Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

12.50's all around

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.50's all around

HELLLL YEA

Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Listen man

I understand your therory,Yes the Cats "03 models,i now have enough wheel spin,power,torque,and ground clearance to do what you want it to do.

Imust disagree with you on the staying on top of the ud and skimming across. The only time i have seen this is with a 2 stroke polaris sport bike thats was converted to a four wheel drive. In his case the only time he could make it was if he hit it hard with all four tires slinging shi& 40 feet in the air. If he hit it like we did he would get stuck. We can ease it in and hammer the throttle a little and out we come. The reason? His bike was geared for speed our was geared for traction.

Put my AC up against a bashee,which one would win if we tied bumper to bumper?
put my Ac against the 660 grizz, which one would win tied bumper to bumper?

the answer
The AC,why? becasue of the gearing. even the 660s are geared more for sport than for utility,but not by much,not knocking the grizz but its the truth

Old 03-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I don't mean skim across the top because that will not happen with the weight of these things. Watch 4x4 trucks with big 38" and 44" tires and see what they do in the mud. They sure don't crawl unless they have enough ground clearance to not bottom out. If your going to bottom out in the mud wheep spin is whats going to get your through, keeping those tires clean is key. Thats the entire purpose of wheel spin, keeping tires clean to grab more mud on the next rotation.

Do you have an auto or manual CatKrazy? An auto will generate wheel spin much more easily than a manual will. On my 500i manual 1st gear is to slow for wheel spin but 2nd gear is just a tad underpowered, so I'm stuck with 1st gear. Many times if I had enough power to turn 2nd gear I would of made it through, instead my outlaws filled up with mud and turn to big slicks, all because I can't turn the tire fast enough to clean them.

This is how it goes:

'02 and '03 Auto 500 will make wheel spin
'02 Manual 500 will not make wheel spin
'03 Manual 500 should make wheel spin but not like an auto

With a manaul transmission you need big bore power but I refused to buy an auto when I bought my 500i. I guess I will be forced to get one on my next purchase, unless Suzuki get their act together and releases a big bore 650 twin with yellow plastic with a locker and solid axle with a manual tranny this summer. My dream quad.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Im no expert but id say if you cant spin your tires in second gear you have a problem. Consider low range 3 or 4th?

Old 03-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

My dad's quadrunner 500 would spin the outlaws in second gear, its just the 500i, its gutless. The IRS and weight of the 500i is the cause of this.

I could use low range, 2nd or 3rd gear seems to work best and I have done that in the past but then my quad would break. For me, my 500i is not reliable enough for what I do. Great machine for trails and a fair amount of mud and farm work but not for wicked serious mud thrashing, imo.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Then it sounds like you need another bike.

You contradict yourself.
#1 4x4 trucks and 4 wheelrs are two different types of machines.

I ride faithfulyy everyday,and seriously on Sat and sundays! We have anywhere from 15 to 20 bikes with us. 4 of us have ACs and only one of us habe the AC 03 500i,which is me, and im hear to tell you,you may need to consider ridding for more experience or go and get you another bike man!

click on my Arctic Cat Crazy Pics and look at the depth of the ruts and mud. My bike sets 14 1/4 inch off the ground I bottom out all the time were i ride and still manage to get out "with wheel spin

Old 03-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Actualy when you botom out you will have wheel spin,because when you bottom out you can take all four tires off while it setting there. OKnowing how to ride is key. Try leaning over untill the tires bite and then do them same on the other side and kinda walk it out. wHen i bottom out and dig out the ruts until they are waist deep, you cab rest assure that there isnt a damn bike out there,wheel spin or not that is going through they hole i just came out of

Old 03-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

BB, damn, all i have to say is... :/ I dont have big meats, but am buying Gators soon, just going to go 26x10x12 i think. (good price and seems to be a good tire) Hope it spins in the mud, i bet it will.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

lol, after you make ruts like that then no one will get across that mud hole. I don't like to destroy my mud holes like that, I want my friends to be able to go through them, I want to be able to go back through the mud hole. Rocking the quad will work sometimes but that makes massive ruts that wrecks it for everyone, I like to have fun too, I don't want to be working to pull myself and my friends out all the time...hehe.

EDIT: I do have lots of experience with 4x4 quads, about 10 years worth. So I do know how to drive them, the only problem I have had with mud holes is this 500i, its not strong enough plain and simple. My dad's quadrunner held up fine to the exact same punishement and more than my 500i and it never once broke on me and it had more power to boot. I have no faith in my '02 500i, it just to damn heavy and unreliable. If my 500i did not break on me I would be happy with it, but it broke two rear axle shafts and now I can't risk it again. Never ever has a solid axle broke on me with big tires on past quads, that says something.

EDIT 2: After looking at your pics I do the same type of riding as you with my 500i. What gear do you run in the mud?

EDIT 3: lol, so many edits. 4x4 trucks and quads are not totally different at all, they use the same components but just on a larger or smaller scale. The same principles from 4x4 trucks apply to 4x4 quads. How long have you been riding 4x4 quads?

Old 03-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I use to modify toyotas,chevys,and such, im saying there is alot of difference!!!
I notched out some boggers and i could creep in granny low and make it through mud tractors couldnt get out of

Ive been ridding quads 4x4s since the 4x4 has came out.

See there you go again contradicting your self. I dont care what kida of tire you have you going to eat out the ruts if you spin, I dont understand what you want. I think y ou just want to argue! and im not getting into pissing match you man. Go get you what ever bike you want

Quick Reply: 12.50's all around