Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat or Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat or Honda?

What would be better. A 2003 arctic cat 300 or a honda rancher. I would be using them for water crossing, mud running, snow, hunting, trapping, woods riding and everything in between, exept for rock climbing. I also want a quad that is reliable.

Old 12-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Flip a coin, take your pick.

The AC has IRS so it has an advantage in mud and snow. But it's also heavier (by 46lbs for the 4x4's, 37lbs for the 2x4's). The Cat has better ground clearance (due to the IRS) , greater rack capacity, and greater fuel capacity, but a slightly smaller engine (280cc's vs. 329cc's). AC doesn't list the MSRP on their site, but I bet it's less than the Honda. The AC (4x4 anyway) has Hi, Low, and super low gears (5 gears in each), the Honda only has the 5 standard gears.

Somewhat more subjectively, I am guessing the AC will have a softer ride, but the Honda will be quicker.

All in all, though, both are fine machines. Everyone talks of Honda's bulletproof reliability and you don't hear many complaints about the AC's either (I know I am more than impressed with mine).

Sit on them, take them for test rides, if you can.

Old 12-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree Pechmial. The Honda will be faster and fun to ride on the smoother trails. As soon as you get into the rougher stuff the Cat will excel, especially at lower speeds. I own a 300 Cat and have ridden a Honda Rancher briefly. Both are alot of fun. The HOnda won't give you many problems although some Honda owners have complained about the electronic shifter not working properly - especially when the circuitry gets wet but it appears to only affect some of the 350s.

If you are riding in serious mud you will have to replace the Dunlop tires that come on the Honda. The Cat I have came with ITP 489s which are far superior to the Dunlops.

I can also testify that the Cat gearing is fantastic - the 3 ranges in additional to the 5 manual gears gives you far more options than the Honda - especially in tough going or if you expect to do any work like towing with your quad.

The Cat's shifter is a heel toe combination is certainly unique and takes an hour or so to get used to. Once you use it for awile though it works great and supplies easy, positive shifts every time. The Cat also gives you selectable 2wd/4wd which is alot of fun on the trails and in the snow.

The Cat should also be less expensive than the Honda. The Cat is also build very solid but it handles like a lighter machine. I also ride a 500 Rubicon. Both the Cat and Rubicon have similar weights but the Cat is more agile and easier to handle (but the Honda has way more power).

Another consideration is the quality of your local dealer. Whoever will give you better service is just as important as buying the right quad.

Just my 2cents.

You will definitely enjoy your purchase - have fun shopping!

My Cat does have a vibration problem - its apparently easily fixable.

Old 12-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

talk to your dealer and find out the pros and cons they try to get the better one

Old 12-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

there both great rides but i think the rancher would ber alittle better unless you get the ac 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

The Ac 300 is a very good utility bike. The three transmission ranges give it lots of power for pulling or climbing. Disc brakes are great, and it is very stable. Disadvantages are instances of carburator problems, poor electrical setup, and lack of locking front diff. It also collects a lot of crud, particularly in the late fall when you are riding in frozen mud and snow. Mine froze into a complete block of ice once this fall, while the Honda was OK due to solid rear axle and more opening around the front CV boots. You really learn lots about your bike when the conditions are tough. The starter froze up also, a real disaster. The Honda on the trip did not have any electrical problems.
I have rode a 350 Rancher. It is very nimble on the trail, and much quicker than the AC. The torque sensitive front diff works well, I saw the wheel with the most traction get the power in an off camber situation. This will definitely not happen with the AC. But you can modify the linkage to the front diff to lock it, I will likely do that next summer.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Either one trapperjason...they are both very good machines. I have some pics of both in action if you check out my pic link.

The AC has a little smoother ride and as the others have said it is a little snappier. Ride both if you can and then decide. I would also consider the AC 400...little more power and options to consider (i.e. auto or manual.) Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]