Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Polaris vs Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am lookin to buy a machine in Jan Feb time fram and have come down to either the Polaris or the Cat and wanted to know wich one is truly better. I understand that they all have thier faults, but I want to get all the information that I can before I buy something that I will have to live with for many years.

Also wich Cat do more prefer. Standard or Auto?

wanaberider

Old 09-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the ride of each quad are pretty much dead even. The Cat can handle a heavier load. The Polaris has more power. The Polaris has a much better 4x4 system. The Cat and Polaris quads have about the same reliability, maybe Polaris has the edge now. Cat is probably cheaper, I know they are cheaper where I live. If you need a manual tranny quad, then go for Cat sinse Polaris has not manual quad, except for their Expidition. If you go with an auto then I say try out Polaris, I think you will have more fun on a Polaris. I hate to recommend the Polaris over the Cat but after my experiences and my friends experiences I have to say Cat reliability and quality control is lacking.

So it goes like this:

Cat if you want to keep the stock tires, pull heavy loads, trail ride, limited mud riding.

Polaris is you want to go with aftermarket tires, pull heavy load(though not as much as the cat, and mud riding.

I would never buy a Polaris because I dogged them for the last 10 years as having junky quads so it would look bad if I bought one. I do like them really, but don't tell anyone else that.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

From a former Cat and Polaris owner I say Cat. I had Cats for the last 4 or 5 years with no major problems, the first one was the best quad I have ever had. Reliability is great on the Cats if you get a properly set up one, from a good dealer. The Polaris I had was a absolute piece of junk. It had problems from day one until I got rid of it. I will say that there are several people out there that say they have no problems out of their Polaris's. Notice I didn't say I know of any of them, I just hear them talking. I ended up on a Cat because I could not get any other dealer to take it on trade in, they all said we don't take Polaris on trade. This may be a regional thing but that is the way it is around here. That is why they have so many repeat buyers lol. The Cat auto if far more reliable than the Polaris, and the belt lasts a lot longer but costs more. I really believe all the manufacturers are making good reliable quads now days. You should just ride all that interest you and pick which one you like the best, even if it is a Polaris. Afterall you are the one that has to ride and pay for it. Myself I would not get the Polaris I have seen too many of them have problems to seriously consider them for a while. But don't be afraid of the Cat they are good quads, in my book anyway.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info guys,
I just found out that a buddy I was good friends with in school has two cats. I am hopefully going out on the 15 with my brother who has a 02 Sportsman 500. My buddy is going to let me borrow his 99 400. He has a 500, but it needs a card and a piston. Got something in and destroyedthem after leaving the positive crank flow tube off.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello fellow Mainer (wanaberider)!
I've only owned 2 atv's and both have been Cat, I can't really speak for Polaris though I do have a few friends who own Sportsman 500s and they've had good luck other than one acting a bit weird in 4WD but that was a while ago and it hasn't bothered lately, of course both of them haven't ridden nearly as much as I have either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The other thing I should mention is both of mine have been manuals, I have nothing against Auto's but since I like shifting and I know the manuals are supper tough I went with another manual when I bought my 500i.

To sum up what I'm trying to say is if you go with a Cat I think you'll be quite happy with your decision.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

here's an idea. Go to all the manufacturers forums in here and look at which ones have most of the posts talking about problems and broken quads then consider if that brand is less reliable.

Old 09-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I just traded a Polaris Scrambler in on my AC 500i. I have owned 3 polaris quads and all have been reliable, just got the AC so I can't comment on the reliability yet.

What I can tell you is that if you ever get water in the belt housing on the Polaris or probably any other auto, your not going anywhere until it dries out. The other advantage to a manual is when your crawling over any rough terrain you have much better control of your speed. Auto's are supposed to be better in the mud because you don't have to shift to get the wheels spinning, but if you get water in there your stuck.

I bought the AC because I wanted manual for my work/hunting quad, and I have no regrets so far. I also like the tranny setup on the AC auto better than the Polaris, but the Polaris is definately going to be faster.

Old 09-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 AC 500A. I was never interested in the belt auto's, but ran up on a deal. I figured when the wife and I and kids ride she could drive the auto (can't stand her driving a manual, almost never in the right gear) and I could drive the manual. She has driven it, but I ride it all the time. Usually, she, the kids and I all ride together. I know, I know, were just easing around though, maybe we won't get hurt. Back on subject, so far no trouble from the 500A, I just recently ran the belt snorkle up high in front of the steering column. Never got it wet before but was careful not to go to deep. Sorry so long, good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2002, 09:30 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

wanaberider
Glad to see you over here too, Polaris ATVs are good machines (especially for mudding) but the Cats are just as capable on the trail (IMO). You will not only have a choice of auto or manual, but IRS or ACT (400s only for 03 unless you buy a left over). The best thing to do is to test ride a bunch of machines and see which makes you smile the most.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my parents bought 2 new polaris quads in 98. an express 300 stroke and a sportsman 500. they have been great except for one thing, the transmissions. while they have not fallen apart, they seriously drown any attempt to get the power out of the engine. i know the powerplants are good, but i cant get to them. from what i understand, the older sportsmans had some problems with the 4wd switches but it has been fixed. (ours did anyway and we were told it was common)

my uncle in wyoming has done nothing but rant and rave about the abilities of the cats since they came out so they have a good rep as far as i can see.

based on this annoying reality, my suggestion would be a manual cat.

ps i have a 01 rancher 350 es and the push button tranny is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!! IMO of course

Quick Reply: Polaris vs Cat