll have more power

Old 08-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Come to think of it, I had a guy on a mountain bike power past my 500i on a hill. I was sitting by the trail, enjoying a cold one at the time.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Being an owner of a 450 es i can say to stear clear of it.....It is a good 1980s technolgy machine except for the modern unreliable electronics.I have had trouble w/ the electronics.Stick with the basic 450s model or go down to the 400if you must by a Honda.I have had honda products and continue to purchase some of them and i can honestly say the competition has surpassed them in many ways.The quality of the honda products has also slipped a bit of the years .I also own a cat 300 4by4 and have been very happy with it.I took a look at the new 400i cat and other than questionable mud protection ,,,it appears to be far superior to the 450 honda models.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

boy have you got some things to learn. who says old technology isn't good? that just means it's proven (if it's still around it must be good) the 450 is the best foot shift big bore. 400 cat? give me a break, the 500 couldn't even beat it, the 400 has even less power, and the same weight. i'm not knock'in AC here, just stating the facts. when the '03 500i comes out with the motor improvements, i might have to look into one! the 450's motor is placed sideways, which means less power is lost in the driveline.

mrmom103ny-you just mentioned troubles with the ES, which i agree is crap, but don't judge the entire bike just because of that. the 450 is a better bike than the current 500. i'd like you to tell me what manuel shift quad is better than the 450? (in '02)

Old 08-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

What manual shift quad is better than a Honda 450. Let me see, would you like a list? hehe Just joking, the 450 is a good bike but it rides like the shocks are made of stone and the ground clearance is dismal. If those two things were improved to the point of Arctic Cat's quad then I can call it the best manual shift quad, but then the price would sky rocket even higher than it is.

Here is my list:

Suzuki's Vinson 500, '03 comes in manual now (much more power than the 450 and it weights about the same)
Arctic Cat's 500i, (the 03 model has tons of power but it weights more. Ground Clearance is awesome and its a sweet ride!)
Bombardier's Traxter 500, (great power, good ride and self locking front diff)
Oh and Honda's 450, (crappy ride, good power, no ground clearance, its light weight)

The 450 is not the cream de la cream of quads. Its just an average machine with a little of everything. Other quads try to do it all but fall short in other areas. For example, the cat has great ground clearance but the power is lacking('02 models) and it weights alot. The traxter is powerful, weights alot too but it has a self locking diff. The Suzuki has very nice power, good ride and its light too.

Honda just needs to step up to the plate and make a quad thats on par with the rest of the industry and then compare reliability when they have a quad with 12&quot; of ground clearance, self locking diff, smooth as silk ride. I bet the Honda would fall apart if it would have these things, or atleast fall apart as much as other quads do. Honda does not even try to engineer a great quad just an OK quad.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

you named one quad, traxter, that is better than the 450 in '02 (like i said) the traxter isn't better, trust me. the XT might be, but the standard traxter is awkward on the trail (so is the XT) bombardier dosen't even advertise it as a sport ute. their ads all show it towing stuff like a tractor. the quest might be better though.

<< Honda just needs to step up to the plate and make a quad thats on par with the rest of the industry and then compare reliability when they have a quad with 12&quot; of ground clearance, self locking diff, smooth as silk ride. I bet the Honda would fall apart if it would have these things, or atleast fall apart as much as other quads do. Honda does not even try to engineer a great quad just an OK quad. >>

i think the Rincon fills that bill, and from what i've heard from people that have driven/own one they love the power and suspension. it races p650's in a 100 yards.

for '03 the AC 500i will be way better, it would be one i'd consider buying in the future. (are they tippy in the corners?? 10&quot; of travel is a lot!!)

<< the 450 is a good bike but it rides like the shocks are made of stone and the ground clearance is dismal >>

are your bones getting old or what? lol the ride is pretty good for a straight axel quad.

Quick Reply: Honda vs Arctic Cat