Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help!! Transmission trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 01:43 AM
JXP
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have not posted for a while and have been out of circulation. I have a big problem with my 2000 500 auto cat.
My transmission is making a "barking" noise. It "chirps" and makes all kinds of bad sounds. The noise is not in the case bearings. I am about to pull the motor and disassemble the trans. Has anyone had any experience with this problem or any thing like this. Also has any one pulled there motor? I am almost finished unbolting everything and about to pull it. How is the best way to remove the motor. I am assuming left side but it looks like it will be tight. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am afraid I may be in over my head, but I can't afford the 600-700 dollars to have a dealer fix it.

Thanks,
Joe Phipps

Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

JXP,

Is it the belt chirping or barking? Or the tranny itself? If it is the belt then you best better hold off ripping into your machine!!

Follow this link old connection post

This might explain it a little. There are other posts on this issue. Try an advanced search using: chirp or bark. Leave the date and author open. Search under Arctic Cat.

I hope this helps!!

Old 10-05-2002, 02:11 AM
JXP
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, but that is not the sound I am hearing. I know the sound you are talking about very well. mine does it almost every time I hit the throttle hard from a dead stop with the 589s on. The sound I am hearing is definatly a metallic sound coming from inside the final drive. I need some info on what to do once I get in there.

Thanks again,
Joe Phipps

Old 10-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have trouble in a big way Joe!! Do you have a manual?

You should be able to remove the engine from the right side by moving it forward while raising it in the rear and rotating the engine counterclockwise. I think that is the only way the sucker will come out.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help!! Transmission trouble.

How's your tranny coming, JXP?

Old 10-13-2002, 12:51 AM
JXP
Weekend Warrior

Got the Motor out. Side casing off. Intermediate shaft has a lot of play in it. I don't have a manual so I decided to take it to the dealer. Talked to them today. Good news. Its just the bearing on the opposite side of the shaft. In other words the one on the Left side of the engine. They have ordered the bearing and are Talking to Artic cat about some help with the costs. I guess the result of that conversation will decide if my next ATV is an Artic Cat or something else. As bad as I hate to say it, this problem has left a bad taste in my mouth for AC. That new 650 Honda is looking very nice at this point. JXP

Old 10-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

How much are they going to soak you for the bearing work?

Old 10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
JXP
Weekend Warrior

Well, $265.00 later just for labor. (I found the bearing aftermarket and took it to them) the cat is on its way back to life. No help from artic car on the costs either btw. Even the dealer admitted that the bearing had to be bad from the factory. This little problem cost AC the sale of a new 500i. Sorry guys but just picked up a new Polaris 700 Sat. The cat is going to the wife so I will still be around but this did not set well with me. Thanks for all your info and support.

Old 10-23-2002, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider

JXP,

I'm sorry to hear that AC did not stand behind you on this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] In cases like this the manufacturers need to step up and take responsibility for their products. But this isn't the first time and it is not just AC, it is all the Makes.

I do wish you well with you new SP 700, though!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]