Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help neeed input :

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2000, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy all,

Ihave an 98 Arctic Cat 454 4x4, Some of the minor little problems I have encountered are; 1. I've rippped holes in two CV Boots and would like some Recommondations as to what brand of stick stopper everyone else is using. #2.My rear manual brake cable frooze-up from getting in water, and the dealer told me to remove the hole manual brake assembly,which I have, done and cured that problem. The dealer said that the cables are expensive and that they would do it again in a couple of months. #3 I'm thinking about putting a lift on, But I don't know what kind is best. Also want to know if everything functions properly after it is installed.
Thanks Fellow AC owners.

Old 03-30-2000, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

For CV protectors i made some out of a old road sign, i just cut out a pattern and then traced it onto the road sign, they work great..
As for the brakes, im not sure on yours but on my 2000 500 the manual are just a last resort so In my opnion take them off.
On behalf if the life I recomend a High Lifter one, I spent over an hour on the phone with Dan (sales manger) on just picking out a set if tires, he answered all questions that I had. I know they are a little more expensive but if you give them a call they will help you out. On problems??? Just like a lift kit on a truck it must be designed properly, if the angles or off bye bye CV joints.
While taliking to Dan he said teh ArcticCat changed the angles on the front of the 2000 models and he was afraid that the old lift would fit and work but i might put too much strian on the components....How many other places would have told you that???
call HL and talk to them they will help you and answer any questions you will have.

Chuck
2000 500 4x4, Warn 2500, and soon to be bugged and possibly lifted and a HL power kit(when it comes in)

Old 03-30-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

TheRetreaver:
I can't help you on the other questions, but as far as the stick stoppers go, I've got a set from Cycle Country on my '00 500 Auto Cat. They seem to work pretty well. The only disadvantage I can see so far is the price. I think the suggested retail is around $49 or so. I got them for half price with the machine, so that helped. I liked BigCatDriver's home made guards. They should work every bit as good, and are probably lighter in weight as well. The best thing about his is the price-whatever he decides to charge for his time! If it were me, a nice cold beer, and a little time in the shop, and presto! New boot guards. Whichever way you go, the cost of the boot guards will pay for themselves many times over, by preventing you from replacing cv joints all the time.

Good Luck!

Mike

Old 03-30-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Chuck:
I'm interested in knowing how you like your bugs (when you get them). Though the stock Titan 489's are supposed to be decent tires, I'm a little leary of the 2ply rating, and would like something a little more stout, if you know what I mean. I'm also curious as to how much power is noticeably lost in going to the larger 26-27" sizes. I think the 26's will fit stock, but do the 27's require the lift? I've heard several people saying that with the lift on, they started blowing cv joints, and were forced to take the lift off again.

Anyhow, let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Mike.

Old 03-30-2000, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

Mike
I hope to get them either tomm. (fri) or monday,,,I will post the measurments before, (top speed, ground clearance and anything eles i can mesure and then the results, The 489's would be a great all-around tire but due to my job I spend much of the day in mud and driving on the highway getting to and from (thats why I did not get the 'Vamps) The bugs are 6 ply and lighter than most 25" Ive had 6 flats on my 489 in the last week so i will be happy to get the thicker bugs.
I've dont see any problems in runnign the 27's with out a lift, I dont jump the quad, as a matter of fact if the going gets tough I drop it into first and then 4 low and crawl over anything that stands in the way, and besides if i do get stuck that why I have Mr. 2500 behind the front bumper :-)

Chuck
2000 500 4x4, Warn A2500 Soon to be bugged