Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

If you guys didnt catch the comment i left on the "Rate the 500i against the other big bores in mud bogging" topic go look, Hers is the deal

I can not get the 2 front tires to lock when i apply the front brake. Every bike i have ever owened did this with ease. I got took down by a 450 foreman becasue of this. My cat just will not do it!!! I even plugged the back brake line thinking that it had something to do with the hand brake working al 4 tires. The hondas brakes will only work the front. They also have hub brakes where mine is disk. I think this has alot to do with it.

But i swear you can not make the tire you need to spin...spin. it just will not happen

I need to know what i am doing wrong!!!! I am so pissed at this bike right now

HELP!!!!

Old 03-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

The new Honda diff is excellent. It was the best limited slip I've ever owned. Much better that the Cat diff. I just use body weight to equal the weight on the front end. If you keep the weight equal (side to side) than both wheels will pull. I think heavier people have an advantage sometimes in the mud. It's easier to move the wheeler around if you got some lead in the pants.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

still

for the size of a bike with all its power,torque and ground clearance,and all the money you pay for this machine.it should have a netter front diff.

That sucks if you ask me

Im a serious ridder and very competative. There is no reason this should happen

Old 03-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

I know the feeling, I'm the same way. Like we always say out on the trail. We can smoke the Honda's, but they will be pulling us back to camp. No, wait, that's when I had the Polaris.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

next time try hitting the brake once or twice and pour the coals to it usually works for me the faster they spin the better it seems to kick in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh...........................

.....................I guess i wont be buying an Arctic Cat anytime soon....

Sorry, not trying to offend,,,,but just read the thread........

Im really sorry,,,,,,...w[epu-294ut]-2ojf;whf;

Old 03-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

I dont blame you

If i new this was happening on these bikes I never would have bought it

Old 03-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

What did you expect, Cat diff is the best of the none locking type by far. If your spinning your front tires you have NO traction, any front diff will spin both if neither have traction. I,ve seen a lot of guys try to tell me about that front brake tip but none could show me, Here's a tip IT DON'T WORK. If neither has traction it will cause both to spin, BIG DEAL. If one tire has enough traction to pull you out of a hole you will never make it transfer enough power to pull you out! FACT You say a Foreman took you down??? What does that mean, It has solid rear axle so has less traction to start with, it has less ground clearance, & it has at best a front diff equall to yours, if tires are equal & you can't out 4wheel him, YOU DO NEED driving lessons.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm with SXR6 on that brake tap thing. I've never in my life had it work for a minute. It gives the other tire a real slight tap, but nowhere near enough to get it to pull the bike out of whatever predicament its in. The Arctic Cat diff. is a very good limited slip. But of course its still a limited slip and thats all you can expect out of it. All limited slips freewheel a tire if one is in the air and the rears break traction. Watched a Rubicon spin the bejesus out of his left front trying to get out of a mudhole while the right front just sat there planted doing nothing at all.

And I watched him high center and spin all four, because no tire had traction. I guarantee if he had stopped and had somebody hold down on one of his fronts, they guy could have just held it there while the other front tire spun wildly.

All the brake tap does is put some resistance on the tires, the same as if your freewheeling tire had touched the ground and got traction for a short second, then it goes right back to spinning out again. I've heard numerous times where people have suposedly used this trick to get out of the nastiest of stuck situations, but I've never been able to do it or seen it done myself by any other person in real life. But I'm not going to sit here and say nobody has ever done it, because thats the kind of crap that just starts arguements.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

what if you split the brakes. made it where the left brake works the left tire and get a right master cylinder off a yamaha are honda and run it to your right tire. this should work because you coul stop just the tire that is freewheeling and that would transfer the power to the one that is not spinning. this is what i am in the process of doing

Quick Reply: Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"