Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow?

I have a 2003 400 ACT with a manual transmission. I was wondering if I could put a plow on it? Would it beat up my quad? Will it bend the frame? What size and type? Any suggestions and imput will help!

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Default Plow?

i,m not sure if arctic are still using the same frames for all there machines but there should be no reason why you wouldn,t be able to put a 60 inch plow on it you,ll be surprised how much it will push.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow?

You wouldn't have any problem mounting a 60" plow. There are a few different brands out there, CMP and Moose are two that come to mind. If you order one, be sure to get the proper mounting plate for your machine.

Plowing snow should have no ill effects on your machine. I have used mine to plow for 3 years now and it not only works great, it's a lot more fun then shoveling or blowing!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plow?

I have a 2002 AC 400i manual. I have plowed about a dozen times this winter with it. I got the AC plow and frame system. It works great! Easier to put on than other plow systems I looked at. Just two attachment points (plus the winch). I can put in on in under a minute - no kidding.

I've pushed piles up to 4 feet high with it, I loose traction before I run out of power.

I went with the 48" plow, just so I could have a bit more manuverability. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to push all the snow a 60 could get. Besides, my sidewalks are only 40" wide, so I tear up enough grass with the 48.

The only pain is shifting all the time from forward into reverse. Set the tranny to low. You may have to adjust your suspension too. It comes from the factory a bit soft for plowing.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow?

If you order a Arctic Cat plow do you have to still get those plates that "fangoElgato" was talking about?

Old 02-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow?

Mountainclimber,

Most plows are sold with the plow and push frame only. That's why I say don't forget to order the proper mounting plate for your machine. Just be sure to ask the question...

Where are you gonna buy it??? The dealer??? or online??

Old 02-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plow?

When you buy the kit from AC, you get everything you need. Two small mounting plates bolt onto your frame - they take about 2 minutes to install, and stay on permanently. You'll hardly notice them the rest of the year.

All you do is drive the quad over the a-frame for the plow, and hook the a-frame to the two mounting plates. Couldn't be easier. Takes under a minute, and holds the frame very soundly.

You only have to decide if you want to use a winch, one of those electric moters, or a manual lift to move the plow around. I use the winch and have had no problems. I got the winch with the quad anyway for $69.

The blade is made of a tough plastic that won't rust, and it's got a metal skid plate on the bottom. It's all I can do to move the plow around the garage when it isn't hooked up the the 'Cat. Thing weighs a ton.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow?

I was thinking about ordering the plow online. I was going to get it from www.planetarcticcat.com. Can somebody please take a look at the kits and tell me if thats all I need. They say that all I need is the plow and the push kit. Is that true? Will it still need to order that plate?

Old 02-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow?

I also have an '03 400 ACT Manual, I chose to equip it with a Warn Plow rather than an A/C Plow, The A/C Plow is for snow only use.
The Warn plow can do dirtwork and light grading, I added a weight box to increase down pressure for dirt work and it works great. If you plan on
doing dirt work get a 48". I plow with the tranny in L2 and have yet to be stopped, as someone else mentioned forward to reverse gear changes on a manual tranny
keep you busy. The Warn setup is $299 from Cabelas. If you have questions let me know.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow?

It looks like to me that if you buy a plow here that you will have to buy the mounting plate sold separately.

Personally, though, I prefer the steel plow as opposed to the poly. A little more weight, a little more down pressure, a better job![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jburglund is probably right, the AC plow probably comes as a kit and includes some sort of mounting system. I bought mine at the dealer. It was a CMP plow and the mounting plate came separate. I like the fact that I can take the plate off the machine. It is not a permanent fixture.

When you buy your plow just ask the vendor if you need to buy a mounting system separately or if it is included. You can't go wrong that way.

Quick Reply: Plow?