Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Polaris vs Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got the '02 info, the 500i's came in a manual or auto. They dropped the solid axle for '03 and only the 500 auto gets the lime green, the manual doesn't.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

According to the cat web site, both the 400 & 500 get the lime green. auto's only. Sorry my previously was inccorect

Old 09-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

This won't help anyone make a decision between AC and Polaris, but when I got my cat and went to the ASI Safety Training course, the instructor had a Sportsman 500 with mudding tires on it. When he saw me and my brother's cat's he started picking on us (good naturedly of course) and despite the fact that two other cat owners showed up for the class (we represented half the riders) he kept delivering verbal jabs my way.

At one point, one of the other riders said to me "Why do you put up with that?" I said "Because I know it's ATV envy." The instructor heard me and said "What was that?" I replied, "ATV envy. Every one knows that every Polaris owner wishes they'd have bought an Arctic Cat!"

While everyone was laughing at this the instructor muttered "Your probably right!"

He did comment on how he had to replace parts with some frequency, but he was also the type who rode it hard.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

Pech,
My buddy rides both of his cat's hard and has replaced stuff (bent frame, a arm, 1 axle shaft, etc) but he understands when you ride like that something is going to break and it sounds like your instructor understood this to. I borrowed his 400 this past weekend and only had two problems. Rider inexpierience and over heating. When I told him that, he just said ok. I guess I need to give it some TLC and take the radiater out and make sure all the mud is out. The last time he went out he burried it and just power washed it. It then sat for a month. I have read a lot of these post and have come up with this: If you want your ride to treat you right, you have to treat it to some TLC every now and then. No matter your riding style. The harder you ride the more often needed

Old 09-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Wanaberider, that was what I was trying to say. I ride mine pretty hard at times too, but have not had to replace anything (yet). But I'm also aware that's part of the game. The instructor certainly didn't think ill of his machine (which was a pretty sweet ride, actually), or the money he spent on it.

While I don't personally like Polaris machines (just not fond of their styling), I've no reason to knock them either. I do like the looks of that new Preditor.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I just think a solid axle quad is the best thing to buy if you treat your quad hard like I do. IRS does not stand up to abuse at all!

Old 09-19-2002, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Brent,
I took a look at some of your pics from May. Man that water looks cold.
Have you managed to get your cat fixed yet.
How much lift have you got?
It looks like a sweet ride.
I have to agree with you after talking to my buddy that let me borrow his cat. He is hard on them and when the 03 line up came out he was disappionted that the 500 was only IRS. He was looking to buy a lime green 500.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

seeing as you posted this question in the "CAT" forum you must be leaning in that direction....go with your gut.........so I can whoooop ya... LOL...just ask fango.... at least on hard pack-just F-N with ya!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer

Loco,
After riding both I am leaning toward the cat. I agree both machines are reasnably close till around 40 mph when the polaris top end kicks in. I like to go fast but when you are doing 30-35mph on a trail those trees just seem to be a blur. I am looking for an all around good machine and the cat seems to fit the catagory for what I would be using it for. My brother has a sp500 and the few times I have gone with him on a borrowed machine, the group seems to settle on around 40 for top speed

Old 09-20-2002, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

sounds like a good fit for you then...I am used to going warp speed through the woods on my modded xc 700 sled.... so 60 seems slow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris vs Cat