Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Polaris vs Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maddog,
The first machine I ever put through it's paces was an 00 rancher 350. I was very pleased with the performance and was able to keep up with my brothers sp500 except above 40mph, the push button bothered my arthritis in my left thumb, and due to the lack of suspension I could not keep up in the rocky - rough stuff. All around good machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

TG1,
I am just trying to get as much info from as wide a spectrum as possible. This weekend I get to try a 99 cat 400 that a buddy is willing to let me borrow. He is a hard core cat rider. he has used and abused both of his. He also has an 00 500. The 400 has had very little work (besides routine) and the 500 has had considerble work. Because of his extremly aggressive riding style, things break and he understands that. He has told me that both never went through an easy break in and have been wide open all the time. I will let you know what I think of the machine next week.

Thanks again and keep all comments comming>[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

look at my singnture , 1 cat , 1 polaris sp , cats rule in my book , I payed for both no need to lie , cat is the best to me , o and as for as polaris 4wd being better ,yea right if it works!!! ,my cat works ever time when i want it to ,up hill or down hill ,not when it wants to ,never buy another one till they stop using there presant 4wd system , noff said ,

Old 09-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Wanabe

I own both, and can tell you:

Sportsman = Much better ergonomics (you dont feel like your sitting on top of the handle bars), power(SP is a 500HO, AC is a 400), speed, and a softer ride.

Arctic Cat = Better downhill stability in 4wd, better ground clearance, much lower geared for pulling, climbing power, suspension travel allows for bigger bumps but is stiffer than SP.

Bottom line is if you want a little sport in your ride, don’t buy the Cat, it's slow to accelerate, but will top out decent for trail riding. Also the Sportsman is a lot less "tippy" feeling in the turns so you feel much more stable in the turns.

Only problem I have now is having to fight my wife for the Sportsman when we ride wide open trails and the Cat when we go rock climbing...........go figure.

Ken

Old 09-16-2002, 09:14 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I would say go for the Polaris. The power combined with the far superior 4X4 system makes it a more capable machine. They are the #2 selling ATV in the world for good reasons.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for all the input. I borrowed a freinds 99 AC400 and was totaly impressed. You guys are right on the slower accelaration but the buch I would be doing most of my ridin with, all ride Polaris 500's and I had no problem keeping up on the trail. They did run away on some of the roads, but they did not go to far with out waiting. I only had two problems will on the 30 mile run we made. 1 rider inexsperience. I did not know the machine and had trouble shifting the manual. Even though I only got stuck once and that was my fault. I stopped were I should not have and burried it. 2 The machine over heated. The radiater was packed full of mud. After dropping the machine off at the owners, all he said was it did not have enough mud on it. He is going to tear the front off and pull the radiater to make sure all the mud is out. My brother burried his Polaris 500 and I had the oppertunity to give him a tug. Never spun the tires and he was hung up on a log. The other Polaris 500 never had any trouble. He has a bad back and can always seem to find that right speed for the sittuation. Over all I think they were equall. Yes the Sportsman has more speed, but the cat seemed to have more power on the low side were it counts. I went today to the local cat dealer and he priced out a 03 400i auto with a winch at about 5500. Give or take some for how much down and intrest rate, tax etc depending on what I qualified for. Is that a deacent price? I will not be able to do anythinf untill tax time so this price may bounce alittle. I have always had to be diffrent. You now drove a ford when everyone else drove chevy's. Well I think I will do the same hear cuz if a brand new one rides as good as the 99 with ACT suspension ( it should it independent ) I will not be unsatisfied. The Cats do have less maintenece but after everything that I have read It boils down to 1- rider style, 2-How often maintenece is done and if it's done correctly, 3-How many or how much modifications have been done. 4-Then comes Manufacture problems. Yes I do understand everyone will get a lemon now and then but this is my opinion. Thanks again and please keep your input coming.

Sorry for the book

Old 09-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I paid 5175.00 before tax for my '03 400 Auto/Independent. I took advantage of the special finance program for 0/0/0 six months with a warn 2500 for 69.00. Great deal. Figured I could pay off or refinance before 4/03, but the Sheffied Bank offered a 9.25 interest rate which isnt bad for a Rec. Vehicle. Good luck.

Ken

Old 09-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to butt in here guys, are you sure of your AC specs? I looked at cats last weekend and the dealer stated there was no IRS 400 with automatic transmission. The 400i is IRS, only available in manual transmission. I was also told only the 500i is available as an automatic.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yep.......got one in the garage with the new lime green plastic. Check out their web page for all the details. Good luck.

Ken

Old 09-18-2002, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Ken, appears I was given 2002 information. Guess I find another dealer as they certainly were not the most helpful people.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

You are correct 2002 was only the 500 and I believe the Lime green is only on the 400 for 03. atleast this is what I saw on thier site.

Quick Reply: Polaris vs Cat