Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Warn 2500 installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 2500 installation question

Not sure how they get the extra 500 pounds. Same motor (0.9 hp), same gear reduction (136:1), same gears (3-stage planetary), and same drum diameter (2.0"). So my guess is that it has always been there. Maybe they get the extra 500 the same way AC changes the 375 into a 400! (by stroke of the pen).

The only difference I see is the extra current draw required to pull 2500 pounds (188 Amps), which was never published on the A2000 spec sheet. So either Warn did not test at A2000 at 2500 pounds, or they did but did not publish the results, or they couldn't test at this load because they had some electrical component that could not handle or limited the additional current. Perhaps the latter is most likely, as I know they had a recall on the early A2000 kits with the "White" solenoid (caused some fires - don't know the details).

In any case, under full load, the motor will draw as much current as it can. Since Warn does not provide any fusing in their kits (from personal experience and by looking at their other kits offered) most likely the motor windings, the solenoid or switch contacts or the contactor contacts will act as the fuse (not an ideal situation) if the motor gets stuck or max'ed out. It is possible that the motor is internally protected (by resettable thermostat), but I can find no information on that either. Perhaps Warn just figures that the little ATV battery will give it up before anything too terrible can happen. I'm going to put a 200A fuse between the battery and the solenoid/contactor.

Maybe you can call Warn and have them explain just how it all works. They might give an interesting story.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

I called Warn just to ask about my simple wiring question, and got ATTITUDE already.

Maybe the guy was just having a bad day, but I wouldn't want to start a conversation about anything too technical with that guy....

Old 01-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

I'll stick with my Rule winch and sell the Warns ...Bill

Old 01-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

I went to home depot and bought some wire (as per the instructions on Warn's instruction manuel).

The wires are the same guage (#6) as the ones which came from Warn, but they are very "stiff".

Should I be concerned about it?

Old 01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Rotary,

You want to make sure that the wire is not solid. Make sure it has many individual strands in the cable. The larger the diameter of the wire (or strands within the wire), the stiffer it will be. The more smaller strands, the more flexible it will be.

Ususally the "home center" kinds wires are for home installations (that typically don't or are not expected to move or vibrate) and will be a single large solid conductor or a few twisted thick wires in a cable. It is my recommendation to stay away from this type of wire as the rigid strands will only flex at the termination points and will quickly break. You will have much better success going with marine grade stranded wire cable (West Marine has it) of same gauge. Boats are expected to get wet and to vibrate, just like your Cat.

I learned this years ago when installing an inverter in a boat I had. I laid down Romex (SOLID conductor, household type) for the AC line from the breaker panel to the inverter and ended up ripping it all out and replacing it with STRANDED wires. The stranded wire is more flexible, and therefore will flex and bend a lot more before breaking.

My $0.02.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the heads up Doc. I knew about the solid wire (these wires have multiple strands in them), but was concerned about the "stiffness" of the wires I bought. Now that I look at the end of the wire I see what you mean about the larger strands inside.

Do you have an address on West Marine?

Old 01-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

There is one in Oakland at I-880 and 23rd Street, and one out in Stockton off of I-5 on Fremont Street. Or go to www.westmarine.com for the store locator. I'm sure there are other stores around the Bay Area that carry marine-grade electrical parts - you might want to let your fingers to the walking.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

Doc, you save my hide yet again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thank you.

I just placed the order on line. $27 including shipping for all the wires I needed to complete my installation.

Before I make another mistake, should I buy a special "eyelet" electrical connectors for the ends of these wires, or would automotive grade ones be fine?

Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

The automotive ring lugs should be fine. Just make sure to make good crimps! Get some heat-shrink tubing (best with adhesive inside, from West Marine, or OSH) and put it over the crimp and at least 1" of the wire's insulation. This will stabilize and strengthen the wire/lug junction and help keep it clean.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

>i bought a warn 2500 from ebay, go to your ac dealer he will have the solenoid switch thats all you should need except some ends for your wire .you should have enough wire that come with the winch ,at least i did