Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 300 4X4 clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the quad on Sat 9/7 and it is awsome. However, I have a little clicking noise comming from the right rear when I am moving. I jacked the back up so that the tires are off the floor and manually rotated the tires and I could not hear anything. I am probably going to ride it for the 10 hrs for the break-in period and when I go to get the oil and stuff, I will pick the dealers brain. Figured I would put out a feeler here. I will probably get a faster reply.

Also, I installed the winch myself. It is working, however when I push the "in" button to bring the cable in, it goes out. And when I push the "out" it recoils in. Unless I am understanding the terms in and out wrong. Is it better to reverse the connections at the winch itself or at the solenoid??.

Thanks for the help...

Old 09-09-2002, 09:08 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

It's hard not hearing the clicking but I'd take the machine back to the dealer and have the CV joints checked. As for the winch question, I have no idea [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Hope you have fun with the 03 300, my old 250 4x4 was an animal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Sorry I couldn't be more help... Keep us informed.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I installed the winch myself too, and had the exact same results. I switched the cables at the winch, mainly because it was easier to get too. I don't think it makes much difference at which end you switch them. I wonder if there is a mistake in the instructions or in the color coding since I followed the instructions carefully and we both ended up with the winch going the wrong way. I was impressed with the quality of the winch although I haven't used it under load yet.

Also, I have a slight clicking sound coming from somewhere, only noticeable when coasting, or going downhill. I haven't really investigated it yet since it doesn't sound like anything serious.

Bob

Old 09-10-2002, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

Don't feel bad, my new Cat had the Warn 2500 winch installed by the dealer and it was backwards. I guess it was an apprentice who put it on and doesn't know the diff between in and out. Make sure you stretch the cable out on the winch, before you put it under heavy load. Just pull the quad in on it a few times. I seem to remember I had a little clicking in the frt of my quad, but all is good now.

Old 09-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

BYBob
Some of us had a clicking noise coming from the axle shafts slightly touching the inside of the wheel hub. Just took a file and touched up the end of the axle slightly and the clicking noise from all four wheels quit. This might be your problem

Old 09-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

Flash 2, I know I followed the instructiopns to the tee. I think the color coding on the wires to the solenoid are wrong. It had a blue 2 label on it and it said to hook it up to the green terminal on the solenoid..Go figure[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I am going to change it tonight when I get out of work.

BJBlomert
I am also going to look at that tonight. The noise does not seem to be comming from the tranny and does not seem like something major. I think you are correct. I can see a little wear on the boot covers so I will try that.
I am also going to jack the rear end up so the tires are off the ground and have someone give it a little gas to see where the noise is comming from
Thanks Guy's (or gals). Let you know later on tonight how I make out.

Old 09-10-2002, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

guys the book is wrong about the wiring ,when i did mine it was backwards to , i called my dealer cause by the book it was right , he told me it was wrong and to swich the wires at the winch or the solenoid switch , i did the switch ,but either will work , you can file the ends or i put some grease on the axle ends ,sound went away then ,

Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Changed the winch connections at the winch. Works like a charm. I did not go any further with the noise. I did not have the time to file or grease anything. From what I understand,and you guy's have been helpful, unclip the boots and move them aside and lube up what is insive them then place the boot back over?? (Sorry guy's sort-a new to this stuff. I can fix a copy machine but can't fix a quad go figure[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 09-11-2002, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

no no .dont remove the boot , its the axle end where the wheel is mounted ,remove the wheel , look where the axle nut is ,and either grease or file the end , the end is rubbing the wheel center , you will find a small circle rubbed in the middle of the back of the wheel , dont touch the cv boots ok , thats not the problem it's where the axle is rubbing the back of the wheel ,

Old 09-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the clarification. I am glad I asked for it. I do not want to touch anything I do not have to. I will try that and see what happens. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 03 300 4X4 clicking noise