Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Kodiak or AC400????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak or AC400????

I am going to buy a 4-wheeler this week. I have narrowed it down to either the AC 400 or a Yamaha Kodiak. Obviously, most of you who might read this are AC owners. Regardless, do you think I should get the AC or Yamaha and why??? Thanks

Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have sen the 2001 model 400 Ac do some wicked things with just stock tires on it

I also know that the 400 Kod id a great bike as well. We have both of the bikes in our group that ride with us. I like em both. I will tell you the yamahammer gets worked on all the time

Belt gets wet easily mud gets built up in the gear box and will not stay in low or sometimes high,will keep slipping out.

Cons about AC

Their stupid 3 wheel drive system. But you can Lock it Up front

Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well the Cat will ride a LOT better & have better traction with either rear sus set-up, I wouldn't worry about the Yam belt gettin wet since the KODIAK doesn't have one!!

Old 03-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

sxr6, the Kodiak is an automatic transmission quad and does, indeed, have a belt drive. They even brag that their "Automatic centrifugal clutch ensure constant, no-slip belt tension." (AC's have a similar feature).

Carrollcw, this depends on the riding you plan to do. If speed and sport are more important to you, opt for the Kodiak. I rode one several times before I bought my AC and it's a fun sporty machine. It'll also tire you out quicker. If you're more into technical slower paced trail riding, you might want to consider the AC more. It's a more comfortable ride and handles the rough stuff better. The AC also has a better suspension system as it's either fully independant (on "I" models) or has the near full independance of the "ACT" models. The Kodiak has the standard swingarm (this contributes to it's sporty feel, but hurts in the areas of comfort and dexterity).

Both are fine quads, with slightly different applications. Ultimately it's you who has to be happy with your choice so see if you can take a test ride on each. Think about your riding style and what you hope to accomplish and take that into consideration. Feel free to supply this information here on the forum and I am sure the good people here will offer their opinions.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, my family will be useing it for many purposes. First of all when it comes to just going out and having fun, I ride a CR500. We want to buy a 4 wheeler for my wife though that can go many of the places I can go on my bike.

2nd, it needs to be a well balanced machine because we have kids which will ride along with my wife sometimes.

3rd it needs to be a good bike for hunting in the mountains. It needs to be able to carry a load, be quiet, and climb well.

thanks for all the input

Old 03-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Belt gets wet easily mud gets built up in the gear box and will not stay in low or sometimes high,will keep slipping out.
That is very unusual! I've had mine up to and half way over the headlights, no problems. The only thing i can see is that he must have taken the cover off the belt to inspect it and ruined the seal? As for the the range thing, mabey it need to be adjusted up, if mine isn't all the way in gear it will slip out (only did it once-but on a hill)

If you want a fast trail machine get the Kodiak, the AC has a better ride but it's down on power. (i've driven one) It all comes down to your riding style. I've also heard of almost every '03 kodiak 400 having servo problems (the 2-4WD switch) and it no longer has low range-which i think is retarded, and they gave it rear drum brakes!!! What, are they trying to ruin it??? Make more people buy the 450??

If you had the cash i'd get the 450 Kodiak

Old 03-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

First of all when it comes to just going out and having fun, I ride a CR500. We want to buy a 4 wheeler for my wife though that can go many of the places I can go on my bike.

Either bike will probably suffice for this. Neither will be able to keep up with your CR at speed, but the Kodiak will do a little better at this.

2nd, it needs to be a well balanced machine because we have kids which will ride along with my wife sometimes.

ATV's in general are high centered and prone to tip. The Kodiak will be a little better in turns because of it's solid rear swing axle. The AC will be better in off camber situations. The AC will also be more comfortable which may contribute to rider confidence, this can be either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think the kids will be more comfortable on the AC. Just keep it slow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

3rd it needs to be a good bike for hunting in the mountains. It needs to be able to carry a load, be quiet, and climb well.

I think the AC would win here. It's got a greater rack capacity and can probably crawl over the rocks and such easier. The low gear range may come in really handy here as well.

I know this doesn't help much but I think either quad would work, but you'll be making a sacrifice either way. If most of the riding will be with the kids or on hunts, go with the AC. You'll appreciate it's load capacities and rock crawling ability there. I'd also give it the nod if your wife isn't a "speed demon" and keeping it under 50mph is the rule for her (you won't get much more out of an AC). On the other hand, if most of the usage will be you and the missus screaming through the woods at breakneck speeds, get the Kodiak, the AC will only feel like a tank in that scenario.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

I ride a '02 500 and my friend just bought a '03 Kodiak 450. I'm glad I got the AC. It's a lot more stable on everything from pavement to rocks. I have the ACT suspension that's not fully independant, but there is still a world of difference. If you have inexperienced riders or younger riders, the suspension may keep them out of trouble in a sticky situation.

The Kodiak does have a few great benefits though over the AC. The biggest is of which is the sweet 2x4/4x4 and 4x4 with diff. lock (don't know of any mechanical problems). I would really like something like that on my AC. Not only can you go from 2x4 to 4x4 to 4x4 lock with the push of a couple buttons, but you can do it on the fly. Something AC has yet to realize is in high demand.

Also, the Kodiak is a little faster. The 450 will take my 500 without a lot of fight.

A final advantage is that the Kodiak is a little more manuverable that my AC. Its a little smaller and lighter and turn easier.

But despite these advantages over the AC, I would still choose the AC. Its superior suspension, rock solid stability and bullet-proof/go anywhere abilities are far superior and give it the deciding edge on the trail.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

If your going to get a kodiak, buy the se. It has a low range, and you won't be always second guessing yourself, and its not all that much more. This is possibly the last year
for them, because they want to push the 450, also a great atv! By the way, I have a 400
(2001) with 27" mudbugs, and it has no problem throwing up the mud. Alot of fun!!! You'll know what I mean whatever atv you choose. Ride safe, and happy trails!

Old 03-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to say it, because I have an AC 500i, but for what your wanting I would go with the Kodiak 450. You should stay away from the Kodiak 400 because it will probably be discontinued after this year and you also get the locker with the 450 (you may appreciate later). If I were going to buy something for the wife and kids to ride mainly, it would be a Polaris Sportsman. They have the softest seat and ride in the business. It's also very easy to use the 4WD. They just push the button and its automatic. My wife would never want to mess with shifting gears and selecting 3wd or 4wd.

Quick Reply: Kodiak or AC400????