Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2Up AC - where are you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003 | 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2Up AC - where are you?

Well they are finally here. I serviced one out last week and brought it home for the a demo. I live on 14 acres in the sandhills with a few steep hills and off camber climbs. It is very stable on steep uphill and off camber with either of us driving or riding. She is 5'0" 110 lbs. and I am 5'10" 230 lbs. I did notice that with me in the rear seat, she had to work quite a bit harder to make the machine turn when going slow. I also noticed that with her in the rear seat that it took more effort to turn the machine. An unlocking differential would cure this, but I would not hold my breath! My main concern was that it would be sprung so heavy that it would ride like a lumberwagon when riding solo. NOT SO!!! I was impressed! The only drawback is the longer wheelbase does not clear objects as well as the 8" shorter ATV wheelbase. (the same problem that a suburban has as compared to a CJ). It has about the same sharp hill / object clearing capabilities as the 250 & 300 machines. My wife said that she would still rather drive her own machine. She likes to be in control. Wait a minute don't all women like to THINK they are in control!

Old 04-17-2003 | 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have new 2up AC like it alot. Rides real good with 2 people. dealer had 4 of them 6800.00with 69.00 winch in the deal. 12" clearence 8" longer

Old 04-17-2003 | 09:21 PM
Range Rover

Peddler, how steep were your hills? I live in the mountains and am always going up steep rocky hills. Have you tried going over any logs? How does it handle them? With the longer wheel base I would think that going over a log you would ALWAYS have a couple of tires on the ground. I know that if my wife drove she would only THINK she was in control.

dogoncat, your dealer let you have the $69.00 winch deal. Wow, mine says they aren't offering it at all. But I can get it for $9900(Can). I luv the clearance too.

shmoky

Old 04-19-2003 | 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Miller Marine in St. Cloud has had one for several weeks now. I saw it at the snow show April 5th, and in their showroom since then. If you still haven't found one, call 'em up. Here's their number: Toll Free 1-800-337-1363

Old 04-20-2003 | 02:18 AM
|
Pro Rider

Ok then - We're hunt'n one up. Another credit card bites the dust...
Now I have to decide what to do with the Polaris 500HO... keep or sell,
I'll have to build another shed I guess.

Are there any specs available? Length. width, weight - Still a no-seeum on
the web site.

Old 04-20-2003 | 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

My hills are around 40 degrees. The only bad thing is they are only about a hunderd feet long, so I don't get a real good test. We will take some to Colorado this summer. There we will ride everything from old railroad grades that are 3% to old wagon roads that are 30%. We have had several people two up on the 500 manual and automatic in past years and do fine. In fact we had two guys show up with one 250 2wd in the back of the pickup and went everywhere we went with the 400's & 500's. We had to wait on them sometimes and the rider did get off and walk about a quarter mile, but all had fun.

Old 04-23-2003 | 02:15 AM
Trailblazer

hey whodatindamud i know two dealers with in 75 miles from you that have one sitting on their showroom. give me a call and i will let you know who to talk to. 651-270-3044

Old 04-23-2003 | 06:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

Crikeys! - I received 2 phone calls today report'n AC 2up sightings around the Metro. The Mrs. and I will be heading out at first light Saturday AM to see if we too can spot the elusive TPV cat with high hopes of bagging one of the critters to take back to camp. Were carry'n a lot of trade'n tender but hop'n to keeps enough in our pockets to make the trek out to the ATVAM convention to show off the new addition to our cat family.

G'day mates! And thanks for your help in spottin the critter!

Old 04-26-2003 | 12:17 AM
|
Pro Rider

Can you spell disappointed? I can.
What a wonderfully fabulous 1995 ATV!
How is AC going to compete with other manufactures putting out current technology with this thing? There is no rear rack area as the passenger seat now occupies that space - which to me seems a bit rearward balanced nearly over the axle and destined for up hill flip overs. No rear bumper, the automatic belt cover takes up a good part of the right floor board, and the handlebar controls are simular to that found on a cheap bicycle. That 1960's speedometer/information console is a fine piece of yesteryear technology also. The tires are neither aggressive or turf friendly - a poor compromise of small cleats in my mind. It seems many of the MRP components wont fit the front rackage due to engineering deviations from the standard platform. Is that a trailer hitch or a coat hook? I think I have parkas heavy enough to bend that!

The wife didn't like the passenger seat as it was taller then what she was comfortable with. Sitting six inches higher then me I think it could be much less lower to improve what seems to be a already top heavy setup. The rider foot rests were a good idea but the rear fenders will become scuffed badly soon enough as the riders legs will rub sand onto them constently.

Why is it that other companies are switching to digital back lighted information centers that record hours, service hours, warnings, and digital read outs? How does a company like AC ignore the many inovations in technology, construction and form that all of the other companies are swarming too?

I never thought I would say this - but I turned around and put the check back in my pocket. I guess I'll have to wait and see what Honda or Polaris have to offer going forward.

Old 04-27-2003 | 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

bombardier has a 2 up quad. I saw one at the dealer the other day. I think they offer them in 500's and 650's. Sean